• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA stem problem? too short?

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Ok heres the situation.. the stem came loose from the crown on my ETA rolex 16610... i thought no big deal, i will just pop out the stem and screw it back into the crown and reinstall everything. I got the stem out easily and screwed it back into the crown and pushed the stem back in... now the first position out (after you unscrew the crown) changes the date and if you pull it all the way out, it adjusts the hour and minute hands but it feels like something is slipping and not grabbing firmly.

Is the stem to long or too short now? i think i might have to unscrew the stem a little from the crown to make it the correct length? The watch worked fine before it came loose and the keyless works appear to be ok...

I'm really confused

mukhtiarsingh

Horology Curious
6/6/08
It sounds as if indeed the stem is short(how)..it might work if you unscrew a bit but to hold it in that position u may need to apply a quick setting glue since you may need to wind the watch and this might unscrew the stem.Lets hear from others.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
You could try cutting a small piece of solder and popping it down the crown thread. Then screw the crown back on the stem using trial and error for the length of the solder till you get it right...

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Dizzy said:
The watch worked fine before it came loose and the keyless works appear to be ok...

I'm really confused

If the stem worked fine before then the length is probably OK. This happened to me a couple of times and I found that the winding pinion and the clutch did not line up properly after removing the stem. The way to check this would be to remove the keyless cover and visually see if everything is where it should be...

EDIT: oh brother I just realized Diz you posted this almost a year ago. :eek: