• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hand-wind Omega Speedmaster Professional “Moon Watch†guide

Ev

Horology Curious
9/2/08
Hi everyone.

Well, I recently bought my first rep, a hand-wind Speedmaster Pro “Moon Watchâ€. You can read my review of it here.

Before buying this watch I did a fair bit of research and found that there are several different manual Moon Watch replicas around, each subtly different from the others. I thought I’d share what I’ve discovered to perhaps save some legwork for anyone else looking for a Moon Watch rep now or in the future. Hope you find it useful.

A few points before I begin:

- The information below is correct as of February 2008.

- All the information has been gleaned from dealers’ images and descriptions, not from viewing the actual watches (well, with the exception of the one I eventually bought).

- I’ve ignored automatic-movement Moon Watch reps. There are automatic versions out there, though – you’ll probably find some amongst the Speedmaster auctions on cqout.com, for example. Automatic Moon Watches tend to be considerably cheaper than the manual ones (around a third of the price). Some even have more-or-less correct sub-dial spacing and claim to have a case that’s a full and correct 42mm across – two things all the manual reps don’t have. You might want to check some of the other details, though. For example, I’ve seen one with “tachymetre†spelt “tachymeterâ€â€¦

- There are other manual Moon Watch reps available in addition to those that I mention below – again, you’ll probably find some amongst the Speedmaster auctions on cqout.com. I’ve only looked at those reps available from a handful of dealers with good reputations. That’s not to say you should ignore what you can get elsewhere, though.

- For all I know, the dealers I’ve mentioned below may now be offering different Speedmaster reps to those I’ve associated them with. Check before you buy.

- Please note my comments on these watches are by no means an indication of their quality or of the reputation of the dealers selling them. For what it’s worth, all the dealers I communicated with during my search were very helpful.

Details all these replicas have in common:

- The sub-dials are too far apart compared to the gen watch. Then again, their positioning is similar to that found on the genuine Speedmaster Reduced (reference 3539.50.00 pictured in this link), although that watch has an automatic movement and is only 35.5mm in diameter…

- All have the same “Lemania†manual movement.

- All have the small hour dial slaved to the main hour hand, although you can freeze the hour dial if you’re feeling brave.

- All have sapphire front glass – this is available on the genuine watch in 3573.50.00 spec, although the watches that went to the moon would have had Hesalite crystals (reference 3570.50.00). Sapphire is less likely to scratch, though…

- All have display backs – again, this is available on the genuine watch in 3573.50.00 spec, although the watches that went to the moon would have had solid backs (reference 3570.50.00)

A word about diameters

I think there may be some confusion about how to measure a Moon Watch, leading to the diameters being quoted by some rep dealers being smaller than they should be. Omega says the “case diameter†of a genuine Speedmaster Pro is 42mm, yet some rep dealers are quoting 39 or 40mm for their reps. However, I suspect this may be because these dealers are measuring just the bezel (which is raised up from the rest of the case) and not the case behind it, which would add another two or three millimetres, giving a size the same as Omega quotes for the gen. My theory is supported by Mitton Mar, who in his second post in this thread on the rwg.cc forum says he measured both his gen and his rep and found them to be identical in diameter. In his second post in this thread on the repgeek.com forum, roflwaffle backs this up by saying he has measured his rep with a digital calliper and found its measurements match those of the gen watch.

That’s not to say there aren’t smaller reps out there, though, so it might be worth checking exactly what your chosen dealer is measuring before you buy.

First, for comparison purposes, a genuine Omega Moon Watch

speedmastergen.jpg

You might want to get this picture open in another window to hold side-by-side with the images below.

Now for the replicas…

1. The one with the thick silver ring

speedmasterrep1.jpg

Distinguishing features/detail accuracy:
- Dots either side of the 12 o’clock marker are too far out from the marker (incorrect)
- Thick silver ring inside the bezel (incorrect)
- Accent over the first E in “tachymetre†is barely more than a dot (slightly incorrect)
- No serifs on the 1s on the bezel (correct)
- Much smaller gap between 100 and the bar to its right on the bezel than from the same bar to 110 (incorrect)
- No case visible between bezel and crown when watch face is viewed square-on (correct)
- 36mm in diameter according to Trusty Time’s website. Trusty Time also confirmed by e-mail that it’s a “reduced†model. However, my note “A word about diametersâ€, above, explains why the quoted measurement for this watch may be incorrect (incorrect?)

Opinion:
Good details, but is it too small?

Available from:
- Trusty Time
- Eddie Lee

2. The one with the heavy font on the bezel

speedmasterrep2.jpg

- Dots either side of the 12 o’clock marker are close to the marker (correct)
- No silver ring inside the bezel? (incorrect)
- No accent over the first E in “tachymetre†(incorrect)
- Serifs on the top and bottom of the 1s on the bezel (incorrect), and the font seems heavy (incorrect)
- Gap between 100 and the bar to its right on the bezel virtually equal to that from the same bar to 110 (correct)
- Case can be seen between bezel and crown when watch face is viewed square-on (this can be found on a gen Speedmaster Reduced, but not a gen full-size Speedmaster) (incorrect)
- 40mm in diameter according to Perfect Clones. “Diameter is too small†adds a review of this watch on the replica-watches-guide.com forum. However, my note “A word about diametersâ€, above, explains why the quoted measurement for this watch may be incorrect (incorrect?)

Opinion:
Poor details.

Available from:
- Perfect Clones

3. The one that might be ‘Reduced’

speedmasterrep3.jpg

- No silver ring inside the bezel? (incorrect)
- No accent over the first E in “tachymetre†(incorrect)
- Serifs on the top of the 1s on the bezel (slightly incorrect)
- Ever so slightly larger gap between 100 and the bar to its right on the bezel than from the same bar to 110 (slightly incorrect)
- Case can be seen between bezel and crown when watch face is viewed square-on (this can be found on a gen Speedmaster Reduced, but not a gen full-size Speedmaster) (incorrect)
- 40mm in diameter according to Best Swiss and Pam111.com, although auctions of what appears to be this watch by jiuli9 on cqout.com claim just 38mm. In his review of what appears to be this watch By-Tor says it is “Reduced … The difference in diameter (2-3mm) isn't too dramaticâ€. My note “A word about diametersâ€, above, explains why there is confusion here (incorrect?)

Opinion:
OK details, but is it too small?

Available from:
- Best Swiss
- Pam111.com
- jiuli9 on cqout.com

4. The 50th Anniversary one

speedmasterrep4.jpg

- Silver ring inside the bezel (correct)
- Decent-sized accent over the first E in “tachymetre†(correct)
- Much smaller gap between 100 and the bar to its right on the bezel than from the same bar to 110 (incorrect)
- No case visible between bezel and crown when watch face is viewed square-on (correct)
- 50th Anniversary logo at 12 o’clock (could be considered incorrect if it’s not a 50th Anniversary watch you want!)
- 42mm in diameter at its widest point, 43mm including the crown, 39mm across the bezel. These measurements were taken by roflwaffle using a digital calliper (see his second post in this thread on the repgeek.com forum). Both Trusty Time and Perfect Clones say this watch is 40mm, but my note “A word about diametersâ€, above, explains why there may be confusion here (correct)

Opinion:
Good details, if you can live with the 50th Anniversary logo at 12 o’clock.

Available from:
- Precious Time (click link then from the menu select Omega > Speedmaster Moon Watch 50th Anniversary)
- Trusty Time
- Perfect Clones

5. The one that the 50th Anniversary is based on (or vice versa)

And also the one I bought!

speedmasterrep5.jpg

- Silver ring inside the bezel (correct)
- Decent-sized accent over the first E in “tachymetre†(correct)
- 42mm in diameter at its widest point, 43mm including the crown, 39mm across the bezel. These measurements were taken from a 50th Anniversary rep (which shares the same case as this watch) by roflwaffle using a digital calliper (see his second post in this thread on the repgeek.com forum). They match my own, less accurate measurements of my watch. Ruby quoted the 39mm measurement to me, although my note “A word about diametesâ€, above, explains why there is confusion here (correct)

Opinion:
Best details.

Available from:
- Nice Replica (Ruby, email [email protected])

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice review. Very helpfull and timely since a speedmaster is on my short list. What annoys me is its such LITTLE things that they get wrong, fonts, that bezel marking such easily corrected stuff. You wonder if the dealers give two hoots since it would be easy to have this sort of mistake corrected. Pity the actual makers don't read these sites. I for one would pay dam good money for a exact appearing rep with a good swiss movment, If you wanted real flash a gen Omega 1140 is arround 680USD retail.

Regards, Col.

vinnylfc

Looking Around
1/9/08
brill guide im total newbie watches/pc,s you have made up my mind for me ,ive been looking at the same and the 50th ann as well ,why did u pick the standard over the 50th was it personal choice ?or do you thik it looks more legit? ps hope my computer skills (not) dont annoy anyone to much ,,,any advice welcome

frenzalrhomb

Known Member
2/8/08
Great work. I did almost the same with these watches and decided I would become annoyed by the sub dial spacing. I've bookmarked this incase I change my mind.
By the way I think the quartz rep's have a better sub dial spacing if anyone wants to try that route.

Great work thanks a lot.

What are you investigating next?

coling

17/10/08
Thanks for the info Ev, have just turned the key/ fired the engine/ pulled the trigger for same model

tenshin2002

3/1/09
Does anybody know if a gen solid caseback and crystal for The Moon watch will fit on the replica from Ruby?