• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finding the "true" Habana smokes

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
So it's common knowledge that a significant amount of Cubans sold here in the US are fakes. The question I pose is this: how is one to be sure (at least within a reasonable doubt) that the smokes one invests in are indeed legit? It's easy to tell with the more common brands; most Cohiba fakes have errors on the band of some sort. What about others? How would you tell, for example, if you went up to Canada or down to Mexico that the legal Cubans purchased there are not in reality rebanded or simply fake, expressly to fool people who make the trip for that reason?

Related: buying smokes online and having them shipped unbanded...same question. How does one know they're legit?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Rob, I stole this from another thread I started called fun fact you might not know about cigars.

IMO the ONLY way to know you are getting the real thing is to get a SEALED box with this logo on it and verify it. Reps are very good! :)

After you have smoked a pile of cubans, you will be able to tell by appearance, touch, and most importantly smell.

Comming up to Canada and getting them from a tobacconist is also a great way to get them. They sell cubans at 7-11 here!

"New fun fact!

Cuban labels have invisible ink that can be seen with a blacklight.

In a darkened room, under a blacklight (i.e., a UV light source), the Seal reveals two anti-counterfeiting measures.

The first measure relates to the serial number... under UV lighting, the numerical part (i.e., the last six digits) of the serial number appears black, while the letters part (i.e., the first two characters) still appear red... a neat trick.

The second measure appears in the center of the Seal, positioned directly above the serial number. Under UV light, it glows as a faint pinkish watermark. The image density is extremely light, as you would expect with a watermark. However, if you spend enough time squinting at it, you will see it is, in fact, the Cuban Republic Coat of Arms (i.e., the same Shield which is also pictured in the oval on the left side of the Seal and printed in green).

UV_seal.gif

I just checked all my boxes! Soooo cool. Rep that! Haha "

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Thanks for that frig! I should've thought of the smell...all of the (very few) Cubans I've ever had did have a distinctive smell to them. As for the UV tricks, very cool! Never knew that.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Check out that thread for more fun facts.

As for smell the way I'm going isn't that cubans have a distinct smell, although they do, it was that premium cigars do and most knock off cubans are substandard to the discerning smoker. Cheers!

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
most Cohiba fakes have errors on the band of some sort.

I would say that most Cohiba gens have errors on the band of some sort also. Quality control for that type of stuff isn't particularly top notch in Cuba. Also note that many fakes are using genuine bands.

The way I would suggest to ensure you get genuine smokes is to either (1) only buy from companies that are retailers that are directly associated with a Habanos, S.A. wholesaler, or (2) only buy from a friend that you trust.

Habanos, S.A. is the only source for genuine Cuban brand cigars. They send most of their cigars to other countries. There is, pretty much, only one authorized wholesaler per country. They then distribute to retailers.

Interbaks is the Swiss wholesaler for Habanos, SA. Altadis, S.A. is the Spanish dealer. Retailers that are directly and verifiably (yes I made up a word) associated with them, are the only companies I would order from for the U.S.

Havana House Cigars and Tobacco Merchants, LTD is the Canadian dealer. There are a lot of fakes in Canada too. So typically go some place higher end or somewhere where you know Havana House is their wholesaler.

Let me know if you want some gen Cubans. We can add you into our next group buy.

On another note, there are also companies selling very good fake seals.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
You could call Havana House and ask them if they are an authorized retailer. +1 416 406 6644

If you want a couple reputable sources, pm me...

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Little do people know, the 300,000 smokes that were confiscated in Chicago were actually part of Maty's personal stash :lolcina:

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
LOL, I wish... But really, there are a lot of hurt people who got notices from CBP and will be on a watchlist for as long as they live. And all this started with the copy-machine bomb incident