• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Exercise caution when using Wise for TD payments

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
This is a heads-up for anyone who may be using Wise for business or has higher amounts of funds parked with them. In that case, you should exercise caution when paying a TD via Wise.

The following occured recently with my Wise account:

I had been using Wise (formerly know as TransferWise) since 2019 for private transactions. I have sent about €60,000 in total since then, within EU and outside. Not once did any of my transactions trigger any money laundering alerts.

3 months ago I tried to send approximately €300 to a TD's UnionPay card in China. The payment did not go through. Instead, for the first time since using my Wise account, a money laundering alert was triggered and I was asked to submit documents to prove the source of the €300 I was trying to send to China. None of the documents provided were sufficient to get the payment approved. After a few attempts, the final notice was that the recipient's account was currently unable to receive any funds and that the money would be refunded. My own Wise account was unlocked again, even though the verification of my documents was unsuccessful. A few days later, I was able —as always— to transfer about €1,400 to an account I own outside of the EU and that I had previously sent money to dozens of times without any issues.

Since then I had not used my Wise account... until last week when I attempted to repeat the same transfer again, but this time once again a money laundering alert was triggered. Again, any documents I submitted were insufficient to resolve the issue. However, this time Wise decided to completely shut my account down. There's no obvious reason to do so on my side, so I assume that this must be somehow linked to the incident with the TD's Chinese bank account back in April/May.

Luckily, I do have no funds worth mentioning parked with them and I don't need them for business. I can simply switch to an alternative for my private transactions with the half a dozen other fin tech apps I have, but if you should have larger sums with them or if you need your account to conduct business, just be careful. If, for example (according to my research, this is even explicitly mentioned in their terms!), your private Wise account is terminated, any business account you have with them will be suspended as well and any funds will be frozen for up to 6 months or in some documented cases even up to a whole year.

As always, your own mileage may vary and this is just one case you may have heard of. But if you research this topic, you'll see that account suspensions have increased dramatically since 2020 and many banks and financial service providers will prefer to shut down an account of an innocent customer like myself over the tiniest suspicion than to risk hefty fines from regulators. In this case, I suspect that this particular account the TD had used (I think they use several at a time) was previously flagged and I caught a bad moment to send the funds... Then, apparently mine was flagged as well and Wise's algorithm or perhaps an overly eager, money-launderer-huntin' case officer decided that my ex-EU transactions were retrospectively suspicious and then on top of that, they didn't like the docs I submitted and bam!, account suddenly terminated — most likely also guided by an internal "better be safe than sorry" policy.

Well, again, just use caution IF you really need your Wise account... Or IF you have a lot of money with them. Other than that, you can mostly disregard this. 😆

Last edited:

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Small update: I did raise an objection against the account closure, but last Friday I received notice that it was rejected and that the account won't be re-opened. Again, they indicated that they can't say why that is = which basically means they have reasons to believe something like money laundering or other shady things have happened. 😂

Well, I know for a fact that this is 100% not the case, so I'm repeating my warning to those who need their Wise account for their business or have larger amounts parked there: Wise apparently makes absolutely erratic decisions sometimes and can and will close your account for no real reason whatsoever, apparently based on the slightest suspicion they might have (I'm still suspecting the failed TD payment attempt, because that was the first time any kind of alert was triggered and Wise asked for documentation for the very first time in almost half a decade).

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
That´s strange in deed. I also had to document the source of the money, but they accepted my papers without any problems.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
i never keep money on wise or paypal.
I use the credit card to bank transfer

it is marginally more expensive but that's peanuts

also I might have been lucky but every td i bought from had an EU account except Belkin

Reactions: Hec and Procurator

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
That´s strange in deed. I also had to document the source of the money, but they accepted my papers without any problems.

The problem is that this payment was not coming from an account for ordinary salaries. I still have documents that account for every cent in it though. But it seems that their risk management department is only able to verify 100% straightforward cases where you receive a company salary. You deviate from that just a bit... Self-employed, family gifts, foreign income, inheritance, lottery win or any other more complicated cases, and apparently they struggle so much with that that they'd rather want to be safe than sorry. 😂

Can't really blame them tbh. Finance regulators have become truly relentless with penalties and fines in recent years. But I'm pretty sure if I made a big fuss about it on other channels than through their support, they would in the end realize their mistake. But honestly, who has time or energy for that?

I don't need them, as there are plenty of alternatives.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Yes, of course, they don't do it on a whim, but are forced to by law. By the way, this applies to all financial service providers, except that your bank, for example, can of course track where the money comes from. As soon as you come with larger cash deposits or cash cheques, the fun starts there too ... I've experienced it all, but they are forced to do it by law, so you can't blame them ;-)
The stupid thing for us is that PayPal (for M2M) and Wise (for TD orders from China) basically have a monopoly and you are out of the game if they close your account. That's also the reason why I never order for others, even though you could save on shipping costs.
And a word about Wise: Their service is crap anyway. I once made a typo at the account number at a TD order from China and although I reported it immediately, I never got my money back. The friendly support staff only said: "Wait a few days" ... again and again. Luckily, this happened with the cheapest watch I ever ordered in China ;-)

Reactions: eBoy and Procurator

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@JayBee0815 Agree with everything you said. But in my experience, none of the TDs that I used for Wise actually used Wise (even though they explicitly offered it). Meaning that they didn't use the proprietary system. They all gave me a UnionPay Card account to pay into, which, if I'm not mistaken, Revolut and others should be able as well. I will be gladly corrected, because I'm not 100% sure...

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@JayBee0815 Agree with everything you said. But in my experience, none of the TDs that I used for Wise actually used Wise (even though they explicitly offered it). Meaning that they didn't use the proprietary system. They all gave me a UnionPay Card account to pay into, which, if I'm not mistaken, Revolut and others should be able as well. I will be gladly corrected, because I'm not 100% sure...

@JayBee0815 tagging apparently doesn't work inside jets at high altitudes. 🤣