• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
mickeypro said:
Does anyone use the GMT feature on their watch?

To me it is something that is just there. As long as its accurate its just another needle that goes round and round. I use it a little bit at work since all of our mainframes and tandems are in GMT time as well as the satellite.

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
triple-d said:
A stupid question here-----what DOES THE gmt DIAL INDICATE?

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time which is universal time. Your computer calculates time by substrafting hours from GMT so central time now is GMT -5 when in not in daylight savings or GMT-6 when in daylight savings time.

The long version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
Thanks for the info. Obviously I don't use the GMT option since I don't know what it is. BUT...... I like all those extra dials hanging around...know what I mean?

Later :D

david-syd

Renowned Member
25/5/06
I do use the GMT feature... I set it as another local time where my family is.

ie. everything I am away for business... I know what local time my home.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
triple-d said:
Thanks for the info. Obviously I don't use the GMT option since I don't know what it is. BUT...... I like all those extra dials hanging around...know what I mean?

Later :D

GMT hand simply rotate 2X slower than your normal hour hand... so full round of GMT = 24 hours. Watches with GMT function have (should all have) a bezel with markers indicating this... so where "6" is should be marked "12" on the bezel, so on. GMT should be able to be set independently of the hour-hand so users can set it for a second time zone.

GMT function on rep works well. I have a Rolex Exp II myself and it works.

Joe

towcat

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/3/06
I haven't worn a watch for years until I started having business interests on two continents. Its alot easier glancing at the watch and figuring out if I am waking someone up or not. As long as I can justify the reason for wearing the watch, I'll wear it. Otherwise, my cell phone has time and alarm, so the watch really isn't needed before. My preferences are adjustable GMT hand or if not adjustable, the bezel with the 24hr marks needs to be. If not, the watch is a paperweight. Only exception is my 45mm pumpkin :D I wear it every now and then.

lumpyone

7/1/07
i use mine all the time. i'm into astronomy and gmt is teh offical time used in this field.

drhydro

23/3/06
I use it all the time, too- I talk several times a week with colleagues in Germany, Denmark, Shanghai, etc- and it's always useful in setting up meetings.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I used it a lot. My family is located 1 timezone away. Sometimes I set it to GMT as many of my friends is in Europe.

Panerino

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/06
I usually set it when I receive the watch so it's accurate to mean time and than I don't pay much attention to it 8)

Highflyingclive

15/3/06
I travel a lot.. so the GMT feature is really useful. When I'm not travelling, it is helpful to know whether now is a good time to call my colleagues in China.

I have lots of GMT watches... if fact, I try (with little success) to limit my rep purchases to GMT watches only.

Are there any manufacturers reading this thread? I want a Radiomir GMT. Please...