• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2801-2 winding issue

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Hey all, wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction here.
I have a watch with the ETA 2801-2 hand winding movement. Its in rotation with a bunch of other watches and in the roughly 3 years or so of ownership I havent been wearing it a hell of alot.
Lately I noticed when winding about 12 or so winds I get n click/snap and then I stop for fear of overwinding. Then I only get about 18 hrs of power out of it. This wasnt there when the watch was new so something definitly gave in. This morning I wound past the snap and it could go another 12 or so before snapping again.
When I wind and let go of the crown the crown slowly turns anti clockwise by itself.
Is this a keyless issue perhaps? Has something gotten dislodged?
Any advice would be appreciated.

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
I haven't seen the movement but I found out it should be almost the same like a 2824.
Shouldn't the crown wheel/click spring prevent it from turning backwards by itself?
Maybe there is is the issue.
Other than that it could be a keyless issue. I recently had a problem where I could wind it a few turns before a click and the stem would turn without winding. It was because the sliding pinion wasn't properly pressed to the winding pinion.
I guess it would help if you take the movement out and look what it really does if you wind it :)

Reactions: jpchub

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Yeah it could be. The plan is to open up and to check whats going on. I just want to gather as much info as possible before opening up a gen \m/ ????

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
Yeah it could be. The plan is to open up and to check whats going on. I just want to gather as much info as possible before opening up a gen \m/ ????

Makes sense :)
Maybe other members have also an idea what could be the issue here.

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Makes sense :)
Maybe other members have also an idea what could be the issue here.

it would seem that this morning's wind past the click/snap moved something back in place as now the crown isn't turning back by itself anymore. perhaps the winding gear (dont know the right term) has got some missing teeth and now its back on some teeth. guess I would just have to open up and look.

ugalord

Metalcore Addict
Patron
Certified
29/6/20
Europe
it would seem that this morning's wind past the click/snap moved something back in place as now the crown isn't turning back by itself anymore. perhaps the winding gear (dont know the right term) has got some missing teeth and now its back on some teeth. guess I would just have to open up and look.

Yeah that would be my guess too :) ill subscribe here to see how it turns out. I have plenty of spare parts of 2824 and 2836 if they are the same (goolge) that i can send you for the shipping costs :)

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
You’re a champ! Thanks bro. I will open up when I have some spare time and then update on here. Thanx again

Reactions: ugalord

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
How far does the crown go back? It is normal for handwinds to go back a bit until the clickpiece stops it.

Maybe the mainspring came loose out of its normally fixed position in its barrel, and thus unwinds and releases its power as soon as you hear the clicking sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raddave

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
How far does the crown go back? It is normal for handwinds to go back a bit until the clickpiece stops it.

Maybe the mainspring came loose out of its normally fixed position in its barrel, and thus unwinds and releases its power as soon as you here the clicking sound.

This was my first thought

Reactions: Plaasbaas

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town

Maybe the mainspring came loose out of its normally fixed position in its barrel, and thus unwinds and releases its power as soon as you hear the clicking sound.

so before the issue it would just turn back a slight bit (a degree or two) and then have a definite stop. with the issue it would slowly turn back perhaps a 4th or half of a full turn and then slowly come to a stop. no more definite stop. it seems to have gone back to normal after I rocked the crown a bit back and forth a few times and then went past the click. I did notice this morning it had that click/snap again when winding, but now it seems that the crown doesn't turn back like that anymore. So it seems something is slipping

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Sorry, at this point I believe your watch has to be opened, inspected and serviced/repaired by a watchmaker. Without being able to see what is going on inside your watch, one can merely make guesses.

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Sorry, at this point I believe your watch has to be opened, inspected and serviced/repaired by a watchmaker. Without being able to see what is going on inside your watch, one can merely make guesses.

Yeah I’m gonna give it a go