• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen bezel on UPO. Can it be done?

movadont

27/11/11
So I didn't realize that this wouldn't just swap in. I am out about $300 if I can't make it work. What are my options?

movadont

27/11/11
After reading that, I am a little confused.

It looks like R2 mentioned that the bezel should fit on a current generation UPO. Is that correct?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
After reading that, I am a little confused.

It looks like R2 mentioned that the bezel should fit on a current generation UPO. Is that correct?

nop that's not correct. You will need heavy modding as the bezel to fit. I am not that optimistic...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Inushuk

Respected Member
19/10/10
Sorry Mr Pap ... not a chance for me to pop it out :) as the bezel is working perfectly like a gen one (clicking very nicely :) you saw the video :) ) and I do not want to mess it up... My Ultra Franken UPO has been seen by few friends at the french GTG and those were also very surprised how Uwe did it ...

But he did it and I know I have one of the "best" ultra franken UPO around here :)
So best should be to ask him if he is ok to answer
Only thing I know is that he really had hard time with it .

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes big mystery for me too... I will buy a gen myself and try to figure this out.

Inushuk

Respected Member
19/10/10
did you try to contact Uwe ?
Probably the easiest thing to do ?...

rhc22

26/11/11
Yes big mystery for me too... I will buy a gen myself and try to figure this out.

I've sold my franken UPO (with rep bezel) now but when looking at fitting a gen bezel the work I see you would have to do would be very extensive.
The only two ways I could figure were - not necessarily in the correct order.
1st method

machine a ring to space out the case to fit the dia of the bezel

turn a groove in the side of the ring to take the bezel retaining spring

That's the easy bit with the correct equipment. Now the hard bit even with the correct equipment, very easy to spoil the case.

Machine the case by turning a groove, along with the anti rotation hole to take a gen bezel spring from the XL. This has to be done as the serrations on the gen bezel are at the outer dia they will completely miss where the rep spring is which is now covered by the new spacer ring anyway.
I suppose you could fashion a new spring device, thus eliminating the need to machine a full groove, to allow the bezel to turn one way and not the other but the chances of getting the bezel to line up would be very hard.

2nd method
The only other way I could see would be to machine down a rep bezel to leave a section with the serrations and somehow fix this to the gen bezel.

I could not see any other methods, apart from just swapping the insert, but I would love to see how Uwe did it.
I would be very interested if any one else has any other thoughts on other methods.

Inushuk
I completely understand that you would not want to remove the bezel but if you ever have the need to, take some photos and solve the mystery!

Oh and yours looks fantastic.

Inushuk

Respected Member
19/10/10
@rhc22 Ive no idea how Uwe did it but if sometime i have to open it then of corse I'll do some picts ...

and thanks for the nice comment :)

sunnydale

Respected Member
29/8/09
My Franken has also a whole gen bezel installed by Uwe. He said he made a distance ring (method 1 mentioned earlier) and actually he showed me a picture of it and it was really simple. As Inushuk said, it works like gen :)

And don't ask me to take the bezel off either, I won't do it :) Too risky.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
My Franken has also a whole gen bezel installed by Uwe. He said he made a distance ring (method 1 mentioned earlier) and actually he showed me a picture of it and it was really simple. As Inushuk said, it works like gen :)

Where is that pic?????????????????

sunnydale

Respected Member
29/8/09
Where is that pic?????????????????

Sorry sorry! I have not taken that much pictures after I got the gen bracelet...

IMG_4146.jpg

And I don't have THAT pic :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Sorry sorry! I have not taken that much pictures after I got the gen bracelet...

IMG_4146.jpg

And I don't have THAT pic :)

Damn... now I want to make this happen!

Guilty you are my friend, you lost the evidence...

movadont

27/11/11

So to those of you who have this, what kind of process was it? Where did you have to send it (Germany?) and what is the cost. I am pretty heavily invested at this point, so I could certainly justify some additional expense.

Thanks!

movadont

27/11/11
New thought all...

I already have this bezel and will take a substantial loss if I sell it. Can I take the pearl out and swap it into a watchoutlet bezel insert?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
New thought all...

I already have this bezel and will take a substantial loss if I sell it. Can I take the pearl out and swap it into a watchoutlet bezel insert?

Why not installing the whole insert and just the pearl?