• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Question

evan

31/3/06
On a Rolex GMT, at what point should the GMT hand snap to the new hour? For example, I have my GMT hand set to move as a 24 hour on the same time zone as the hands. It does not snap to 4 p.m. until 4:15. Any thoughts?

PS the GMT is unable to be set independently due to a fall but the wheel was replaced by a watch maker.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
evan said:
On a Rolex GMT, at what point should the GMT hand snap to the new hour? For example, I have my GMT hand set to move as a 24 hour on the same time zone as the hands. It does not snap to 4 p.m. until 4:15. Any thoughts?

PS the GMT is unable to be set independently due to a fall but the wheel was replaced by a watch maker.
Why not see what time the date changes over. If it's also 00:15, just get your watchmaker to move the hands back 15 min. :D

evan

31/3/06
Ok, check this out. I popped the crown and started adjusting the time backwards (about 10 days worth) and now it is pretty much synced. Any thoughts on this? Bad for the watch?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
evan said:
Ok, check this out. I popped the crown and started adjusting the time backwards (about 10 days worth) and now it is pretty much synced. Any thoughts on this? Bad for the watch?
I wonder if your hands are loose.

I wish I had a GMT that jumped from hour to hour :(

evan

31/3/06
Sorry, Pug. I miss typed. It does not jump, it just moves like normal. Does this change your assessment?

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Does your date change at 12:00 or 12:15, if 12 the gmt hand needs to be adjusted, if 12:15 the your minute hand.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
evan said:
Sorry, Pug. I miss typed. It does not jump, it just moves like normal. Does this change your assessment?
It makes it normal. However, the problem sounds like you just need to set the GMT hand, which you can't do apparently, and the winding makes it sound like a loose hand or loose insides.

If it's a loose hand, it's annoying but fixable. If it's a loose bit inside, there's little that can be done.

To be honest, because this is a repaired watch, all bets are off.

evan

31/3/06
That sucks because it is a watch with over $800 invested in it with mods. I need to get a new movement, especially since the GMT does not set independently. Damn