• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hand winding a A2836

iPwnage

I'm Pretty Popular
1/6/14
Hi guys,

I know there have been some threads about this spread across all watch forums, but IMHO there is no clear stement about it.

Is it bad to hand wind a (serviced) A2836?

I always thought that I had killed my Noob Submariners A2836 by handwinding, the problem was that when screwing out the crown and trying to wind, it felt like cracking some gear wheels teeth of. But after some research and removing the Stem+Crown I found out that the crown is like slipping through, so I think this wasnt a movement issue.

Currently I own a Omega Planet Ocean GMT with a Zocker4711 serviced A2836, which I sometimes handwind, because the amplitude was quite low on the timegrapher.

So please tell me, will I kill my Omega by hand winding? [emoji16]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
I've read in certain places that handwinding clone isn't ideal. It puts a lot of stress on the winding components and the clone parts aren't built as strong as the ETAs. At least that's my understanding.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
No it shouldn't. And you also shouldn't need to hand wind it more than 10 rounds from cold before wearing it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
I wind every single watch 40 times. Automatic or not. You get the best time keeping when you do that.

iPwnage

I'm Pretty Popular
1/6/14

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
I always thought that I had killed my Noob Submariners A2836 by handwinding, the problem was that when screwing out the crown and trying to wind, it felt like cracking some gear wheels teeth of.
Personally my guess is the winding pawls. They're critical to the engaging the automatic winding system but need to "slip" when you hand wind. The Asian versions are really shitty so it's best to either wind VERY carefully, replace with gen ETA ($30.. I'll be posting a tutorial soon), or use a winding box to limit the need to hand wind.

Mine went out on my Omega PO so it's the first thing I replace once I strip, clean, and lube the movement.

D

d4m.test

The question really is why You have to wind. Does it loose more than 30 seconds per day? Does it stop after 10 hours?
I don´t wind asian ETA´s and they run fine, power reserve is good and they never stop when on the wrist. It it wouldn´t be like that, I knew there was something wrong. The point being: if there is no need to wind why do it?

Godly35

11/6/15
I wind all my automatic watches, both gen and rep and they've been fine. Just make sure you do it slowly and firmly.

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
The question really is why You have to wind.

No watch winder to keep them wound when they're out of rotation, desk job with little movement to wind, then of course technical problems, but certainly enough legit reasons a fully functional auto would run out of power.

D

d4m.test

The pragmatic approach: automatic watches were invented to relief problems manual winding watches had with damaging crowns, stems and tubes by regular winding.
As they are automatic, they are not "designed" to be manually wound regularly in the first place, this includes materials (soft metals) partially used and applied.

If there are high grade and low grade swiss ETA´s there is one tier below: the asian ETA. Just suppose not everything is in "perfect and lubricated" condition and imho whoever has a need for regularly winding the automatic is better off putting it on a winder.

The F6 2824 handwinding thread with links to everything else:)
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2824-handwinding-thread-866942.html