• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen crystal for PO 42mm DG4813?

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
Hi, I have a surprisingly nice PO 42mm with the DG4813 movement that looks and works very well (hell, even the crown screws down without hassle)! However, the crystal har AR that looks pretty bad and scratches when you just look at the watch. After wearing it one day it had noticeable scratches along the top of the crystal, without me bumping into anything.

I've heard that the sunnydale crystals are good replacements, but he has sold all of them.

I'm therefore thinking of buying a gen crystal from cousins. Does anyone know if it will fit perfectly on this model?

This is the model:
http://www.p-cls.com/omse00257-planet-ocean-ssss-asian-4813-28800-p-9577.html

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Gen crystal for top quality watch is OK. But I, personally, wouldn't buy gen. crystal for cheaper watch.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
You could send it to a modder to be AR'd?

Otherwise I would agree with Luthier. You may be better getting the A2824 or Swiss 2824 version as it is open to more gen parts.

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
Thanks, that is also an option - but probably not much cheaper than the gen crystal (£138)?

Do the A2824 and DG4813 not share the same case and bezel?

You could send it to a modder to be AR'd?

Otherwise I would agree with Luthier. You may be better getting the A2824 or Swiss 2824 version as it is open to more gen parts.

crwilsn

18/5/13
If you are comfortable taking out the crystal, do it and polish off the AR. While it won't look as good as a gen crystal, it will be an improvement on the badly applied AR. A cape cod cloth will take it off in a few minute of work. You can try polishing both sides with the crystal in the watch but you should be ready to reinstall in case the crystal pops out while polishing the inside.

Alternatively, you can leave it in and only remove the AR from the outside. Big improvement with little risk.

crwilsn

18/5/13
Yeah, I should probably do that first and see how it looks. I do love AR on watches though :)

Then polish the top only. You will still have the AR on the inside and you will loose the scratchs that are on the outside. I did that to my two POs and they both turned out good.

By the way, I didn't bother trying to take off the bezel or cover up the insert. The crystal is raised just enough that you can avoid polishing the insert while doing the crystal.

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
Cool, thanks for the tip! I didn't know that the PO 4813 had double AR.

I'll start there, and if it looks good I'll get my hands dirty with some reluming. The dial looks great, but the lume has a greenish tint that looks cheap. Glow is weak as well.

I guess the gen dials only fit the A2824 or ETA models?

Then polish the top only. You will still have the AR on the inside and you will loose the scratchs that are on the outside. I did that to my two POs and they both turned out good.

By the way, I didn't bother trying to take off the bezel or cover up the insert. The crystal is raised just enough that you can avoid polishing the insert while doing the crystal.

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
All you buddies who are looking for best double AR for your 5gen POs you have to visit this thread:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/sunnydales-ar-coating-161970

Look how the great Sunny's AR looks comparing to foggy 3777 AR.

20131002_124833.jpg

20131002_124846.jpg

And here is another photo of my franken PO with Sunnydale crystal installed:

20130701_103323.jpg

Only 5 slots left.

machineboy

Horology Curious
12/9/13
I actually was offered to buy a Sunnydale crystal from a member who had one he didn't need. I haven't installed it yet - waiting for my crystal press - but the glass looks really nice!