• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen tube and crown issues?

luckie

19/12/11
I was looking at another site where a gentleman has a rep Omega with almost all gen parts including crown and tube but in his description he states
".the crown has this known franken upo problem-its kind of stripped-is fully functional,you can set the time and date without a problem but you have to keep it pulled to wind it because of the gen tube.another known upo franken little issue is the dial moved a bit while you pull the crown-nothing serious and it doesnt effect the watch.
the watch was tested under water(10m)before the crown issues so please test it again before going into water again."

I have never heard of such issues. I thought once the crown and tube were switched for gens the issues were resolved. I am missing something here?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well i have both of them installed (and swiss 2824.2) and to be honest the only issue i have is that when screwing the crown i may need a second try as to get it "grabbed" to the tube.
The dial moving along with the crown?! I don't think that this is good, and first time i hear it too... Maybe something went wrong during the installation..?

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
sounds simply like the movement needs to be a little more secured to the case by tightening the screws on the holder tabs.

luckie

19/12/11
Well I asked the guy and got this response which is still puzzling. Sounds like it wasn't put together right.
"probably because the gen tube is a little longer than the rep tube,the crown doesnt "locked" to the case.so when it meets the case it keeps spinning if you force it."

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
The gen tube being too long is a common issues with both the 45mm and 42mm frankens. You either cut the tube down (NOT RECOMMENDED) or you an extension for the stem...

luckie

19/12/11
The gen tube being too long is a common issues with both the 45mm and 42mm frankens. You either cut the tube down (NOT RECOMMENDED) or you an extension for the stem...
Wonder why he didn't add the extension. I think he spent close to 800 bucks on gen parts and didn't spring for a .15 cent part that would have solved all issues. He's having a hard time selling it due to that issue.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Another solution is to mile the case. Look at Q5's franken PO and the mod R2 did there...

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
R2 is the man!!! The only reason he milled the case was to have the crown sit flush when fully secured.

Regarding the stem length issue and dial moving when engaging the crown...... never happened to any of my Franken's (3) This problem must be due to an improper assembly/installation of dial/movement/movement holder.