• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Disappointed with my new SMP bracelet :( What should I do?

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I just received a new SMP bracelet from one of our most respected dealers. I was told by the dealer that this bracelet was on pins (like the gen), rather than screws (like most rep SMP bracelets). The dealer's photos were not detailed enough to show whether there were pins or screws in the bracelet, and that's why I specifically asked him this question.

When I opened the box, I immediatley noticed that the bracelet has screw heads in all the links. I thought the dealer (or his dropshipper) accidentally sent me the wrong bracelet. When I brought this to the dealer's attention, he explained that this SMP bracelet is, in fact, on pins. It's just that the heads of the pins look like screw heads!

I have no reason to doubt this, but for me, this defeats the entire purpose of buying a new bracelet. A bracelet with pins that look like screws looks every bit as fake as my original bracelet with screws that look like screws. :)

I honestly feel like I was taken on this deal, especially considering that I asked him a specific question in advance. What should I do? Should I demand a refund?

I should also note that I purchased a $300 watch in the same order.

:(

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Often pins do look like screws, I say let it go. Its a rep bracelet on a rep watch. Try to enjoy it and forget the little things no one is going to notice anyway.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Well JJ69, I really don't think there was any actual deceit involved. You asked for a bracelet with pins not screws and that is what you got. Now do I think there was probably some miscommunication? Absolutely. I think most of us have had a collapse in the English to Chinese translator at some point or another. If you are not interested in keeping it, sell it on the forums. take a small loss. and chalk it up to experience.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
When I brought this to the dealer's attention, he explained that this SMP bracelet is, in fact, on pins. It's just that the heads of the pins look like screw heads!
:lol:

Who was it?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
When you were ordering the bracelet did you explain to your dealer WHY you wanted a bracelet with pins, or did you simply say "I need a new bracelet for my SMP that uses pins instead of screws."?

If you didn't give the why, how is the dealer to know?

I think you can *politely ask* for a refund, but from what I've read here, you have no right to *demand* a refund.

solchitlins

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/07
Hmm that sucks.

So now you have 2 bracelets for your SMP?

or did you need a bracelet any ways?

If you really need a bracelet I would just use it.

How much did it cost? Did you pay extra shipping or was it shipped with the other watch you bought?

I'm sure you could sell it and save someone the shipping cost from Asia.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I agree with reselling it. As mentioned by another member, it can be misunderstanding. You see, if you ask for refund, you need to ship this bracelet to China anyway.... That will take ages too and cost you some money. If I were you, I will resell this bracelet.

Anyway, none of SMP rep bracelet comes with TOP quality. Only solutions; change to rubber diving strap/OEM leather.... or you can go further with genuine bracelet. Please take note that bracelet number is 826 not 825 like on non Chrono SMP. Although they have same lug size but bracelet is not 100% interchangeable. Good luck.

scottyhammond

2/4/07
Are you SURE it has screws? The only reason I ask is that I have a bracelet that does have pins. But they are split down the middle like a cotter pin. From the side with the split end it actually does look like a small slotted screw head.

Just a thought.

crick

1/8/06
scottyhammond said:
Are you SURE it has screws? The only reason I ask is that I have a bracelet that does have pins. But they are split down the middle like a cotter pin. From the side with the split end it actually does look like a small slotted screw head.

Just a thought.

yeah i think what the OP has is what scotty's talking about.

Out of boredom at work, i drew these three up real quick:

i think what u got is number 1. It's technically a pin, but can look like #2 if viewed from the side. what u were probably hoping for is #3. i see lots of #1's in cheaper bracelets. My seiko has #1's and a cheap 50 dollar rep i got came with number 1's. My gen omega and my once owned PO rep came with #3's (pin's and tubes)

screws.jpg

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Suck it up...even the genuine ones look like they have screws in them!!...The split pins just fool some folks like that!!...BTW...having owned several examples of both types...If you need to adjust the bracelet, you'll be GLAD you've got screws!!...Get REAL...Do you REALLY think anybody but YOU gives a rats pattootie how your bracelet is assembled...???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Sheesh. Some harsh words there, guys.

I already have an SMP bracelet with screws in it. To me, screws in an SMP bracelet just screams fake, since Omega never made such a bracelet. I always wanted one with pins, so when the dealer told me his bracelet has "pins, not screws," I bought it. Since this is a replica watch, I am obviously primarily concerned with the appearance of the bracelet. The bracelet appears to have screws, and is therefore useless to me.

I honestly don't know if I was intentionally deceived or not.

As it turns out, the dealer did kindly agree to accept it in return for a full refund. However, as I'd feared, sending it back to China would require me to pay for postage and registered air mail. That would eat up 50% of the value of the watch, so I'll probably just sell it in the sales section. Perhaps there's someone out there in need of a new SMP bracelet who is less fussy than I.

crick

1/8/06
you were not intentionally decieved. if it came with the split type pins then the dealer did his part and sent you a bracelet with pins in it.

of course there could have been more clarification like "oh i like a bracelet with pins like the gen" but heck, even i wouldnt have thought about that if i ordered... and i also have an erking feeling that no matter how elaborate you could've asked for a gen like bracelet, you would probably end up with the same result... and then have the same answer "language barrier" blah blah blah - sorry, i'm pessimistic :)

i suppose another option is to buy some tubes and pins off of ebay and see if those fit. the #3 pins are definitely a pain to change in and out though.

do u have a photo of the pins?

yeah, probably selling it here or any other rep-watch forum would be the quickest way to getting your funds back.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
You should seriously consider buying a gen SMP, its in the affordable range and comes with guranteed happiness, until the next watch you want comes around. :D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Lol.... Go figure:

Genuine brand new, Omega factory price of SS bracelet no 826: $470.

Second hand mint Omega chrono with SS bracelet on it: $1500, Go figure! Bracelet cost 1/3 of the watch. :lol: Might as well get a complete watch.

@crick: I really love your drawings.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Chiming in late to the party here with my support for Crick's idea of putting pins in. If it really bothers you that much keep an eye out on the bay and pick one up for 250-400, they are resell-able and they will not depreciate when maintained.

Signed,

Obsessed SMP Modder.

rcanglin

Looking Around
24/4/07
post or PM me some pics of the bracelet...I don't like the too-flat, stair-stepped bracelet on my SMP. The individual link sections and overall bracelet profile are missing the gentle curvature of the gen.
flatsmpbraceletcopy.jpg

crick

1/8/06
rcanglin said:
...nice curves on the gen.
braceletcompare.jpg

yeah all rep bracelet suffers from that lack of curvature. and the stepping? It's the end links.

i wonder if you switch out to genuine endlinks if that would solve the problem?

infinitime

29/6/06
Can you please tell me how much you paid for the bracelet? I may be interested in taking it off your hands?