• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken UPO build

kmac

2/2/09
Well some of you may know my story to get here. For those that don't the short story: I came across a great deal on a franken UPO and couldn't resist. Well it looks like if it is too good to be true it most likely is and I was scammed. The moderators here and PayPal helped me out a lot and I was only blemished with a bad taste.

I had bought a 42mm V5 from Trevor before all this, but knew I wanted to go 45.5mm size. So the V5 remained in the drawer still never worn out of the house.

When I was waiting on the original "scam" watch, I ordered a gen rubber strap, aftermarket bezel insert, gen bezel pearl, sunnydale crystal, and was left with no watch to put them on. When I knew there was no watch coming I ordered a genuine dial, hands, date wheel, and Swiss ETA 2824.

So then I had a bunch of sealed parts. I bought a case from another forum and while waiting on it I came across a UPO case from AskMeAgain on this forum. The case had a sunnydale crystal installed, gen crown, tube, He valve (sealed) and was just a better example. Both cases arrived about the same time and I am glad I bought the one from AskMeAgain.

I mocked them up in the case and will need a longer stem and maybe some additional work (bezel insert with gen pearl installed), but it is looking good for a short morning of work.

This is going to feel good when finished. After almost being scammed, having parts for a watch I didn't own continuosly coming in (it hurts), but to have the parts and case together finally and the project started, man this is going to feel good when it is done.

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg
(DIRECT SUN LIGHT)
IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

danq85

Getting To Know The Place
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
Very nice man! Looks great.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Welcome to the club! Nice build!!!

kmac

2/2/09
Thanks, Happy with the pearl position and I may just swap in the gen pearl and hold the bezel insert for the time when I scratch this one.

Need to send the watch off to get a longer stem installed and may do a movement cleaning/service at that time. (SUGGESTIONS!!!)

I like it a lot and the sunnydale crystal is great. More to come as this develops.

-may go with a gen clasp, but it is going on gen rubber soon.
-i have a great insert with centered pearl, just not sure if I will jump on this or save that for later