• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen tube/crown for ceramic SMP?

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
I recently received my ceramic SMP from Trusty Time. It's a beautiful watch that works well and keeps time. The only downside to it is that the crown is very difficult to screw in. It almost looks like the tube or stem is too long, making it hard for the crown to "catch" the threads in the tube? Does anyone else experience this? I feel that soon the threads will be destroyed when I try to push the crown back while screwing it down.

I'm thinking of replacing the crown and tube for genuine parts, does anyone know which part/numbers I should be ordering from cousinsuk?

I've been inside a few of my watches a few times, but not attempted this kind of procedure. Is it difficult?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
The older smp tube and crown should work fine on these.

Search for case number 168.1640 on cousinsuk, crown and pendant case tube will be listed on there. Crowns for smps are expensive enough. Also the mod is easy-ish but if you've never been in side a watch before then better to get a watch maker to do it.

Similar process to the PO crown/tube swap, similar steps, just using smp parts. Lots of tutorials on the forums, here is a good one from Olworthers:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/45-5mm-planet-92079?t=92079

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
Thanks for the quick reply! The SMP crown seems to be out of stock at Cousins right now. Do you know if there are aftermarket crowns that will fit?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Are they using the same one on the new models? I didnt know that...

Hi Pap, not exactly identical part nos, and ceramic smp parts not available anyway, but for modding purposes the old crown is same as new one on these. (Which is good for us!) Case may need a little modding to fit tube though.