• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got my first Omega today!

Patek986

28/12/06
Well my first Omega came today from Andrew, the Seamaster (2005) GMT. I'm surprised at how much I like it! I'm more of a Lange & Sohne, Vacheron, Patek, etc. kind of guy. For $98 I'm amazed how real this turkey looks. Too bad I have to wait until Monday when I see my friend who has the tools for taking the links out of the bracelet - All my other reps are leather strapped. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this beautifully finished watch from TrustyTime. I'm trying to expand my taste a little into these much "loved" types. Now can somebody tell what the heck is it that attracts people to Panarai? I don't think I could make that leap.

P.S. Watches are cool......

Jim

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Hey Jim,

Congrats on your Omega!

Watches are nice.. and to answer your question about Panerai...

I resisted for quite some time, and then took the plunge..

something about a Pannie... hard to say just what it is... but sweet...

at any rate,

enjoy!

Life is Good!
Klink

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
Patek986 said:
Well my first Omega came today from Andrew, the Seamaster (2005) GMT. I'm surprised at how much I like it! I'm more of a Lange & Sohne, Vacheron, Patek, etc. kind of guy. For $98 I'm amazed how real this turkey looks. Too bad I have to wait until Monday when I see my friend who has the tools for taking the links out of the bracelet - All my other reps are leather strapped. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this beautifully finished watch from TrustyTime. I'm trying to expand my taste a little into these much "loved" types. Now can somebody tell what the heck is it that attracts people to Panarai? I don't think I could make that leap.

P.S. Watches are cool......

Jim

Give it time jim. My initial reaction was "what is WRONG with these people?"

after 2 or 3 months of being on this forum, it grew on me and i went out to an AD to try one on and loved it. Got me a nice pannie now and it is my 2nd favorite watch next to my omega PO. There was no way in the world i thought i would make that leap but here i am with a pannie and a multitude of straps.

i guess you can just write it off as ***Acquired Taste***

D

d4m.test

Quick question about ur 2005 GMT...
Is the date window black or white??

Patek986

28/12/06
dhk223 said:
Quick question about ur 2005 GMT...
Is the date window black or white??

It is white background with black numbers. The window itself (on the watch face) has the white outline - it makes the date really "pop" out, it's really nice. I got the blue face/bezel one by the way.

Patek986

28/12/06
Klink/Crick - Yea, my friend hated them like me, I mean hated them(we talked about them a month ago). Then on Wednesday he said "Hey, I'm thinking about this watch, what do you think?" It was a Panarai! I was like....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Tried to steer him towards an IWC or something else. He said, "yea, I hated them, but now they are starting to grow on me..." He joined this forum 1 month ago. But, he has a gen Omega and when I saw it I was like, hmm.. no that's not me, I don't like it. 2 months later and now i have one. Crazy thing these watches!
Jim

norphaedrus

Horology Curious
23/12/06
Hi

Also just received by first rep today - Omega SMP. All in all, it is pretty nice. The chronos do not work at all, but I will never use them so I guess it's no big deal. I am having a hard time keeping the clasp closed. Even without pressing the release, it comes open pretty easily.

Patek986

28/12/06
Couldn't post a picture if I tried. Not only do I not have a clue how to do it, but our camera is a kodak Easyshare. You have to be at least 3 feet away in order for it to take pictures. You can barely see the watch in the picture, haha..

Norphaedrus: Are you pinching the to buttons on the clasp while you shut it on your wrist and then releasing the two buttons, then press down on it so both the buttons pop out all the way. Good luck, perhaps it's something stupid such as not doing something right.

norphaedrus

Horology Curious
23/12/06
I took the clasp apart and bent the spring inside inwards slightly. That seems to hold it.

The buttons popped out all the way. The problem was that even full expanded the two springs inside controlled by the buttons had too much spacing allowing the catch to slip through with the slightest pull. It is still not perfect but requires a little more effort to accidentally open it.