• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

292J Broken Crown Thread/Tube on First Wind- Advice please

Punisherofnh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/13
Folks, I need some of your valuable advice. I bought a beautiful 292J Noob from Trevor. It arrived yesterday and upon first wind (i was very delicate) the crown thread broke of and the crown tube broke away from the case. Pics are below. I know you guys know your stuff, I've already reached out to Trevor who has never let me down. However, I never had a broken watch upon arrival.
How should I handle this? Is it an easy fix? Should I let Trevor handle everything. Honestly, don't know what my expecations should be. I love the watch and just want it fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Oh man, I feel your pain. I cannot believe this happened. I need to inspect the crown tube on mine now--is it attached (aghast!) with glue? and not a proper compression fit?

Punisherofnh

26/2/13
Honestly I contacted Trevor before doing anything....IMO superglue would have just been a bandaid. It would have broke sooner than later. He had me send it back to him and he is going to replace. Trevor is the man, he got back with info on what to do in 5 minutes.

However, I will worry about his now and it will be the first and last PAM without a CG.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
So it's not broken but simply the whole tube came off of the watch?
So the factory use glue to attach the metal crown tube to a ceramic case..... interesting

Punisherofnh

26/2/13
No it's actually broken. The tube came away from the ceramic case and also the crown thread broke off the tube ( which is the most disturbing part). So in reality to separate areas. My use of the word "bandaid" was meant to state that superglue may have fixed it but it certainly would have broke AGAIN.

Anyone know if this is easy fix or will the watch be completely replaced?

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
if it's broken then part of the crown tube is in the case. It's not easy to extract the broken piece. And then you also deal with ceramic case that is prone to cracking under pressure.
Just accept your fade and send it back to Trevor.

Punisherofnh

26/2/13
Out of curiosity, how is the tube connected inside the case? As studied the mess, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how anything connected. Seemed as thought both the thread and tube were broken off perfectly.
Thanks for the advice

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Out of curiosity, how is the tube connected inside the case? As studied the mess, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how anything connected. Seemed as thought both the thread and tube were broken off perfectly.
Thanks for the advice

From what I've read, the crown tube is pressure fitted to the case.

mario24601

12/3/13
I was just about to order this model. Is this common issue? Also, in general are ceramic weaker than ss?

Punisherofnh

26/2/13
I never had anyone tell me it was common and I asked on several forums. I sent it back to Trevor, he fixed it and I'm very happy with it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I've actually commented on this several times -- same thing happened to me, and on the first wind as well. Sent it back to Angus at Puretime and they simply replaced the watch head instead of installing a new tube/threads. Doesn't seem to be too common, just a thing to watch for ...