• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fixed my Omega clasp!

petemoss

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/12/10
My Omega clasp wouldn't close. There's a sticky about this problem above, but unfortunately the pictures are gone. I took a shot and was able to fix it myself. Hope these pictures will help:

First pic: this is the only pin you need to punch out, the one next to the button.
I had a pin pusher from a watch tool kit I bought on Amazon for about $15. This pin pusher is also invaluable for pushing out bracelet pins.

DSCN1597.jpg

Note that like the bracelet, this pin goes into a tube. Once the pin is out, the cover can be lifted out, revealing the clasp spring. You need to play with the spring, rebending it so it works properly.

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1598.jpg

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Nice note... Will keep it in mind just in case my SMP clasp goes haywire. Thanks.

Spiderman

12/9/10
also my clasp was a little slow......thanks, I needed your help with this!:)

dan_j

5/11/10
Awesome tutorial. A lot of my omega clasps had this problem...the hardest part is always figuring out the correct shape of the spring..always takes me a few tries.

Daniel

petemoss

16/12/10
Just a couple of points I forgot to mention. Read fakey's tutorial http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/tutorial-using-seamaster-clasp-36556 He explains how to make sure the diver's extension is snapped down. Also, before reattaching the plate, watch how the ends of the spring attach to the buttons. You need to rotate the buttons so that the wire is secured in a little channel on the back of the button. The flat side of the channel should face up and goes against the plate. That keeps the wire inside the channel and the cover plate down.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
been there done that.....

Ofrei sells this very particular bendy spring part, in the event you bend it beyond recognition and fubar the thing.

petemoss

16/12/10
Otto Ofrei has replacement clasp parts if you break the spring. Seems the spring is easily broken if you try to bend it too much. There are several clasp springs available depending on your particular watch. To find the right spring, look for a stamped number on the back of the end link between the lugs. Mine says "952" and I was able to find the right spring. The Ofrei page: http://www.ofrei.com/page393.html