• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Crown and Tube Replacement Tutorial?

TheExit148

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/11
Ok, I've searched and searched and can't exactly find what I'm looking for. Are there any step by step (and pic by pic) tutorials on how to replace a rep crown and tube with a gen of each for a 4th or even 5th Gen PO (5th Gen would be the best)? I'm going to take the mod on myself since my crown has stripped. All parts are ready, just need the exact steps to make sure I'm good.

tracyl

22/4/11
I'd love to know too, as I'll probably do this too on a 42mm PO 5th gen. Do you know if a gen tube/crown will even fit?

TheExit148

5/1/11
Ok my bad. It's for a 5th Gen PO. I can't believe I missed that...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
No worries :)

The tube is either pressed or screwed in. First, remove the gasket, then, insert a tube remover inside the tube and rotate. A tube remover can either be a specific tool or some kind of screwdriver.

Once you've cleaned everything, install the replacement tube and secure it with epoxy.

TheExit148

5/1/11
Thanks for the info Wiz. I'm hoping also someone can post some more details with pics. Does the gen tube need the gasket installed as well?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
If you secure the tube with epoxy you don't need to put a gasket betwen the case and the tube, but you'll still need a gasket inside the tube. That gasket should have been provided with the tube.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
It would be best to mill a small recess in the case. If not, the new crown won't tighten flush to the case.

R2 did it to my 4th Gen PO .....

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...en-po-4th-gen-78051?t=78051&highlight=franken

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Any tips to do the milling? LOL

Yes be very careful. ;) Use a miniature drill press and hand turn the spindle. Incidentally, the rep case has a friction fit tube so it is not threaded like the gen tube. In addition the hole is too large to thread so you either have to laser weld the gen tube or epoxy it in.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Good advice from the Franken Master.