• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gold Plating Durability 1 Year Review - Clean Factory 116518 "Pikachu" (Spoilers : I don't recommend it)

zcali

Horology Curious
8/4/24
United States
Personally I think this only happens on Oysterflex Gold models. The rubber rubbing on the case traps moisture and causes consistent tarnishing.

I own 2 more gold replicas and neither have tarnished at all.

I'm actually looking to get a two tone bluesy soon so we'll see how that goes haha
Thanks for sharing this! I'm a new member, and JUST purchased a john mayer daytona rep. (Waiting on the qc pics now) I'm very glad to hear that you have had some good experience with gold reps.

Reactions: revolver-pardalis

revolver-pardalis

Looking Around
17/4/24
Thank you for this review. I recently bought a BTF Daytona 116508 (Black dial) in yellow gold. I took off the metal bracelet and bought an oysterflex strap and endlinks, to preserve the metal bracelet from tarnishing and gold plating wearing off. After reading that the rubber strap accelerates tarnishing of the case, I quickly went back to the metal bracelet.

Here's a question; since inevitably my watch will tarnish, economically speaking, should I have the case and bracelet de-plated, and get a new dial and hands to make it like a steel model (like a 116500) or should I re-plate it in 18k? After re-plating, won't it tarnish again? Is removal of the gold plating expensive?

revolver-pardalis

Looking Around
17/4/24
Thanks for sharing this! I'm a new member, and JUST purchased a john mayer daytona rep. (Waiting on the qc pics now) I'm very glad to hear that you have had some good experience with gold reps.
I too was about to get the John Mayer but went with the Black dial version. The John Mayer Daytona looks amazing! Did you get a Clean or BTF?

Reactions: zcali

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Thank you for this review. I recently bought a BTF Daytona 116508 (Black dial) in yellow gold. I took off the metal bracelet and bought an oysterflex strap and endlinks, to preserve the metal bracelet from tarnishing and gold plating wearing off. After reading that the rubber strap accelerates tarnishing of the case, I quickly went back to the metal bracelet.

Here's a question; since inevitably my watch will tarnish, economically speaking, should I have the case and bracelet de-plated, and get a new dial and hands to make it like a steel model (like a 116500) or should I re-plate it in 18k? After re-plating, won't it tarnish again? Is removal of the gold plating expensive?

Keep it as it is. You will be safe for 1-3 years mostly sure. Then you can plate it new.