• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master II Bruce Wayne or Submariner?

hannebambell

Getting To Know The Place
10/7/24
Hi there,

I am currently looking for my first rep and I am torn between a couple of watches. I fell in love with the new “Bruce Wayne” and I like the GMT because it can be worn with a jubilee which looks somehow classier but I assume it is also more comfortable than the oyster strap. On the other hand, the Submariner is an icon (compared to the grey/black bezel of the GMT) and almost everyone likes and recognizes it. However, I have worn a shitter sub for a couple of times and the oyster didn’t feel comfortable on my wrist (because my little bone on the wrist is quite visible and my wrist quite skinny) and when I had the best “fit”, the crown stitched into my hand when I moved my hand up. That was really annoying and hurtful.

In terms of quality of the watches: For the Submariner I would go for the VSF which are supposed to be very flawless overall. Maybe the xtal, the date (in case it will be a date) and the gasket should be changed.

For the GMT, it gets a bit more complicated. I would prefer the Clean, but imho the bezel of the Bruce Wayne is the number 1 call out. The ARF seems to be a bit better, but both do not seem very similar to the gen. Especially the depth of the numbers seems to be off. So I guess I have to change that as well. Do you have any advice?

So basically I am torn between the GMT, Sub date and no date. The no date would be the cheapest option because not many things have to be changed.

Happy to receive any thoughts ☺️

wildrage

Friends with the Benedicts
Supporter
Certified
15/10/24
PA, USA
Hi there,

I am currently looking for my first rep and I am torn between a couple of watches. I fell in love with the new “Bruce Wayne” and I like the GMT because it can be worn with a jubilee which looks somehow classier but I assume it is also more comfortable than the oyster strap. On the other hand, the Submariner is an icon (compared to the grey/black bezel of the GMT) and almost everyone likes and recognizes it. However, I have worn a shitter sub for a couple of times and the oyster didn’t feel comfortable on my wrist (because my little bone on the wrist is quite visible and my wrist quite skinny) and when I had the best “fit”, the crown stitched into my hand when I moved my hand up. That was really annoying and hurtful.

In terms of quality of the watches: For the Submariner I would go for the VSF which are supposed to be very flawless overall. Maybe the xtal, the date (in case it will be a date) and the gasket should be changed.

For the GMT, it gets a bit more complicated. I would prefer the Clean, but imho the bezel of the Bruce Wayne is the number 1 call out. The ARF seems to be a bit better, but both do not seem very similar to the gen. Especially the depth of the numbers seems to be off. So I guess I have to change that as well. Do you have any advice?

So basically I am torn between the GMT, Sub date and no date. The no date would be the cheapest option because not many things have to be changed.

Happy to receive any thoughts ☺️
I've got a clean batman and the numbers seem pretty dead on to me. To be honest, I also have a cheap $160 submariner, and besides the plasticy movement, it looks pretty darn close to the Clean one I have. I think we are at a point that its just a matter of preference. For me, the GMT is more unique and fancy. I do think that the whole "GMT movement" and how to actually use it to read 2 timezones is pretty darn clunky and confusing - but its the same way on the Gen as well. No quickset feature can be annoying if you let your watch run down a lot. The submariner is a classic, but also somewhat common. Why don't you get both :).

hannebambell

10/7/24
Hey guys,

thanks for your replies. Well, I would love to have both and (I assume) like most of you, I could afford one or both as a gen. However, my lifestyle is not that fancy that all of my (close) friends would believe me when I have suddenly both. Also, I want to have a trustworthy “story” behind my purchase. Does anyone has more infos on the actual Bruce Wayne (besides the one thread that already seems to be dead).

I also thought about the Datejust, but here I would struggle with the size. Oh lord, why is it so hard. Sometimes it is easier when the RLX dealer calls you and decides for you which watch is ready to purchase 😂

Jossé

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
Hey guys,

thanks for your replies. Well, I would love to have both and (I assume) like most of you, I could afford one or both as a gen. However, my lifestyle is not that fancy that all of my (close) friends would believe me when I have suddenly both. Also, I want to have a trustworthy “story” behind my purchase. Does anyone has more infos on the actual Bruce Wayne (besides the one thread that already seems to be dead).

I also thought about the Datejust, but here I would struggle with the size. Oh lord, why is it so hard. Sometimes it is easier when the RLX dealer calls you and decides for you which watch is ready to purchase 😂
No matter what you choose, I wouldn’t recommend lying to your close friends if they actually happen to ask about your watch. Just my two cents..

But to answer your question I have both a Bruce Wayne from Clean and a Submariner from VSF. The Bruce Wayne has a couple of obvious flaws that even I, with a total lack of attention to detail, can see. The Submariner, on the other hand—in my eyes, it’s as good as they come. The no-date is even better.

hannebambell

10/7/24
No matter what you choose, I wouldn’t recommend lying to your close friends if they actually happen to ask about your watch. Just my two cents..

But to answer your question I have both a Bruce Wayne from Clean and a Submariner from VSF. The Bruce Wayne has a couple of obvious flaws that even I, with a total lack of attention to detail, can see. The Submariner, on the other hand—in my eyes, it’s as good as they come. The no-date is even better.
Thank you! That is what I read everywhere that you can’t go wrong with the Submariner (especially the no date). All other watches seem to have flaws and yes, the GMT bezel bothers me the most right know, although I would prefer having a jubilee bracelet. Maybe the DJ would be a solution but also there the CF and VSF have flaws. As I said, the Oyster was quite uncomfortable, that was my problem…

Reactions: Jossé

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hey guys,

If they are your close friends, dont be a dick and just tell em its a rep. They will also be fascinated about how close those watches are.

natasjames

22/10/12
Thank you! That is what I read everywhere that you can’t go wrong with the Submariner (especially the no date). All other watches seem to have flaws and yes, the GMT bezel bothers me the most right know, although I would prefer having a jubilee bracelet. Maybe the DJ would be a solution but also there the CF and VSF have flaws. As I said, the Oyster was quite uncomfortable, that was my problem…

Many have said.... every rep has its own flaws, it is how much u can tolerate the flaws. :D

Reactions: Jossé

TonyMonatana44

3/10/23

What are the flaws on your GMT? Rehaut/bezel? That is what I see most often being the flaw. The rehaut isn't as polished as the Gen, the bezel alignment is off, and the rehaut rolex letters aren't aligned with the dial indicators.

Jossé

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
What are the flaws on your GMT? Rehaut/bezel? That is what I see most often being the flaw. The rehaut isn't as polished as the Gen, the bezel alignment is off, and the rehaut rolex letters aren't aligned with the dial indicators.
Both the rehaut and bezel alignment are good on mine, at least well within my standards. The biggest "flaw" is the color of the bezel. The grey is basically too dark. But personally, this is something I never notice or think about; the color really depends on the lighting around you anyway.

It’s a fantastic watch, and the quality is top-notch. If you want one, go for it. You won’t regret it. But don’t buy it if the only thing you're after is gen-likeness.

TonyMonatana44

3/10/23
Both the rehaut and bezel alignment are good on mine, at least well within my standards. The biggest "flaw" is the color of the bezel. The grey is basically too dark. But personally, this is something I never notice or think about; the color really depends on the lighting around you anyway.

It’s a fantastic watch, and the quality is top-notch. If you want one, go for it. You won’t regret it. But don’t buy it if the only thing you're after is gen-likeness.

Gotcha. I was planning on buying the Bruce Wayne but ended up going with the GMT Master II Sprite since the Bruce Wayne was out of stock almost everywhere.

I wonder if the same can be said for the Sprite bezel as you've mentioned. Not sure if Clean factory bezels are somewhat better than other factories. My Clean Batman bezel is a lot better than my ARF in my opinion.

Jossé

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
Gotcha. I was planning on buying the Bruce Wayne but ended up going with the GMT Master II Sprite since the Bruce Wayne was out of stock almost everywhere.

I wonder if the same can be said for the Sprite bezel as you've mentioned. Not sure if Clean factory bezels are somewhat better than other factories. My Clean Batman bezel is a lot better than my ARF in my opinion.
In my opinion, Clean is usually the best. I'm sure you're going to be happy with your purchase :D