• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Evolution of the PO 42 2500...

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
It's taken me a while, but I've finally decided to get myself a gen PO 42. I'm going to go with a nice pre-loved 2201.50 as the latest ceramic POs are a tad chunky for my liking and the LM LEs are few and far between.

Can anyone shed some light on the evolution of the various PO 42s from 2500A to the latest D version? I found this really useful movement comparison on WUS, but I was hoping some of the experts could chime in to shed some light on the subtle differences between models (i.e. crystal AR, DW font etc.)...

Thanks in advance - any advice greatfully received ;-)

rhstranger

Horology Curious
11/6/13
Everything I have read suggests that you need to go with the 2500 D movement. Some of the earlier models had problems with the accuracy and in rare cases the movement just stopped. The easiest way to tell is the date font is different. Used 2500D are available at a value as most want to go with the In-house movement. Good luck with your search.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Everything I have read suggests that you need to go with the 2500 D movement. Some of the earlier models had problems with the accuracy and in rare cases the movement just stopped. The easiest way to tell is the date font is different. Used 2500D are available at a value as most want to go with the In-house movement. Good luck with your search.

That was my initial feeling. I think I prefer the look of the latest DW font and am I right in assuming that the crystal AR coating is slightly less tinted/blue than earlier models?

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Yes, I believe that the earlier models had the blueish tinted AR coating.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
My 2500D has clear AR.

I hope you get one. The PO is already a classic.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
My 2500D has clear AR.

I hope you get one. The PO is already a classic.

Clear AR is what I'm after - 2500D it is.

As much as I may regret it at some point, I'm actually going to trade in my 2008 sapphire sandwich Speedy to get the PO. I know they'd make a great pair, but I can't really justify having them both and the Speedy gets no wrist time at all. If anyone is interested in doing a swap, let me know :thumbsup:

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Not sure when the clearer AR came out exactly but it was around 09/10. The 2500c gets a bad rap at times, some do have the dreaded stopping affliction but once they are serviced they are fine. I have an early PO from 2005 with the blue AR, was serviced in 2010, rock solid +1 sec every 3 or 4 days.
Definitely pick up the 2500D if you can get one...they are rare though and cost a bit of a premium even over the C....and those are going up in price as well.

Try to hold onto the SS as well, cracking speedy!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
If I didn't get luck with this D, I'd have picked any version. The PO is an all time classic.( Same as my SMP) I'd love to add a Tudor sub some day.

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
From what i understand, the initial 2500 movements weren't perfect (2500a-b) and it was mainly due to the balance wheel. The older ones have a balance wheel with screws in them that allow for micro adjustments and maybe they also had different bpm. The c and d i guess are refined. They made the bpm slower and replaced with the balance wheel with one that doesn't have the screws for micro adjustment.

In summary, go with a 2500c or d. If you plan to have it serviced by omega, buy any one cause they will update the movement for you when they perform the service.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Okay so what about gen PO 2500 vs 8500? I find my BP CrPO 42 a tad chunky for a shirt cuff; not sure if the 2201.50 is more of a 'classic' keeper...?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
My three year old 2500C has colorless AR. It is the most accurate automatic watch I own.

I would not have rolled the dice on the A or B unless serviced by Omega, frankly. But I suspect the drama over the movement's problems is to blame for my caution. Plenty of folks have posted in the forums of having no problems.

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
Okay so what about gen PO 2500 vs 8500? I find my BP CrPO 42 a tad chunky for a shirt cuff; not sure if the 2201.50 is more of a 'classic' keeper...?

It's a tough decision. If ur basing it on the movement I'd go with the 8500 cause it is more of a in house movement with the co axial design fully built in and a double barrel mainspring (a lot more power reserve). Not to mentions it's nicer looking and brand new.

On the other hand, you can probably get a better deal on the 2500 version. And if you like it more understated/classic, the 2500 is just fine.

IMO another good option is the 8500 aqua terra. You get the new movement, it's smaller than the PO so it will fit under the shirt sleeve, it's the new bond watch, and it probably is cheaper then the 8500 PO.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
It's a tough decision. If ur basing it on the movement I'd go with the 8500 cause it is more of a in house movement with the co axial design fully built in and a double barrel mainspring (a lot more power reserve). Not to mentions it's nicer looking and brand new.

On the other hand, you can probably get a better deal on the 2500 version. And if you like it more understated/classic, the 2500 is just fine.

IMO another good option is the 8500 aqua terra. You get the new movement, it's smaller than the PO so it will fit under the shirt sleeve, it's the new bond watch, and it probably is cheaper then the 8500 PO.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. I've noticed the used prices for the 2500D POs have crept up a bit in recent months, maybe due to people having second thoughts about upgrading to the 8500s? The Chrono 24 prices, in particular, are quite frankly silly, with 'only' £500 between the new and old models.

Personally I think the ceramic bezel and improved movement (not to mention brand new vs used 1-2 years old) is enough to justify the extra investment. It's just the case thickness; if only it was 1-2mm thinner...

The AT 8500 is lovely, but I'm a sucker for diver bezels even though I've never swum in water deeper than a paddling pool!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
2500D on rubber
IMAG0927-1.jpg

Absolutely perfect awesome pool day!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
R2 "nudged" me into picking one up last Spring. Thank you R2!!!!!
greenstars.gif

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11

Really? I hope you insisted on a box and papers ;-)

For some reason there seems to be a glut of 2500D PO 42s in the UK. Come on people sell one to me :cheer: