• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1st Pam - Modded 111 mini review

blass12

Known Member
17/10/15
So I bought a fully modded PAM 111 from Vac, which arrived to my house about 2 hours ago.. WOW, this has exceeded expectations. This is technically my 1st PAM rep (I had a 243 for a day and never wore it due to size), and I am fairly blown away by the quality of this 111. Look and feel are great, although it does wear a bit big, but hey that's Panerai right?

First impressions of different aspects: Coming from someone totally new to Panerai

Dial - So simple, but so elegant. Easy to just stare at and enjoy.

Lume - WOW!!! Super Super Bright! Vac did a great job on it.

Crystal / AR - Clear as day, but I will say the AR does get smudged fairly easily. (Fingerprints, brushed up against clothes ect)

CG / Pin - Looks solid, feels solid, pin closes and opens very nicely.

Case - Looks great, but does seem thicker than I expected.. Again I am not used to PAM sizes.

Caseback / Movement - I am no expert, but I have stared at the caseback and movement for about 10 minutes straight, and I would have no clue it was not gen. Im sure there are obvious rep flaws, but damn they did a nice job.

Rubber strap - Looks really good, but it is a bit stiff, assuming it just needs to be worn and broken in a little bit. Definitely thicker than I am used to on a strap.

Hopefully this movement will keep good time, but I do have a few questions if someone could help..

I am not sure how much or often I should wind this? I have never owned a manual wind watch before..
Also, is there overwind protection on this?

Oh wait, the best part.... onto the pics....
2ff88724eca6ecd0450df893c4fa767b.jpg
949a60afba405d1d28d896633c4dbddf.jpg
8ed968ba310fb21a23ec6a096c612405.jpg
7f914f89003ed68335208526c0afed6b.jpg
db9ac653bab87e05c79569a5f882451e.jpg
adc8150cd9967d6cec9da4ffea0c3760.jpg
65287ee33931963b37a7b480d08df80d.jpg
cea63eab5e2f47fa56c9897e1a26c963.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
Best of luck B.
What did you think about Gunny Straps ?

Dinkis

Certified
23/8/15
Michigan, USA
Nice job on your first Pam. A 111 is a must. Now, on to some strap mania. Try some different makers and your watch will have a whole new flavor.
The rep rubber isn't that great imho. Try a gen rubber and you'll notice the difference straight away.
Never sell that watch!! And just remember...if you find yourself ready for another Pam soon, don't worry we've all been there. Just embrace the desire and go with it [emoji23]
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihs0yz

14/12/15
Malaysia
Should take about 40 winds to fully wind it. There IS a risk of overwinding since this movement doesn't have the protection mechanism autos usually have but don't worry, when it's fully wound you'll know.
Resistance does increase very marginally as you're winding it but just try not to push things when you feel the jam!

blass12

Known Member
17/10/15
Best of luck B.
What did you think about Gunny Straps ?

I like em, Caitlin 2 caught my eye...

Should take about 40 winds to fully wind it. There IS a risk of overwinding since this movement doesn't have the protection mechanism autos usually have but don't worry, when it's fully wound you'll know.
Resistance does increase very marginally as you're winding it but just try not to push things when you feel the jam!

Thank you, that is the info that I was looking for...

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Great!

A lot of members say to check the crown guard screws and even use loctite so it won't fall out. Just a thought

I got loctite a couple of weeks ago for my bracelets and it's great.

Weak strength is 221 or 222

Medium is 242 or 243

It just takes a dab

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

blass12

Known Member
17/10/15
Curious to know (as ive had some minor trouble), what is the best way to move the crown from pos 2 (setting time) back to pos 1 (winding)... Do you do it by hand or use the lever to do it? I seem to be having some minor problems doing it.. When I do it by hand, its hard to reach/handle, and it doesn't always seem to click right back to pos 1, and also I usually wind up changing the time slightly while doing it.. I used the lever the first time and it went perfect, but now with the lever it seems to push but not click back into pos 1, seems to take a slight wind of the crown to get it into position.. Is it me lol? Is it the watch? Or is there a "trick" to it?

Thanks in advance..

jamsie

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/12/12
CONUS
I like how your strap looks. Maker (and link)? :)

The would be from Rob at TheStrapSmith, it was one of only two ever made. The leather came from a gentleman's belt from India and Rob made a strap for him, and had this one up in his clearance section pre-made. I also recommend looking at Ted Su and his outlet section for deals. That strap is literally the only thing I regret selling after hundreds of watches and straps.

jamsie

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/12/12
CONUS
Curious to know (as ive had some minor trouble), what is the best way to move the crown from pos 2 (setting time) back to pos 1 (winding)... Do you do it by hand or use the lever to do it? I seem to be having some minor problems doing it.. When I do it by hand, its hard to reach/handle, and it doesn't always seem to click right back to pos 1, and also I usually wind up changing the time slightly while doing it.. I used the lever the first time and it went perfect, but now with the lever it seems to push but not click back into pos 1, seems to take a slight wind of the crown to get it into position.. Is it me lol? Is it the watch? Or is there a "trick" to it?

Thanks in advance..

I noticed the same with the Pam111 and others, if you push the crown back in via the lever it's a bit cockeyed so I would hold the crown between two fingers and push back in via the lever or just my two fingers.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
The would be from Rob at TheStrapSmith, it was one of only two ever made. The leather came from a gentleman's belt from India and Rob made a strap for him, and had this one up in his clearance section pre-made. I also recommend looking at Ted Su and his outlet section for deals. That strap is literally the only thing I regret selling after hundreds of watches and straps.

Which strap from Ted Su was that? Thanks for the info on the Rob strap although it would be safe to say it's out of stock. :lol:

WatchBearer

Getting To Know The Place
29/12/16

Thanks in advance..

I sometimes have similar trouble getting the crown back into winding position. I found that if you're moved the time backwards just before pressing it in then it doesn't seem to click into place. If you need to move the time back, go past the time you want and then wind it forward a little bit to get to the correct time. It seems to click in easier this way. Or maybe I'm just imagining it? :\

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
Wow nice, a super rep taken to the next level. I'd definitely pick a gen strap, tunnel strap for sure.
My noob v4 lasts 58:34hrs on a full wind, Great power reserve, I just need a good quality crystal.