• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

For how long will a relume last?

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
Hi all,

i was just wondering if i send my watch for a reluma, to ex Vaccum, does the lume
last? Or is it something that has to be re-done in a couple of years!?

Regards

Mike

Rogerthat

Renowned Member
6/11/06
I would think it would last a good 10 years or so, but I am not certain the answer and think it is a good question.
Is there any drop off after say 3+ years in luminoscity (spelled wrong) may be the better question to ask though, it may offend a prefessional to imply that you would have to relume every year or two.

tehflea

Known Member
10/11/08
considering the the strontium aluminate "super lumes" have only been around since the early 90's its probably too early to really tell how they will degrade... but everything degrades, even tritium has a half-life

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
tehflea said:
considering the the strontium aluminate "super lumes" have only been around since the early 90's its probably too early to really tell how they will degrade... but everything degrades, even tritium has a half-life

Actualy tritium has the shortest life of all. Five years or so and you would be thinking it's a bit dull. It ain't as bright as supalume either. Still, it doesn't die down in a few hours like luminesent coatings. It realy is luminius as opposed to just storing light like a normal lume. If it was available easyiley it would still be my choice.

For the OP, here is some reading on Lume.

http://www.kronometric.org/article/lume/

http://yarchive.net/gun/tritium.html

Hope that helps.

Col.

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
No doubt there is quite a bit of knowledge on this forum.

Thanx for the answers and the links.

Its a tricky question.

Regards

Mike

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
Most current luminous compounds themselves don't degrade with age unless exposed to moisture. The part that is most likely to be affected over time is the binder used, this is basically a varnish and can yellow with age and exposure to strong light unless very carefully created. Manufacturers spend a lot of their research time developing binders that are both free of UV filters and still resistant to discolouration.