• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gap between the watch and SEL (soild end links)

geegee78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/10
Hi,

I have just purchased the new 45.mm UPO but unfortunately there is a gap on both sides of the watch and the SEL (soild end links)

A member was helpful enough to suggest that I could fix this problem if I swap the spring bars over to a larger pair (1.8mm).

Has anyone else done this?

Is this the best way to fix this problem?

Do all 45.5mm UPO have the same issue?

Would I be better to buy a new set of SEL's, ones that fit the fit the watch better like a pair of original parts?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I spend more money on parts and labour that doesn't fix the issue at hand!

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
You can buy the gen end links...But they will need some modding to fit perfectly..Throw a photo if you can so as to see the excact problem and i will be back to you..

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Spring bars aren't going to change the gap on the sides. It would just possibly pull it up tighter to the watch head.

dan_j

5/11/10
It depends on the the spring bars you currently have. Take off the bracelet and take a look at the spring bars. If the spring bars are really thin and there's a lot of space for it to move around in the end link then you may be able to fix it by using thicker spring bars.

Ideally, the spring bars should fit the end link just tight enough to slide out.

geegee78

20/5/10
Unfortunately I don't have the springbars tool. The gap is not on the sides but in between the SEL and case set.

So it sounds like the thick bars could fix the problem due to the fact that there seems to be a bit of play and there is movement and the gap is created.

geegee78

20/5/10
Hi,

I have just purchased the new 45.mm UPO but unfortunately there is a gap on both sides of the watch and the SEL (soild end links)

A member was helpful enough to suggest that I could fix this problem if I swap the spring bars over to a larger pair (1.8mm).

Has anyone else done this?

Is this the best way to fix this problem?

Do all 45.5mm UPO have the same issue?

Would I be better to buy a new set of SEL's, ones that fit the fit the watch better like a pair of original parts?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I spend more money on parts and labour that doesn't fix the issue at hand!

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

here are the photos the first 3 show the gap and the last 2 are with the SEL pressed against the case set.

Any advice would be appreciated.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
This is not tight probably...IMO it is an easy modde..you should at firts place the end link in the right place...When it is where it should tighten it with a pliers..I have done it in the past..Slowly and a little bit at every try..But you should be careful not to scratch it..
I have done it and it is quite easy in th po...I used thick cotton so as to protect the watch..
This is my opinion of course,there are and some other guys that could tell you something else like to order new sels,or bracelet...You can even try the rubber strap...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I have the rubber strap installed at the moment and cant take a closer pic but here how mine is looking after i installed thicker sping bars. Its not close but i have no better at the moment...
Its not perfect but its tigher and not moving around...

DSC01945.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

geegee78

20/5/10
looks better then what mine look like.

I have some thinker bars coming so hopefully that will fix it up for me.

i will keep everyone updated.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice.

geegee78

20/5/10
Update:

I ordered thinker spring bars and replaced the old ones. One of the spring bars were a little loose still so i placed a small bit of sticky tape around the middle to thicken it up enough so it was tight. I also tightened the SEL lugs with the pliers as suggested by Gibbo.

I just hope by bending the SEL lugs it hasn't weakened them and the move back to the their original position.

Thanks everyone for your advice

I am very happy withe the end results. the gaps are now gone and the the SELs are tight.

geegee78

20/5/10
before and after phots

here are some of the before and after pics

thanks again everyone.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Work is done!!! That will help others too...