• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fine DD Double AR PO Crystal Review and a Quick Installation Tutorial

dan_j

5/11/10
One of the biggest tells on UPO is the single AR crystal. The gen PO has a double AR crystal (it used to have blue/purple-ish hue but it has been changed to colourless a couple of years ago). So I had been searching for an aftermarket PO crystal for sometime when I contacted Uwe at Fine DD. He told me that he has an aftermarket crystal for PO and he can coat it with AR on both sides. It was much cheaper than getting a gen PO crystal (nearly 200 dollars with shipping to Canada).

After long 3 weeks, the package finally arrived today.
IMG_1212.jpg

Open the package and...TADA!
IMG_1213.jpg

Fine DD AR is known to have slightly yellow-ish hue and I tried to capture it here
IMG_1214.jpg

The yellow tint is almost invisible and had trouble capturing it. Also, once installed on the watch, it's even more hard to find it against the black dial - pics will be shown later.

Here's the watch before transformation
IMG_1210.jpg

You can see a lot of reflection on the crystal. You can pretty much see the view from my window on the crystal.

So, the first thing I did was open the caseback and remove the stem (I hate this part...makes me so nervous every time I have to press the release lever).
IMG_1216.jpg

Then remove all the movement holder screws and remove the dial and the movement
IMG_1217.jpg

Then remove the crystal using proper sized dyes and a crystal press (the press cost me less than 10 dollars on eBay).
IMG_1219.jpg

Once the crystal was out, the first thing I noticed was that the new crystal was slightly thinner than it needed to be (not sure why..I guess I screwed up the measurements). But it didn't end up being a big problem in the end.
IMG_1221.jpg

Then, put in the new crystal using the same tools
IMG_1222.jpg

I did a quick waterproof test and I did not see any leaks when it was placed in a cup of water...I guess it's safe for washing hands and etc.

Put everything back together again
IMG_1223.jpg

And whoa..
IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

I'm a terrible photographer so I couldn't really capture the beauty of the double AR crystal but wow believe me the difference is just amazing. The dial really pops out and makes the watch look substantially better quality (not to mention gen-like).

All in all, it was the best decision I ever made since I started collecting reps. I would also like to thank Uwe for answering all my questions and bugging him with updates. I would recommend Fine DD to everyone.

Daniel

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
As always, great job from Uwe

ehfour

Known Member
6/4/09
Looks good

Can you PM me the link for the Crystal press? Need one for a Taka Crystal

Tmax

Known Member
19/7/10
Uwe is the best

he did my PO 42 mineral crystal

He now has 3 PAMs of mine

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Excellent review. How did the crystal gasket look when you removed it?

dan_j

5/11/10
Thanks guys

I didn't need to remove the gasket actually. But as far as I can tell it was one of the better qualities I've seen on reps. It had no scratches or anything like that.

Daniel

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
Great tutorial from a great customer.

Thanks !

replikmaster

I'm Pretty Popular
19/1/11
Uwe has the very best AR coating that I've ever seen!!! I think all factories should buy the glasses with him!!!!!