• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT II - Movement type check - pics

advuk

Getting To Know The Place
18/12/09
Hi all,

from reading around here, it's pretty clear that most movements will now be clone and will have been for a long time, and that this is no bad thing.

I did pay extra for an ETA movement for a watch I bought days before finding RWI. I posted a thread about it and people said to post movement pics.. the thread is over 3 months old now, so I thought it may be better placing them here in their own thread:

Any ideas what the movement is or is it not that easy to tell?

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01403.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

I have found a thread about the 2 types ( http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/sho...iss-35133 ) and its clear that its not easy to tell, but if anyone can tell from the pics, that would be great, as I would speak to the dealer.

(my original thread from buying the watch plus other photos is here http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/if-only-had-found-rwi-48026 )

any comments appreciated,
cheers

advuk

18/12/09
is that because you need more detailed pics (which I can take) or its not possible from pics.

zoom3.jpg

zoom2.jpg

zoom1.jpg

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
Looks like a Swiss 2836-2 modified to run as a GMT to me.

advuk

18/12/09
thanks CBR

the seller was adamant its an ETA and NOT a clone, so maybe that's really the case.. I must admit the watch is great, overpriced maybe, but still good.

He's got a YM that actually looks very, very good and again guarantees its an ETA, Im considering buying it for my girlfriend.. I think a SS white daytona would be nicer, but the movement will be no good for her, I dont want it packing in after a few months.

out of interest, what makes you believe its as you say?

advuk

18/12/09
I had a look around regarding the term "applique" and the reference seems to be more about dials and application of numerals.. for the rotor, are you referring to the "25 jewel - swiss made" writing, that Ive seen people pull off as a stuck on piece?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
On the last detailed picture - See the + sign of the regulator hanging over the edge of the bridge. I've been told that is a sure sign of a clone. Eta stamps are not that close to the edge.

Now, I'm not saying that this is a proven fact, but none of the Eta movements that I have bought are like that. I'd be highly suspect.

Here's a known clone from D4M's UPO. Looks can be deceiving.
DSCN2546.jpg

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
WOW. It's really hard to tell. To me, the engraving looks better on the OPs watch, but the "+" position is a bit suspect.
It has become nearly impossible to tell the gens from the clones... probably because most of the gens are not Swiss made, but lower-end Chinese made gen ETA movements.

Whatever it is, it looks good and hopefully you will enjoy the watch. For future purchases, however, why pay more for "genuine Swiss ETA" if there is virtually no discernable difference? That's just my $0.02.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
For future purchases, however, why pay more for "genuine Swiss ETA" if there is virtually no discernible difference? That's just my $0.02.

I support what Roger says here. Unless you go to an AD and get a gen with a certificate or a reputable seller of gen ETA's there is no true Swiss on these reps. Also it could be that that plate is clone and the rest of it is Swiss. This may have some Swiss parts on it and the dealer may have given you his best Swiss movement.

I know it's a really confusing catch 22 but these are made in little room in China with a few guys standing in the doorway watching for the police.

Oh and Roger, 2900 my man! Congrats.

advuk

18/12/09
thanks for the info guys.. the seller has a really good looking YM, one with a great dial, but its supposedly one with the ETA, so more expensive.. Ive emailed him to see if he'll drop a clone in it and lower the price.

(left - clone, right eta - supposedly)

ym.jpg

Ive had a few replies from dealers when I asked about YM's, but the pictures make the dials look like the bad ones and it's difficult to know which one in advance of buying. As its for my girlfriend, Id like the dial to be decent.

.. and just to throw this thred in another direction - I've been checking my watch against GMT for the last 3 weeks and it's pretty constant at 26 seconds fast over a 7 day period, which I think is pretty good.