• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Omega rep , PO 42mm but..

shenns

Horology Curious
21/2/12
..I stripped the crown on the first try :lol: . Got a nice piece from trevor, the 2824 movment.

I already have a gen tube and crown becuase ive been know to strip a few crowns :lol:. THinking about doing the mods myself as they dont look too hard from the other threads i saw. Noob to omega but have some questions..

1) when people refere to gen date wheel does that mean omega gen datawheel or swiss eta datewheel? I cant seem to find a part number.

2) Anything worth changing while i do replace the tube and crown thats cheap?

ras2s9.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Please confirm your movement. 2843?
Do you have a link to his sales thread?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Watch looks great nice one! It's just the swiss eta datewheel, not sure of code off hand but it's listed somewhere here...the parts thread top of omega section should do it.
Is it worth changing anything else...hmmm a loaded question :D if you are happy with it as is then leave it as is, and you always have the option later. If you want to splash out several hundred quid then up to you, dial/hands change is probably the most significant update, followed by crystal, followed by bezel imo....can you see the £$ racking up :D

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Two questions to ask the PO experts:

1- Does the 4th gen PO have the same crown tube issues as the OPs watch?

2- Is this watch offered by Trevor (LINK) a 4th gen?

I could spend the next hour reading, or just ask you guys. :)

Thanks!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
1- Does the 4th gen PO have the same crown tube issues as the OPs watch? Yes

2- Is this watch offered by Trevor (LINK) a 4th gen? No

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Does that mean the watch in the link doesn't have crown tube issues? (I clearly don't know what a "correct version" is). I'm just looking for a decent PO that I won't have to work on unless I want to.

Thanks a ton for the help, I'm usually not this lazy. :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
These are a real bargain at the price from Trevor, especially the a2824. Fair play to him for offering these at such a competitive price! They've become a very popular sell from him lately, ....more so than from any other dealer, unlike when they first came out they came from every dealer across all the fora, he seems to be the favoured guy to get a PO from recently.... he must be going goggle eyed from all the qc pics of PO's he's dealing with :)

Does that mean the watch in the link doesn't have crown tube issues? (I clearly don't know what a "correct version" is). I'm just looking for a decent PO that I won't have to work on unless I want to.

Thanks a ton for the help, I'm usually not this lazy. :)

PO's have (or potentially can have) crown tube issues across the board from the past few generations. All the releases have them, doesn't matter which dealer they come from the factory supplies the same model to all dealers. The good news is it's not an expensive mod and once complete that is the end of trouble with it. Also just to add, some people just luckily have working crown/tube that hasn't stripped but it is always a potential weakness down the road with these.

Edit.....The best you can hope for is to ask the dealer to test the crown tube action and get one that screws in well i.e. 4 or 5 good solid turns! this will delay stripping for a while at least or if careful may last a long time. Too many of these watches have (combined with a soft tube which causes the stripping) a very shallow turn action, just one or two turns to stop, this type will almost certainly strip, and fast!

btw just to further add, 5th gen i.e the one in the link above by q5 is the only one to get these days, 4th gen are pretty much impossible to find except 2nd hand!

eudora12

26/2/12
Question,
Once the crown is stripped, does it not screw back?
does it affect adjusting the date/time or screwing to increase the power reserve?

luckie

19/12/11
My advice buy the SMP(Seamaster Professional), no crown issues and a beautiful Omega as well. In fact it's my favorite style.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Question,
Once the crown is stripped, does it not screw back?
does it affect adjusting the date/time or screwing to increase the power reserve?

A stripped crown means you can't secure/tighten the crown. All functions will still work but your watch will not be waterproof.

shenns

Horology Curious
21/2/12
Watch looks great nice one! It's just the swiss eta datewheel, not sure of code off hand but it's listed somewhere here...the parts thread top of omega section should do it.
Is it worth changing anything else...hmmm a loaded question :D if you are happy with it as is then leave it as is, and you always have the option later. If you want to splash out several hundred quid then up to you, dial/hands change is probably the most significant update, followed by crystal, followed by bezel imo....can you see the £$ racking up :D

ok thanks. I'll save the dial and bezel for later . That alone cost more than the rep!

Also i noticed my threads are on the outside of the tube vs in the inside unlike several rep tubes ive seen. Is this correct?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The ETA date wheel I posted above is not listed on their website BTW :)

I'm going by there today and pick up some goodies. IKEA is close by and I gotta get my Swedish meatballs!

shenns

Horology Curious
21/2/12

I'm going by there today and pick up some goodies. IKEA is close by and I gotta get my Swedish meatballs!

haha thanks. Yeap i was tryign to find it but no sucess. GUess i have to email them?
Speaking of ikea..i have an old ikea jerker desk i might turn into a little watch repair station.. Just a pain in arse to move

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yes, but don't buy the last one!!! :lol1:

shenns

Horology Curious
21/2/12
thanks drbollocko! It wasnt really listed in the franken thread but i buried in insulk's thread.

Im loving this rep even with its flaws. I set the time 5 days ago and its only 2 seconds behind from my pc time! Not sure if thats the most accurate way but good enough for me.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
That's pretty damn good timing, these are sweet reps, and looks like you got a good one...well a good one apart from those damn crown/tube issues ;)