• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

spotted my first glasshutts :)

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
at McCsrren field LV .i was returning from LA on wednesday and buying a sandwitch when a guy walks up and pays wearing a gorgeous glasshutts. i said "nice watch"
then i showed my mini fiddy [ nice one ] and asked "are you familiar with these? " and he imediately said panerai:)
his watch was VERY GORGEOUS. maybe a gen . cream white face with sunburst lines and several dials .my eyes are not good so i couldnt really tell . i was in a wheel chair , so his watch was eye level .

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Great story. I've only every seen them at the Tourneau in Chicago. I probably spent 10 minutes at the case staring at them. I had been trying on Breitling and Omegas and didn't have the gusto to ask the saleman to see one of the Glashuttes. Now those are timepieces!

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
i was astounded by the difference in finish and appearance of quality to my 300$ rep ! it was completely obvious that THIS was a WATCH of superior quality quality and raw beauty :) are there any superior quality reps around?
i might have to have one :)

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
i know...there is almost nothing like a Glashuette...or a Lange in real life....and those movements !!
not to be exaggerating - but a gen Panerai compared to a gen Lange or GlasHuette ( quality and craftsmanship) the Panerai appears like a cheapy toywatch...
of course, the price tells the difference !!

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
i was truly not prepared for this expierience! i didnt realize that such quality and beauty existed . i have 2 great pams and i still think they are great , but you are right:) my minnifiddy looked like a cracker jack prize! the best watch i ever owned was a gen gerard parageux and solid gold omega. neither hold a candle to glasshutts:) astounding ! my friend [ a vegas highroller] has a gen gold day date pres and the glasshutts blows its doors off!! the next time he and i go to vegas [ we live 100miles south] , im going to ruin him! lol ill take him in and hand him a glasshutts and watch his face lol. it will be priceless :)

GreyMouser

Horology Curious
20/2/07
I'm a big Glashutte fan. Sounds like you may have seen a PanoMaticChrono, which IMHO, is the most beautiful watch in the world.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
My grandfather has a Glashütte from the time when the DDR still existed

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
that is awesoem.

grats on witnessing someone actually owning one for reals :D

the quality of glashutte and a.lange sohne blows my mind away. they aer gorgeous watches!

have you seen the a lange sohne datograph's movement in person? it is a sight to see!

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
@piratedzeus
My grandfather has a Glashütte from the time when the DDR still existed
Now, that is a treasure!

:shock:

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
On the backside stands something like

"Den Erbauern des Palasts der Republik"
It was made for the (VIP) people who built the "Palast der Republik", a (ugly!) building of the DDR government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palast_der_Republik

My grandfather didn't work in the company at that time but he entered it later and they still had one left over... so... lol

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
The only modern rep that looks "expensive" out of the box even to trained eyes is Hublot Big Bang.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
@piratedzeus

It was made for the (VIP) people who built the "Palast der Republik", a (ugly!) building of the DDR government.

My grandfather didn't work in the company at that time but he entered it later and they still had one left over... so... lol

What a story!! AND even much more of a trreasure!!

Cannot be very many made like that.. both watch history and political history alzo!

:D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Sure! Can't be that many piece... Like FM Conqui for Sultan Hassanah Bolkiah.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Klink said:
@piratedzeus

What a story!! AND even much more of a trreasure!!

Cannot be very many made like that.. both watch history and political history alzo!

:D

He never wore it as he feels uncomfortable because he didn't built a bit of that palace ;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
After the gtg in S.F. I went to the Tourneau and they had a Glashutte 61 movement under a magnifying glass. that is unbelievable craftmanship... :)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Haha... That place is good. I went there when I was in Berlin. In the vicinity of Humboldt Uni.

ganjamun

5/3/07
Which reminds me... I was on the MRT (singapore's subway) one day, and I stood in front of this dude. He looked kinda nerdy with proper office attire but holy, I looked at his wrists and it was a Glashutte Pano. I can tell right away it was a gen, the finishing on that one was awesome!! It had some navy blue gator strap on it.

THOR509

Renowned Member
12/4/06
yes greymouser . thats the one :) ! @anyone . are there reps of this ? :)

efnstefn

Renowned Member
3/4/06
I was in Vegas this morning, openned the safe and there were two PAMs (one rep and one gen) and a Glashutte (gen).... :D

While out there I went to Tourneau in the Caesars Mall. Plenty of Glashuttes but only a few Panerai...of course. There had to be about a million Rolex in the various shops...gross overproduction.

Anyway, you all know my feelings about GO. Lange quality for a third the price. I love my little fraulein.

GreyMouser

Horology Curious
20/2/07
I've seen a few reps of this watch, none of good quality, really. It must be difficult to copy, because on all the reps I've seen the size or location of the subdials is off pretty noticeably. I'm still looking for a good rep, but since it's a 2004 model, my chances aren't looking too good at this point.