• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Does any dealer offer a 10 micron plated full gold watch?

outoftime

Horology Curious
25/10/07
Do any of the dealers on this forum offer any 10 micron full gold plated watches?
I know this can be done in China, becasue Stauer and Daniel Steiger offer these with Chinese movements
These watches never fade and they are much cheaper than what we are paying here from the dealers...

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
The best answer is we do not kmow...

and the likelihood of 10 mikes is low...

as for price, well, we pay a premium to flaunt a counterfeit luxyry watch..

30 microns will pretty much last a lifetime,

but then, 5 mikes is serviceable..

but then, would you believe a claim without proof..

heck, I do not believe Stauer or Daniel Steiger...

of course, one can alway diy aftermarket plating or have done..

:D

Life is Good!

Klink

best of all? Fire Gilding... outlawed in industrial first world countries..

Life is Good!

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
I've seen watches on both PerfectClones and TrustyTime that claim 10 microns of gold. But, as Klink said, or alluded to, who really knows? I have full gold watches from both sites that purport 5 microns, and neither have shown any wear.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
only problem in several years that i have seen with plated cn reps

is if scratched.. for instance, wearing tt at work, gold clasp can scratch or wear

on desktop.. doorjambs, etc. can be problem.. hard to be careful.. but overall, giving

good service.. oh yes, bezel another area.. but overall with some awareness and care

all is good..

k :D

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
I wish I could say the same, but a Daytona bracelet from Silix began flaking at about 90 days. They replaced it, and the new one has shown no wear after 6 months of occasional use. The new one was different, perhaps newer, as it had the comfort link that the first one didn't. It was also machined differently as my watch guy took 40 minutes to get the bracelet on.

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
Anyone can offer anything... delivering is, however a very different proposition.
Bit like waterproof tested reps, direct from the dropshipper :roll:
Cynical-Yes!
However after a few years around the traps, one tends to be a bit that way!
Offshore

outoftime

Horology Curious
25/10/07
okay so how can you deal direct?
NO DROP SHIPPING, Who on this forum actually has each watch that they are selling in their possession?

That's who all of us should be dealing with, that way you will not receive any flaking gold, busted screws on bracelets and so on.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
you are blessed

as one who seeks what cannot be had

what cannot be found

what cannot be won

problem is? quality control.. and since the vast majority of counterfeit watches

are acceptable, it is indeed worth to seek 100% acceotability as a consumer..

so go forth now, and buy only name brands from legal places, and deal with their customer service

when it goes wrong, as it will do from time to time..

ignore the dealers who will take care of you with counterfeit good because they have desires to stay in business..

and do give reviews of flaking, loose screws, misaligned bezels.. and never ask a dealer to give you what you seek

if it is drop shipped.. and never ever please

buy counterfeit expecting brilliance of perfection.. the percentage of errors may be small, but then,

are they not always and ever

unacceptable?

or

find a good dealer who will make it right..

is only matter of choice..

lol

Life is Good!

Klink

(heck, klinki forgot to use word, "cavil")

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
Well, after that rant..

WBK sells from U.S. no drop ship

Narikaa sells from U.K. no drop ship..

as for flaking gold.. well, happens, but is rare.. with a good dealer, anywhere in world (meaning China and the above)

you will be taken care of..

Reps are not off of a hygienic assembly line, nor all are the bits and pieces made in the same place, and often workers are

underpaid and malcontent - is miracle we get such continual good quality..

you want perfection, buy gens, and be then prepared for problems that happen.. as they do.. lol

Life is Good!

Good Luck!

Life is Definitely?

GOOD!!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I wouldn't bet on it. Even if you actually got that it all depends on how well the plating was done. As Doc said, the first one sucked and the second one was fine. So if they did a sloppy job no amount of thickness is going to matter. Save yourself the money.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
The other side of the coin?

Do just a little research here or on other forums.. you will find very few if any complaints about gold reps..

yes, screw upd do occur.. and they occur on genuine watches too..

but odds are very good you will receive a watch that will give you service for many years..

Life is Good!

Klink

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I have had 50-50 luck with all the gold watches I have bought here. I will not do it again unless I here the group all giving great reviews of something very special like the RG Big Bang Ceramic etc.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
This is a thread Hi-Jack NO ONE MOVE!!!

tn_hijack_mpg.jpg

Ok, now, how do you plate 10-30 microns of gold to something? Home kit? Jeweler?

I've always been curious about this. Now, someone kindly reply or else! :twisted:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
you just keep layering the gold on or leave it in the solution longer. BUT improper prep work or miscalculations will leave you with a crappy plating job. What i would do if i were you is buy from a dealer that does personal quality control on the watches before he sends them. Usually takes a little longer and might be a few more bucks but its worth it in the end. Or buy a second hand one from the sales sections in the forums if one pops up.

dizz