• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Discolored rose gold link

Cigar_Guy97

Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
Anyone have any idea what this is and what causes this to happen?
I’ve only had the watch since June 20th 2024 and worn it 4 times for half of the day - just cleaned it with warm water tonight and noticed this!

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Unfortunate but pretty normal with the fake gold plated replicas.

The little areas between the lugs and stuff like that are most prone to tarnishing due to the little nooks and crevices trapping moisture and oil and stuff accelerating plating.

Cigar_Guy97

Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
Oh for sure I understand, I figured it would happen at some point, but this has literally only been in my possession for less than 3 weeks lol

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
Rose Gold reps are known for their discoloration and most of the time members here buy them and send them to our forum watch service for replate. I never have any problem with the yellow gold version, although once I had to reject a QC on the GMT DJ because the gold looked almost copper. I am sorry that this happened to you, it seems like just a small amount is discolored, but on the wrist, it will be hard to see- unless you're specifically looking for it. I know once you see it, it's hard to unseen but it's what it is.

With my gold watches whether it's replica or genuine, I don't clean them with warm water, cold or room temperature is good for me. Most of the time- heat tends to remove the chemical shellacs/ protection on the jewelry. I also don't use any kind of special brush on them- a $1 soft toothbrush works for me. If you have the money and would like to clean your watches, I recommend getting a $30 jewelry cleaner machine from Amazon- fill it up with water- put in the bracelet and set a time for 3 minutes or so then you're golden. I also dry my gold watches with a soft cloth to prevent damaging the protection shells on the jewelry.

However, we are so lucky to have people who can provide the plating service case if you're interested- check out our tech/mod sections.

Best of luck, and I am so sorry this happened to you.

Cigar_Guy97

Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
It’s definitely just a small area on the watch luckily! Hardly noticeable on the wrist - I was just curious as to what it was and why it happened.
I greatly appreciate the information guys!