• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going "full" franken UPO need some advice

TheCold

15/8/09
So the time is finally here to transform my mini-franken UPO to a true franken with gen dial and date wheel. Currently I have finedd AR which is really nice but has a very limited golden tint in some angles. I know this tint is inaccurate but is it worth it to get a gen sapphire or another one with blue tint? How are other ARs compared to finedd? Since the tint is golden it doesn't look strange since it looks to only reflect the "true" color of yellow light (if you get what I mean). I can't decide since I don't want to waste too much money on something that doesn't change the apperance much except the tint.

All comments are thoughts are welcome!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Gen is totally worth every peny, believe me i have seen the difference.

But if you want to save money grab one of those sunny is offering, they must be good from what i read... If i was building one at the moment i would give it a try for sure!

Sent from X=0,Y=0,Z=0

TheCold

15/8/09
Gen is totally worth every peny, believe me i have seen the difference.

But if you want to save money grab one of those sunny is offering, they must be good from what i read... If i was building one at the moment i would give it a try for sure!

Sent from X=0,Y=0,Z=0

So even if you already had a double sided AR its worth a new one for the blueish tint?

Thanks for the response Pap!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I am not 100% sure but i think that there were two types of gen crystals, the first one had a stronger blue tint which is close to sunny's crystal...

So if you want to be closer to the real thing i woulf go for that. You can sell the one you have now so the difference in the money would almost zero.

Sent from X=0,Y=0,Z=0

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I went gen crystal. I've done this with two Omegas and one Rolex franken and I have to say I will never go back.

I've had a few aftermarket ARs and they were nice too, but I always had problems with fine scratches and swirls. With gen crystals its never been a problem.

It's a lot of money gen crystals, I guess it's all about how one justifies the value. Gen crystals have never been my first mod but once I do swap them im always happy about it.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes, i totally agree. If you install a gen dial also, gen crystal is the only option for me.

It just make a huge difference. Never regret buying the gen also...

OmegaPOFL

Renowned Member
10/3/09
Do u have gen crown and tube? that's more impt. than an AR job :)

gen dial, blueish tint to AR, gen hands and dw would be great

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
+1 ... Mr Pap gen Crystal + Gen dial + gen hands make a big difference

@ the Cold : check my thread about the ultra Franken UPO and you'll understand ... :)

TheCold

15/8/09
Thanks for all your comments! Decided to exchange my finedd ARd crystal for Sunnydales which has a more blueish tint as the gen, In the future I might exchange it for the gen crystal but in the meantime I have to save "some" money so the franken doesn't take it all :p. Got the gen dial today and all I can say is ... WOW I never thought the difference was that great between the rep and the gen dial its like night and day. Awaiting sunny dales crystal and I will send it of all to wiz who will turn this thing into a beauty Im sure of it!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Nice!!! I will be watching this also!!! If you see a night and day difference on the dial, i only imagine what you will say if/when you get the gen crystal... lol

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
If you can get good clear transparent aftermarket AR it comes close to gen imo. Of course the gen is spectacular but old dare I say it Taka AR and next Cheif AR looks very transparent and pretty close, which is hallmark of the gen AR. Some of the other AR's like finedd are nice but have a different tint and also not transparent enough. I would be interested in seeing other AR's!

TheCold

15/8/09
If you can get good clear transparent aftermarket AR it comes close to gen imo. Of course the gen is spectacular but old dare I say it Taka AR and next Cheif AR looks very transparent and pretty close, which is hallmark of the gen AR. Some of the other AR's like finedd are nice but have a different tint and also not transparent enough. I would be interested in seeing other AR's!

Too bad none of those ARs are avaliable anymore though :/ Although the first version of sapphire on the planet ocean had a blueish/purple tint so when getting sunnydales sapphire it will look more like the v1 and in the meantime save some money. With his crystal and all the mods it will still look really close to gen since the crystal will match the old one :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Too bad none of those ARs are avaliable anymore though :/ Although the first version of sapphire on the planet ocean had a blueish/purple tint so when getting sunnydales sapphire it will look more like the v1 and in the meantime save some money. With his crystal and all the mods it will still look really close to gen since the crystal will match the old one :)
yeah, absolutely the original PO had a nice blue/purple tint, so this sunnydale AR should be pefect.... the main thing is to get very transparent AR regardless of tints, even if the tints are a little out, it is no biggy, some may be concerned about getting tints perfectly accurate but Omega AR is probably one of the most transparent (no glass effect) AR's out there, much better than gen IWC AR for instance, and that effect is what is needed to really make the dial pop. It will be cool to see sunnydales AR, we need more AR guys these days! :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I would stick with the SunnyD Crystal for a while. We might be able to get the Gen V2 crystal at a later date. I can see a difference on my Gen 2500D PO compared to my FrUPO and Fr4GPO which had the V1 Gen crystals.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I still have the rep one in my Fr5.5GPO.......

SAM_1827b.png

SAM_1822b.png

Shown on Gen rubber.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
wow! thats is the rep crystal? I couldnt have guessed... It seems really good Q!

TheCold

15/8/09
I would stick with the SunnyD Crystal for a while. We might be able to get the Gen V2 crystal at a later date. I can see a difference on my Gen 2500D PO compared to my FrUPO and Fr4GPO which had the V1 Gen crystals.

Would you rate the sunnyD crystal as better or worse compared to the V1 gen crystal? In terms of reflection and no-glass effect?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Would you rate the sunnyD crystal as better or worse compared to the V1 gen crystal? In terms of reflection and no-glass effect?

I would rate it as the best alternative to the gen. Meaning, if given the choice and cost factor, I would go with the Sunny. I would only go gen if its the latest colorless version. Get it quick though, Sunny only has 3 left for the UPO. I think he is going to start a 42MM thread gauging interest for 100 lucky members, I am buying one for sure.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Thanks for the info, Good to know there may be some 42mm versions on the horizon :)