• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got a first rep : Omega SMP GMT from watcheden

gesprungen

Horology Curious
1/7/10
Got my first rep : Omega SMP GMT from watcheden

Hiya,

When I was doing research for my would-be-first rep, there were lots of complains about the dealer.

I was little concerned but couldn't resist their $20 off coupon, so I ordered it, thinking 'whatever, it's a rep anyway'

I received the watch today, the shipping took about two weeks, which is pretty good considering it crossed the pacific.

My first impression was, it was fantastic and worth the money. The date worked and GMT worked, I set them to my pacific time and they are great.

But it showed some faulty mistakes after some careful examination. Such was shoddy metal finish, shaky clasp, stiff bracelet etc.

It took me half an hour to adjust bracelets to my size because the pins were so tightly put and not even greased in.

But overall, if I'm just going to wear it everyday without worrying about scratches, nook and crannies, this is a wonderful watch.

One thing concerning me is its waterproof ability. As a frequent swimmer, I hope my watch to stay on all the time. I read all the tutorials about waterproofing, but lacking tools, I couldn't even open the caseback. Think I'd better take it to local jeweller.

<script src='http://img822.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=p1040139s.jpg' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>
<script src='http://img227.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=p1040143m.jpg' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>
<script src='http://img375.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=p1040145.jpg' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript> </noscript>

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
yeah, don't get it wet. Even fakemaster, who does quality work, doesn't recommend getting them wet unless proofed and tested. I have one of his and while it's cool to wear it in the pool, I haven't done it yet.
Congrats on the watch. Looks great.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
+1 on watchdoc's suggestions.

I love the Omega SMP!

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
A local jeweler? Maybe a local watchsmith, but first ask if he'll work on reps. Some do, some don't.

If you want to wear a watch while in the water, get a gen dive watch. Or a rep from fakey that's sealed and tested.

Just my $0.02 USD.

D

d4m.test

Wonderful watch! I'm impressed to see the bezel aligned, I've seen from other SMP's that the bezel is awfully misaligned. I hope this is changed now as I have always loved the blue bond watch!

mwesten

Known Member
7/7/09
Beautiful watch gesprungen, I love Omegas!!

About waterproofing, it's really not hard or expensive to do. Most local hardware stores will sell silicone grease and waterproof epoxy (for the HRV) and you can buy the equipment off amazon for less than $20 including shipping.

Just MAKE SURE to get it tested before going in the water with it, unless you're really willing to throw it away afterword.

Congrats on your purchase!

Cheers!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The points on the bezel should be aligned with the numbers and markers on the insert. They do look off to me in the pics.

p1040143m.jpg

And all of this matters if your into the whole 1:1 thing BTW.
Which I am sometimes. :wacko:

As far as the HEV goes, some of them are already sealed. I have opened at least 10 SMP or PO's and three had the HEV tube that didn't go all the way through the case. :thumbsup:

D

d4m.test

I think it's more about if the watch is placed next to the genuine piece, the misaligned bezel is an automatic give away. But, the SMP's I've seen from pictures have horribly misaligned bezels - but yours looked fine to me!

D

d4m.test

yeah, don't get it wet. Even fakemaster, who does quality work, doesn't recommend getting them wet unless proofed and tested. I have one of his and while it's cool to wear it in the pool, I haven't done it yet.
Congrats on the watch. Looks great.

doesn't recommend getting them wet unless proofed and tested - Yes, Yes ... water does no good to reps,

journeyman68

Horology Curious
8/9/09
I just don't get this wanting to wear a watch in the pool thing. If you're a diver and functionally need it, then ok, but how long is the normal person going to be in a pool that they need a watch on. Even if it's waterproof, the water will leave marks on the steel and you'll just have to clean it later. Who needs the hassle.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I just don't get this wanting to wear a watch in the pool thing. If you're a diver and functionally need it, then ok, but how long is the normal person going to be in a pool that they need a watch on. Even if it's waterproof, the water will leave marks on the steel and you'll just have to clean it later. Who needs the hassle.

True, but on the other hand, oils, salt and everyday contaminants will leave a residue as well. So you should clean them with warm soapy water anyway and if it's not proofed.... Besides, when I swim, I want to know what time it is underwater for my tea parties. ;)

ilovetrains

2/9/10

counterpoint - one of the draws for me of the gen watches (I own a Rolex SUB) is that I never actually have to take it off, if I don't want to. I wore it in the pool all the time, ocean, lake etc. It got washed every time I took a shower. The patina a well worn watch has is a style all its' own.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
counterpoint - one of the draws for me of the gen watches (I own a Rolex SUB) is that I never actually have to take it off, if I don't want to. I wore it in the pool all the time, ocean, lake etc. It got washed every time I took a shower. The patina a well worn watch has is a style all its' own.

I like the not so polished look better myself. Not saying I like em dirty, just not straight out of the store.

Please show me this patina. Is it actually on you Sub? :lol:

ilovetrains

2/9/10
web5u.jpg

The top watch is my gen Sub. the bottom is the Noob. The gen is an early 70's vintage, it belonged to my Dad. I had the bracelet replaced in 1991 or 1992. In 2002 the local AD sent it back to Rolex to be re-worked. They had a special name for the service, but they replaced the dial with new (which po'd me b/c I liked the older dial with red lettering better), re-lumed or replaced the hands and pearl (not sure which, polished etc.)

I wore it basically every single day from 1990 to 2009. It looks like it too. I wore it in the pool, shower and while swimming/diving. I wore it while I was working on cars, etc. It has been beat around etc., but continues to run without any problem. When sent back to Rolex in 02 it was gaining about 2-3 minutes per day. they repaired whatever was wrong.