• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you own the gen and the rep?

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I've only been in the rep world for a few years which makes me a newbie. With many of the long standing members on this forum having been around to see the quality of reps increase dramatically, I feel that those of us who got into this hobby recently are being spoilt by the standard of reps available to us.

I myself purchased a Tudor rep only to go onto buying the gen, but couldn't bring myself to sell the rep for whatever reason. I just like to look at both of them sometimes (sad I know) to compare them, knowing you can't see the internals which makes all the difference anyway.

I'd like to know which of you have kept the rep before buying the rep, or vice versa, and why?!

brucobeio

Horology Curious
23/12/21
Brazil
I ended up selling my genuine ones and keeping only the reps. It's sad, but in Brazil, security is getting worse, rendering my gens practically useless. They used to stay at home, locked away in a box.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I ended up selling my genuine ones and keeping only the reps. It's sad, but in Brazil, security is getting worse, rendering my gens practically useless. They used to stay at home, locked away in a box.
Interesting insight, crime is a major concern in some places for sure. Sad times that we can't just wear our watches whenever and wherever!

TheWatchGuy2

Patron
Certified
4/8/22
USA
I bought a gen Omega Seamaster and a few other Omega Gens. Then I got back into the rep game after seeing how far they've come. I was absent for about 10 years. I then bought some rep Omega Seamasters, VSF and ZF and, other than VSF's crown guards, the reps are virtually the same as gen. You really have to know what you are looking for and look at the fine details to distinguish them. The other major tell is that when winding or changing the time you feel the hollowness in the movement of a rep. I am planning on selling the gen seamaster to buy something that hasn't been rep'd. Eyeing a Zenith Chronomaster Sport. Then replacing the black gen seamaster with a black ZF.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I bought a gen Omega Seamaster and a few other Omega Gens. Then I got back into the rep game after seeing how far they've come. I was absent for about 10 years. I then bought some rep Omega Seamasters, VSF and ZF and, other than VSF's crown guards, the reps are virtually the same as gen. You really have to know what you are looking for and look at the fine details to distinguish them. The other major tell is that when winding or changing the time you feel the hollowness in the movement of a rep. I am planning on selling the gen seamaster to buy something that hasn't been rep'd. Eyeing a Zenith Chronomaster Sport. Then replacing the black gen seamaster with a black ZF.
I agree with you on the setting time aspect - I set my Steinhart this morning and it was leagues ahead of my VSF Seamaster. A big tell for me, but from the cosmetic point of view, the Omega Seamasters are incredible.

Reactions: TheWatchGuy2

Rex32

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/5/10
Which would you say is the best quality Seamaster rep? I'm looking at the Seamaster with the white dial and black rubber strap. Thanks!

TheWatchGuy2

Patron
Certified
4/8/22
USA
Which would you say is the best quality Seamaster rep? I'm looking at the Seamaster with the white dial and black rubber strap. Thanks!
So I would go with either VSF or ZF on a Seamaster. I have a VSF in the black and rose gold and a ZF in the green and in the blue. ZF didn't do the RG/Black. ZF has a more gen like blue and I felt the ZF Green to be closer to gen in color as well. Personal opinion on the green. There's a good comparison on the Blue one by Steve from theonewatches. Everyone says that VSF has the better more reliable movement. I don't know that it is that much better. The con to VSF is the crown guards are an instant tell and their hour markers can have a yellow tint to them. ZF has accurate crown guards and doesn't have the yellow tint to the markers. So depends on what you want. I have a black gen. I will replace it with a ZF black and then probably buy a Zenith. The quality of both ZF and VSF are really good I think.

Reactions: btmboards

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I mentioned this in another thread I think, but no, I sold off all the gens I had and I sold off most of my reps too (for different reasons).

100% nowadays newly joined members have no freakin clue how bad it was just a couple of years ago. I've been in watches for a lot longer than I had any sort of online presence and in reps longer than I've been a member here, but it's still a very short timeframe in the grand scheme of things and even Im spoiled now.
I do not see watches as investments, I despise that attitude, so in my current situation, it makes precisely zero sense to own gen watches. Especially with the curated franken selection I've kept from the rep collection.

Reactions: TheWatchGuy2

Cooter Dip

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/6/23
USA
I own a couple Breitling gen's, but no Rolex. Nearly bought a gen 124060, but found the rep community and decided to go this route. I'll eventually probably buy a gen as well.