• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Folded/Hammered Damascus Steel Watch Cases

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Hey guys,

After taking a photo of my GMT II beside my Japanese folded Damascus steel cooking knife it really got me thinking; why have none of the major brands tried to implement this into their designs? at least none of them have to my knowledge. I'm sure that while it probably wouldn't be easy, it can be done. It would give the watch a really interesting look, it would be similar to forged carbon in the sense that each case would be unique. For instance, even if just the midlinks on the GMT below were done in folded Damascus steel could you see yourself buying it?

Steel_zpsdbay77hu.jpg

Sometimes Japanese blades feature a hammered effect as well as the wave patterns you get from the folded steel. The hammering creates these three dimensional looking grooves in the steel which have the appearance of being quite deep but feel shallow as you run your finger over the blade. It could really add some complexity to a watch especially a more masculine watch such as a PAM or AP. Below are a few examples

Ryusen-Tsuchime1.jpg

Damascus-Knife.jpg

AT_1625_A__65167.1412846811.1280.1280.jpg

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
That would really be something wouldnt it ?

I think the major problem with damascus is its tendecy to rust with out some kind of coating (oil or clear)

I dont know if anyone could produce a stainless damascus.

J6Eg8sE.jpg

Not too sure about the rolex, but i would definitely go for a damascus Seiko !

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
After lookin into it, i guess another problem (production problem) with Damascus is it needs to be cut or machined into the desired shape, i cannot be stamped or punched.

Well it could be stamped but it will loose all the layering definitions as they will be pressed together and no longer be visable.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Wow, nice findings. It really makes the watch look very exotic.

I would have thought a brand like AP, Richard Mille or Roger Dubuis would have picked it up because they're always trying to push the envelope with exotic materials.

I would have thought that the passion and effort that goes into making and shaping the steel for the Japanese knives would make an interesting selling point for the high-end watchmakers