• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Rep. Planet Ocean 42

general-lee

Horology Curious
2/7/12
Hi everyone!
First of all, thank you for a magnificent forum! If I had not stumbled upon RWI I would probably have been scammed out of my shorts by now. Have been reading a lot a couple of days now and think I am going to give a go at a proper PO rep as my first one. As far as I have understood, what is called the 5th-gen or UPO are what I am looking for. (They are the same, right?) The other thing I am unsure of is which movement to get. What I am looking for is the best possible out of the box 42mm PO I can get. (Orange bezel, steel bracelet, no chrono) This is going to be my daily beater, so I obviously want it to last for a while. I have narrowed it down to an ETA clone or a Swiss movement, but I have understood that the Swiss movements are not as good because they are (often poorly) repaired old movements. So am I correct if I say that a 5th-gen/UPO with a ETA 2836-2 clone is the best PO-rep available atm?

This is the one I have my eyes on now, any reason to look at anything else?
http://www.puretime.co/product/planet-ocean-42mm-ultimate-edition-orange-on-ss-bracelet-eta2836/

Thank you!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep that's the one, it just depends on your favorite size, the 42mm is a good safe bet to go with first. 5th gen the name given to 42mm, UPO is the name given to 45mm (don't ask why! :D!)

Your best bet is to go with the Asian clone as you said, they are as durable as the swiss and why pay extra when nobody is sure what they are getting these days. I know it is called the 2836-2 on the page linked but the movement is actually a 2824-2 in these, either way clone is fine.

I would just ask your dealer to check the screwdown crown during the QC process, these are great watches but do sometimes suffer from rep crown weak thread issues. It doesn't mean they are all like that but if you can ask for one with a solid screwdown (i.e. couple of full turns) then you are good to go as a beater for a long time.

Enjoy the watch! ;)

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
What the doc said....

I have the one with a 2824 movement and it is sweet. A fantastic rep that runs great and a pleasure to wear.

Rich_IX

Known Member
28/5/12
I got one a fews back from Toro, I got the Swiss movement using it as a daily beater also it's a great watch and runs like a charm :)

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
What exactly is the crown thread issue with these? Strips over time? How could a dealer check it?