• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Hands into Noob 116520 / 116500 Daytona

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
I'm starting this brief thread to get to the bottom of Gen hands being put into Noob Daytona's since there are contradicting cases and opinions all over the board.

Using the search function only pulls up different opinions/cases. For example:

I've heard that the legend himsel Johnny Depp has had trouble fitting in the subdial hands into some models, but at the same time, I've seen many pics of frankens with both gen and even aftermarket subdial hands. Is it to say that it is case by case?

There are numerous people on M2M selling just the sub dial hands since they were told impossible to fit into noobs, but yet there are people who seem to have no trouble with it. What exactly is going on here?

One tidbit I can share is that the full set of Gen hands that I have happen to have come from the Rolex Service Department back in the days when where you changed the dial, they would give you all your original parts back to you. Thing is, each subdial hand seems to be in seperate bags each specifying which exact subdial each hand is for.

IE; on each pouch with each single subdial hand is written on it SECOND, MINUTE, HOUR.

Would this mean that the problems that some watch makers are encountering regarding these subdial hands is that they are trying to fit in hands on the wrong subdials thinking that they are all the same?

I've also seen posts of many people saying it is impossible to fit in the gen chrono sweeping hand without making any modifications or changes to the movement, whereas I have seen builds with Gen chrono hands installed with no mention of encountering issues. Does this mean that it is impossible to just drop in the chrono sweeping hand, or is this again a case-by-case issue?

All in all, I just want to finalize if it is possible to "drop-in" all genuine hands into the Noob 116520/116500 , or if there are some restrictions.

I've got myself a full set of gen hands and wish to know if they are all able to be dropped in, or if not, which ones need to be modified in order to do so.

Any expert advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Reactions: KJ2020

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
Watching this thread with interest, I appreciate the effort to get to the bottom of this.

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
In fact problem is not gen hands but rep chrono wheels, pins have not, but not for all as I have fit perfectly all gen hands on rep wheels without any problem, the same size of gen. On some of my Franken needed to mod the gen hole of subdials hands to fit in, for the main chrono hands it’s the same, the biggest problem with the seconds chrono hands is the fly back, if hand doesn’t fit perfectly, your chrono hands will not reset perfectly to 12 due hand will move slightly on it pin, so if you’re lucky with yours, all gen hands will fit in, if not or you could mod your gen hands or you swap the rep chrono wheels by gen, or like some you fit in the rep chrono hands.

For the emplacement of the subdials hands, have seen effectively a correct order, but personally never saw a difference on size hole of those hands, and each time had problems to fit them, even on changing order it never solved my problem of size hole.

So it’s most a case by case situation, it’s how lucky you are, to resolve this problem have decide to change by gen the chrono wheels and seconds wheel when had difficulty with.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
In fact problem is not gen hands but rep chrono wheels, pins have not, but not for all as I have fit perfectly all gen hands on rep wheels without any problem, the same size of gen. On some of my Franken needed to mod the gen hole of subdials hands to fit in, for the main chrono hands it’s the same, the biggest problem with the seconds chrono hands is the fly back, if hand doesn’t fit perfectly, your chrono hands will not reset perfectly to 12 due hand will move slightly on it pin, so if you’re lucky with yours, all gen hands will fit in, if not or you could mod your gen hands or you swap the rep chrono wheels by gen, or like some you fit in the rep chrono hands.

For the emplacement of the subdials hands, have seen effectively a correct order, but personally never saw a difference on size hole of those hands, and each time had problems to fit them, even on changing order it never solved my problem of size hole.

So it’s most a case by case situation, it’s how lucky you are, to resolve this problem have decide to change by gen the chrono wheels and seconds wheel when had difficulty with.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

correct .... I was going to say the same thing! I advise only minutes and hours hands .... to not have problems of reset chrono, that's why I don't use the chrono gen hands

calvin951121

Known Member
19/7/15
I dont have any trouble on fitting gen hands on all my franken sa4130.

Steel hands
Rose gold hands
And pearl dial hands.

All gen and fit so perfectly, even big chrono hands, i always play with chrono.

My new franken daytona; gen mop dial with hands and bezel and crown. Other parts wrap gold same colour with gen.
7bc300aae64ed2b046424458c662a68d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Johnny_Ridden

Less is More
10/12/18
Oh man,

Even more contradictory reports!

But in all seriousness, thank you all for your kind responses, which make clear sense.

To conclude, I guess what we can derive is:

A) It is case by case

You will find watches that can accept an entire set of gen hands, “dropped-in” with no mods, but at the same time find ones where they don’t and will require mods.

Afterall, though we expect to be getting near-perfect reps, at the end of the day, they are each made by many different apathetic minimum wage workers with no clear standardization processes and understandably manufacturing products of slightly differing sizes. As Micasol said to what Johnny Depp agreed to, even the most minute differences on the pinions the hands attach to will have immediately noticeable effects.

-

A2) When issues are encountered, its the fault of the wheels and the pinions being of different shape than what can smoothly accept gen hands.
This means, unless you are willing to mod your precious gen hands so that they can fit snug on your one oblique rep, it may not be possible to make them match.

B) Chrono sweeping large hand is notoriously difficult, and you would have to be lucky for your rep to smoothly accept a gen one. Otherwise, you are looking at having to damage your gen hand once again, or replacing the entire wheel with a gen as well.

C) To play it safe, try to have them fit gently. If it seems to take more force than it should, you are probably better off giving up sticking your precious gens on that particular watch. Unless of course you are willing to go the whole mile, decimate thier value, and mod them just so they can fit on your beloved.

Just like everything in life, it seems in this case, 50% of it all depends on luck.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: KJ2020

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Reviving this thread, would 0.05mm or 0.07mm broaches work best to widen the subdial gen hands slightly?