• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken 42mm PO

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Hi Guys

Some of you here inspired me to build this franken. It took a long time getting all the parts and a fair bit of money but it was worth it.

Firstly I would like to thank the following guys that made this happen - Ado213, SSTEEL (Micky), Sunnydale, Santre22 and PJSayer.

Ado213 did most of the build for me and supplied the Swiss 2892 heart. The guy is an engineering genius.

SSTEEL fitted the sunnydale crystal a few months back - what a huge difference it makes.

Sunnydale made those awesome crystals

Santre22 for a lot of advice on the build.

And finally PJSayer sold me a gen bracelet to finish it off...well nearly.

The build consists of:

Swiss 2892 with Brietling chronometer grade balance.
Gen Dial
Gen hands
Gen datewheel
Gen crown and tube
Gen HE Valve
Gen bracelet (inc clasp and end links)
Gen anti-magnetic dust cover for the movement
Sunnydale crystal
Rep mid case, caseback and bezel.

I plan on putting a gen bezel on too once Mr. Pap sources one that I can buy :)

So on to the pics of it being built (pics supplied by Ado213):

He Valve drilled and tapped

A hole was drilled for the tube and a plug made to press fit in the case. This was drilled and tapped for the gen tube.

The case was heated up and the plug put on ice to make the metal expand and contract. It is then press fitted in place and left to cool so the plug grows as it warms up and the case hole shrinks as it cools. It should be water resistant but I am yet to have it pressure tested since being built.

The plug is in and cool. The excess plug will then be ground away and the tube fitted.

Test fit of the crown and tube.

Crown tube and HE valve in place.

Swiss 2892 (before the chronometer balance)

Longines?? Will have to do something about that.

Fully built - there is a cover over the glass at the minute.

Lume shot

Then finally if I can clean this up or at least replate the bridges I am hoping to fit this:

Thanks for looking guys and thanks to the guys that helped make this happen.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Craig

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Very nice! That's a keeper for sure. I love those Sunnydale disappearing crystals.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Very nice! That's a keeper for sure. I love those Sunnydale disappearing crystals.

Yep - it's a keeper. The crystals are great, so much better in person than in any picturs I can take.

Here is the swiss movement and gen anti magnetic cover for the :ttiwwop:guys.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very nice franken project! Welcome to the club!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
2 years ago all info on the forums said the same thing. To fit a Eta 2892 or the gen 2500 movement in the rep case won't work. And today how many of this super amazing Frankens have we seen? If you take a 2500 planet ocean and unscrew the crown and wind it one turn you can tell it from gen or rep. But with a 2892 or 2500 this also feel 100% as the gen.

you have a really nice here chaw keep it! I regret I sold my super Franken PO every time I see one of these.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I also got one NOS Omega 2500 movement as I also want to super Franken a 2500 PO again. Probably only the rep mid case and case back will be rep depending on my economical status the following months.
Threads like this make me very happy :D

Watchgoon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/12
Ive got a busted v2 with happy feet that I would like to franken, should I begin with a better case or am I good to go?

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

imajedi

15/8/13
Hello!

sevanyme.jpg

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Craig, this build was easy due to the fact that you did all the homework for me. I congratulate you on the ultimate PO you deserve more of the credit than I. It has been a pleasure working with you!!.

dave0280

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/5/13
That's one stunning pumpkin, congratulations and wear it well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Craig, this build was easy due to the fact that you did all the homework for me. I congratulate you on the ultimate PO you deserve more of the credit than I. It has been a pleasure working with you!!.

It's not finished yet. I still need a gen bezel and this has arrived:

I also bought the gen movement spacer.

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Wow, you don't do things by halves Craig, think this will be as gen as possible once the bezel and movement are fitted. This has to be the ULTIMATE PO!!!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Chaw have you fitted the gen movement yet? I'm waiting for the Franken PO v5 that I have bought so I can install my 2500 movement and the last gen parts to make it super franken. And I absolutely think we have the same taste in watches as we both have the same Frankens the Tag Carrera and 2500 PO 42 mm.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Chaw have you fitted the gen movement yet? I'm waiting for the Franken PO v5 that I have bought so I can install my 2500 movement and the last gen parts to make it super franken. And I absolutely think we have the same taste in watches as we both have the same Frankens the Tag Carrera and 2500 PO 42 mm.

Sorry Santre - only just seen this. No it's not been fitted yet.

I will have it fitted at some point soon. The gen movement ring seems just a touch too tall.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
This is getting better and better! Keep us posted buddy!

D

d4m.test

I'm glad I found this thread, even if it is a bold old and in need of updates.

I have a 2892 movement I want to install in my franken, and I just picked up a dead 2500 movement for $65! I plan on at least transferring the rotor onto my 2892, but I'm going to see what kind of condition the bridges are in. I might be able to disguise my 2892 as a 2500. Very exciting stuff.

So you used the ETA2824 movement ring to hold the 2892 in place? And the gen dust cover on top? Interesting. I would leave it that way if it is functionally better than using the gen 2500 movement ring.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Hi Big Raji

It was a 2824 movement ring, but the gen one was really cheap and you can screw the movement to the ring and the ring to the case unlike the rep one.

The 2500 auto wind should fit if you grind a little off. Otherwise it won't fit and the angle of the balance cock is different. Not much though.

The 2500c is now in with a gen bezel too, but the gen HE valve leaked and ruined the dial. Not sure why. It is the crown on the valve, not the threading into the case. A new he valve soon fixed that.

New dial should be here soon. Maybe with some updated pics.