• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help IDing the gen upon which this rep is based...

craigwanderer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/11
Hi everyone. I just purchased my first rep watch this afternoon from TimeShop. Very impressed with their customer service thus far - I had an enquiry after I had ordered and it was answered by email within half an hour. Awesome.

My question is this: Which gen is this rep based on? http://www.timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=7069 (OM7150 - OMEGA Seamaster GMT Black Dial SS/SS - Asian 21J)

It might seem like a strange choice, but after reading a bunch of threads here and elsewhere I decided to go for one which was within my budget, but which had less chance of water ingress than the standard PO and UPO. This thing will be a daily worn beater watch so an accidental dunking is almost a given. I will probably never use the GMT function, but the one I ordered was one of the few without a helium escape valve.

A couple of points for rep retailers -

1. What's the deal with the price gap? I had about US$150 budgeted for this first watch, but I was forced to go with a $78 watch. My next option was $218 which a noob such as myself is very unlikely to pay for an unknown quantity.

2. Some folks such as myself like styling more than brand names, so if a sterile version of each product line was available, there is a market out there. For instance, a sterile Fauxlex DSSD would kick arse.

I'll update this thread with pics and impressions when I receive the rep Omega.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
The one you bought...
7069-45099-thickbox.jpg

Is loosely based on this:
THUMBNAIL_(3).jpg

Yours looks to have a Rolex case and the rest is phantasy.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
looks kind of speedmasterish to me, phantasy fo sho. neat watch but not realistic ( which is ok :) )

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
it is a fantasy model, as already mentioned it is based on gmt version of 2254

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
that's a fantasy model, meaning there's no exact gen model that was copied to make that watch.

It looks like it has a Seamaster planet ocean case, a Seamaster Aqua Terra dial, and a Speedmaster Broad arrow hands. The bezel design looks like it was taken vintage Omega.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I do like this model ...

THUMBNAIL_(3).jpg

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
7069-45099-thickbox.jpg

I like this a lot! It looks familiar, but just can't put my finger on it just yet- the dial... the markers... ??? It's sharp anyway. :)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
The case looks Rolex DJ, the bezel looks Explorer, the hands look Speedmaster, and the dial looks Seamaster Professional with a Luminox chapter ring, nearly nonexistent lume, and oh so happy feet!
Weird watch, but an interesting design experiment.

craigwanderer

14/1/11
Thanks guys - exactly what I wanted to hear. A fantasy abomination which will do me just fine as a first rep.

68Olds

9/7/10
US
It seems to be a non-chrono version of the Aqua Terra GMT Chrono. It's nice looking, even if it is fantasy. This pic is from Omega's site.
aquaterragmtchrono.png

craigwanderer

14/1/11
Thanks 68olds

That explains the push buttons on the caseback photos on the TS site

7069-45105-thickbox.jpg

They were just reusing the photos of the bracelet and caseback from the AT chronos.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Good find, 68Olds!
That's exactly what it is.
Who knew Breitling was using Rolex cases and bezels?? ;-)

craigwanderer

14/1/11
Alrighty then, tracking number received and my first rep is winging its way to me. Let the games and the sickness begin.

Doesn't look like I'll get QC pics though... I'll compare the watch with the website photos when I receive it. Fingers crossed all will be well and that I don't get one of those DOA 21j watches. I'll update with pics and impressions when I receive the watch.

I have a bunch of other watches of varying grades I'd like to buy through Timesshop in the near future.

craigwanderer

14/1/11
Watch received today.

Pics are forthcoming, but firstly some observations - looking at it from a basic watch perspective rather than a replica perspective. It is a fantasy model after all.

Being my first rep, I was struck by the weight - it really is a hefty watch - in a good way. The construction is good. The assembly is excellent - the only machining marks visible are between the lugs. The crystal is set in place correctly and the crown screws open and closed very smoothly without a hint that it will cross thread. The lume is effective for maybe 6 hours once it has been exposed to bright incandescent light. Ambient light from fluorescent tubes here in my office doesn't really recharge the lume at all. The single sided AR on the crystal works well and the whole watch looks awesome when it's polished up with just a microfibre cloth.

The 21j movement has been quite reliable over the past 12 hours - losing only about 10 seconds over that period. The GMT function works fine.

The bracelet and clasp are good. Brushed finish.

There are a couple of problems I can see with the watch...

1. the dial has a small mark below the date window. This appears to have resulted from a tool or something used during assembly of the watch.

2. The caseback is a PO back and the depth rating on the case back doesn't match the rating on the dial.

All in all it's a decent quality watch and if it wasn't a "black market" rep, you could (even with the mark on the dial) expect to easily pay several hundred dollars. If this watch is typical of the quality of reps, even considering this is a low-end replica watch, there is no doubt that we are getting awesome bang for the buck.

Would I purchase again from the same seller? Probably not, but I am grateful that I actually received the watch and that it is functional for the time being at least. Of course, for US$88 shipped it was a great deal.

Pics to follow after I drag out the camera.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
1. What's the deal with the price gap? I had about US$150 budgeted for this first watch, but I was forced to go with a $78 watch. My next option was $218 which a noob such as myself is very unlikely to pay for an unknown quantity.

I feel your pain. The cost of the movement is what creates that gap. 21Js on the low end, 7750s or the like on the higher end. Since the movement costs more, the rest of the watch is usually a little nicer also. Many times I'd be perfectly happy with a 21J watch in a 7750 case.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Op, where did you see a version of this watch (at gmt chrono) with a 7750 movement? Which site?

craigwanderer

14/1/11
Op, where did you see a version of this watch (at gmt chrono) with a 7750 movement? Which site?

Sorry thedoover, the watch I bought was from Timesshop. I didn't see a version of it with a 7750 movement.

My previous comment about the price gap was a general one not specific to the watch model I bought.