• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Bezel on UPO?

thicklove

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/09
Would I be able to put a Gen bezel with correct pearl on my newly aquired UPO?

Part# from Ofrei: Omega Bezel 082SU1703

cgn1017

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/09
Im trying to do the same thing from same site! Newly acquired UOP as well, cheers! Im going for Gen He valve and dial as well. I'm pretty sure that most all parts will fit, I will see about a return policy.

They have a 30 day return policy with no wear/ tear...

thicklove

29/8/09
Okay, let me know how it goes. Does the HE valve look that off? I haven't gotten my UPO yet, it's being shipped. The first thing I notice is the poor workmanship on the Pearl. The Logo is not correct either, but at least it's not poor workmanship. People aren't going to know if the Logo or font is a little off. However, people will notice if an "Omega" has a poor quality part that's lopsided or what have you.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
I too have considered this mod, but be warned; the gen bezel will only fit the UPO with some pretty heavy modification to the case (think metal lathe and lots of patience), so after $250+ and all that blood sweat and tears is it really worth it?

Most people I know who have attempted this have gone with just swapping out the bezel insert from the gen to the rep bezel, but then again, that's one hell-of-an-expensive insert!

Good luck with your endeavours though; the fact that gen parts are so readily available makes this a potentially expensive franken project to start (believe me I know!)

cgn1017

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/09
What parts of the case will you need to caress with the lathe?? I couldn't find just the bezel insert, the bezel I found was assembled as a whole.

thicklove

29/8/09
Very informative post R2D4, thanks for the link.

TheLoveOfBotham, I might just do the bezel then. If that will fix the triangle area surrounding the pearl. I wonder if the hole is positions just right on the gen insert for the rep pearl to poke through.

thicklove

29/8/09
Other then that little Pearl issue, it's a great looking watch. I can't forget that.

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
Not to be a kill-joy, but if you are considering investing alot of money in modding a UPO, I would get one with a bracelet that fits better than the one in this picture. NO gen Omega is going to have a bracelet that is so loose that you can see the spring bar through the gap. The gen Omega's that I have had in the past (many) have had the very best fit of end link to case. Better than some of the gen Rolex and Tags.

thicklove

29/8/09
Not to be a kill-joy, but if you are considering investing alot of money in modding a UPO, I would get one with a bracelet that fits better than the one in this picture. NO gen Omega is going to have a bracelet that is so loose that you can see the spring bar through the gap. The gen Omega's that I have had in the past (many) have had the very best fit of end link to case. Better than some of the gen Rolex and Tags.

That's it. I'm not investing 1 more cent into this rep. Is this loose bracelet typical of the UPO's?

CBR

Banned
2/7/07
No it is not typical at all... Well, let me put it this way. Ive had 4 and none of them looked like that.

yt

11/11/06
Yep that is terrible, are those even SEL?

CBR

Banned
2/7/07
Looking at the picture of the back, it appears that they made no effort to find a bracelet that fit your watch properly. Look at the way the spring bars are bent just to make them stay in place.
My experience is that when spring bars are bent like that, eventually (and not always very long after being purchased) they fail and your watch eats the deck.
In fact, I have a UPO sitting on my desk right now and the SEL's look very different than what you have there. Is it possible that the head is UPO and the bracelet is from a less expensive model?
The spring bars on yours are also very different than the one I have. Yours are the thinner (more easily bent) ones, and the ones on the UPO I have are very heavy duty and perfectly straight.

thicklove

29/8/09
I just took the bracelet off and the spring bars are pretty thin and the tips are extremely bent. The reason it's bent is that it won't go into the holes if it were straight. The holes do not line up straight with the end links, so it looks like they bent it to fit. I tried switching it out with thicker spring bars that fit nicely in the end links, but they aren't bent, so will not go into the holes. I ended up having to put back the original spring bars. :\