• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2824-2 Running Fast

baz41182

Horology Curious
12/9/08
HI Everyone,

Recently bought a 42mm Planet Ocean from Trusty with ETA 2824-2 movement.
I have checked it today for accuracy against a digital watch, in a day its running about 15 seconds fast.

Is this the norm? i have seen previous posts about getting watches regulated. Could somebody give me a rough idea of how much this would cost in the UK and if it is worth me doing it?

Thank you

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Hi Baz,

With a few tools and some steady hands it can be a pretty easy fix.

1. Silicone grease
2. Powder free surgeons gloves
3. precision screw driver
4. Ball of Duct Tape or Small rubber ball (Air type) (Case Back Removal Tool :D )

Instructions:
1. Take off the case back.
2. Look for the regulator screw.
3. Turn screw toward the minus stamp. This is an eccentric screw and it doesn't need too much of correction at all. Move it a nanometer if that, a little goes a long way.
4. Screw the case back on but not too tight and turn it face up, observe and adjust if needed.
5. Grease case back o-ring and screw it back on snugly.

IMGP3899.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
BTW this movement is also from a 42MM PO. It is running 5 minutes fast every hour! This a problem that is a bit more involved. :wink:

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
+15 sec in 24 hrs is pretty good for a 2824 if you're timing it while it's being worn. Accuracy is very much affected by the position of the watch (in relation to gravity) so I'd suggest trying leaving the watch in a couple of different positions overnight, one will probably average out the gain you're getting when worn.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I've found that trying to time a watch in the first couple of weeks of wearing it is an exercise in futility.

Ever notice that most of them run slow or fast out of the box (mostly slow) and by the time you get it almost set (with the adjuster almost pegged) and have to start moving the adjuster back the other way. By the time you're finished you're usually pretty close to where you started at?

15 seconds a day is pretty impressive for a automatic. COSC standards allows +6 -4, so you're only 9 seconds off from the best of the best.

Give it 2 weeks and then tweak it if you feel the need.

baz41182

Horology Curious
12/9/08
OK Guys, I think i will leave it perhaps another week and see how i go.
I dont really wanna open it up and do anything myself, lol i even mucked up taking a pin out and had to take it to the shop. But thanks for the guide anyway, someone else searching will prob find that pretty useful.

I will report back to let you know, PS. Have just done a quick check today and its another 15 seconds exactly

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
That's right, a 15 sec a day without any tweak is really good.

Its possible to get a 1 - 3 seconds running + or - on any eta auto movement. Turn the little screw doesn't help a lot in many cases.
I'll write a tuto with pictures this week.

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
same problem here on an MBW Nautilus, about 20 seconds, problem is that there is no case back so you have to take it out from the top, and then remove the dial...scary ! I'd need to find a watchsmith in France/Europe who can handle that type of watch !

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
thats why i suggest a Base Panerai, no seconds at all.....

do i care about 15 sec / day ??

NOT !!

if i wear it 3 days....and then change my watch....oh my god !

i am 40 seconds late !!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
horologie_unitas said:

NOT !!

i am 40 seconds late !!

Yeah HU but have guns so no one yells at you if your late. :wink:

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
horologie_unitas said:

NOT !!

i am 40 seconds late !!

:lol:

Well said !

This is one of the automatic watches collectors problem,
if you tweak a watch and get fine settings, just the fact of let it rest to wear another one will affect the precision.
Each wrist motion has a signature.
Each automatic movement module has a signature...
Fine tunning on a automatic movement suppose to wear the watch every days a full week minimum and observe.
During this observation periode, the watch should rest just nights.