• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT II Movement Upgrade

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
IMO it would be better to sell the watch you have, and then buy the watch wiht the movement you want..

As for replacing movement - depends who does it, could be from $50.00 to $100

Life is Good!
Klink

HairSping42

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/06
Klink said:
IMO it would be better to sell the watch you have, and then buy the watch wiht the movement you want..

As for replacing movement - depends who does it, could be from $50.00 to $100

Life is Good!
Klink

Who sells a GMT II with 2893-2 movement?? I got mine from Josh. I also read that you can not get a GMT II rep with 2893-2 movement.

Also, during a movement swap, can the watchsmith restack the hands to have the GMT hand on top of the hour hand (like the gen)?

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
I think the hands would have to stack according to where they are suposed to go or they will not function right. Meaning that if you switch the GMT hand and the hour hand they would reverse function or just not fit.

I think I remember reading that. Can any of you guys back me up on this.....or is the crack working too well again?

HairSping42

5/4/06
I'm just worried because for those couple hours per day where the hands overlap, it will easily be identifiable as a fake.

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Oooooooo, doggie! Personally, I'd have to be a watchsmith to undertake an ambitious project sush as this. You might want to check with RBJ on it, because he spreads all the little parts around on his table all the time, but I gotta agree with Klink about finding the watch with the movement you want.

Also Roeod is correct......the hands stack according to the pinion diameters, they're not interchangable. I don't know if you could source a replacement set of hands with the correct pinion diameters or not. I'm just curious...what kind of movement is in the watch now?

HairSping42

5/4/06
Repmaniac said:
Oooooooo, doggie! Personally, I'd have to be a watchsmith to undertake an ambitious project sush as this. You might want to check with RBJ on it, because he spreads all the little parts around on his table all the time, but I gotta agree with Klink about finding the watch with the movement you want.

Also Roeod is correct......the hands stack according to the pinion diameters, they're not interchangable. I don't know if you could source a replacement set of hands with the correct pinion diameters or not. I'm just curious...what kind of movement is in the watch now?

It's a eta 2836-2.

HairSping42

5/4/06
takashi said:
ETA 2836-2 is modified to have the GMT function.

But the GMT hand doesn't "tick" from hour to hour like the eta 2893 or the gen.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
That's the price you have to pay. ETA 2893 will cost more than a modified ETA 2836. It's pretty rare to find ETA2893 in Rolex GMTII rep.

EDIT: If you don't feel comfortable with the GMTII with incorrect movement and hand stack, I would suggest you go for non GMT rolex which is pretty accurate or you can get the PAM 63 with ETA 2893 (this can cost twice/thrice of your GMTII).

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
If you're interested there trying to put a group buy together for a Pam GMT, either 029 or 063 with the ETA 2893, over on RWG. I believe the price hits $435 delivered if they get to 15 units. Most dealers seem to be around $500+. Great price!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
:( "I'm going thru cold turkey! Remember?" I have to tell this to myself at least 10 times a day.

Hari Seldon

22/3/06
I didn't bother to say anything on the other thread as I figurd somebody else would but whomever said that the Rolex 3185 (GMT Master II and Explorer II movement) or the ETA 2893 has a GMT hand that jumps from hour to hour is either wrong or being misunderstood. During operation of the watches, both movements have GMT hands that move smoothly around the dial at half the speed of the hour hand (one revolution every 24 hours). It's only during setting the time that the hands "jump" and with the Rolex it's the hour hand that does so, not the GMT hand as in the 2893. Thus, the 2893 would not be any more convincing of a Rolex 3185 movement replica than the modified 2836.

Reactions: Rel

HairSping42

5/4/06
Hari Seldon said:
I didn't bother to say anything on the other thread as I figurd somebody else would but whomever said that the Rolex 3185 (GMT Master II and Explorer II movement) or the ETA 2893 has a GMT hand that jumps from hour to hour is either wrong or being misunderstood. During operation of the watches, both movements have GMT hands that move smoothly around the dial at half the speed of the hour hand (one revolution every 24 hours). It's only during setting the time that the hands "jump" and with the Rolex it's the hour hand that does so, not the GMT hand as in the 2893. Thus, the 2893 would not be any more convincing of a Rolex 3185 movement replica than the modified 2836.

So on a gen GMT II, the GMT hand goes smoothly around, like the hour hand, but twice as slow??

Hari Seldon

22/3/06
JUNGLISTluder said:
Hari Seldon said:

So on a gen GMT II, the GMT hand goes smoothly around, like the hour hand, but twice as slow??

Yes

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Instead of having 12 hours increment in 360 degree, the GMT hand has 24 hours increment over 360 degree hence explains " twice as slow.".

HairSping42

5/4/06
Hari Seldon said:
JUNGLISTluder said:
[quote="Hari Seldon":18axybn2]I didn't bother to say anything on the other thread as I figurd somebody else would but whomever said that the Rolex 3185 (GMT Master II and Explorer II movement) or the ETA 2893 has a GMT hand that jumps from hour to hour is either wrong or being misunderstood. During operation of the watches, both movements have GMT hands that move smoothly around the dial at half the speed of the hour hand (one revolution every 24 hours). It's only during setting the time that the hands "jump" and with the Rolex it's the hour hand that does so, not the GMT hand as in the 2893. Thus, the 2893 would not be any more convincing of a Rolex 3185 movement replica than the modified 2836.

Yes[/quote:18axybn2]

Thank God. I was under the impression that the GMT hand "ticked". Everything is cool now!!

THANKS FOR CLEARING ME UP!!!