• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Differences between Seamaster GMT white (real vs rep)

omnadren250

Horology Curious
12/6/07
I've owned a couple of genuine Seamaster GMT's in the past (both black and white dials) but I sold both of them a few years ago.

I'm going to have a look at a white dial GMT tomorrow from a private seller who claims the watch is real. He bought it "grey market" so it has no boxes or papers (Red Omega Credit cards).

I know the replicas these days are very high quality and hard to tell the difference between genuine and replica.

Can anybody please tell me some of the things to look out for on the white dial Omega Seamaster GMT?

I'll have a look for the red wax dot on the back, but that can wear off with normal use.

Are there any serial #'s on the back lug on the fakes that are often used?

Anything on the dial that will be a tell-tale sign?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
JD

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well you have to be really careful. My suggestion is look for the crown and overal dial printing. If you have handled many genuine Omega you will know how smooth the crown is.

carnut

31/3/07
You will probably want to open up the back and have a look at the movement.

glitch

Known Member
20/3/06
GMT on dial is crisper on the gen. lume color is also different. however, from your post, it seems like you do not have a good starting (comparison) point. Best would be to discuss with the seller and offer to pay an AD to verify authenticity. if authentic, buy it at good price. if it's rep, he'd back down b/c he knows the AD will catch him.

scottyhammond

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/07
The most obvious "tell" for me is the Helium Escape Valve - Genuine white dials do not have one.

Most of the reps I have seen have the valve, presumably because the rep manufacturers are using a standard SMP case to save cost.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Om,

Bring some silicon grease and case back opener and crack that sucker open. Or as others have suggested bring it to an AD. Faux's do have serial numbers on the lugs. Check the braclet for the correct part number.

Now, since you have owned a couple I am sure you will be able to pick out the fake. I mean to say that once you own a gen, you just know. If it is a fake, offer a $100.00 for the asian or 150.00 for an ETA. :D

avitt

23/4/06
Here are some key differences between the white rep, and the gen:

• The crown guard on the rep is cutout in the middle, like the normal SMP. On the gen, the CG is filled in more.
  • The rep case is polished. The gen case is brushed all over.
  • The lume on the rep is yellowish. On the gen, it is bright white.
  • The hands are generally too short on the rep
  • If is has a Speedmaster style bracelet, the end links are one piece on the rep. On the gen, the end links are made up of multiple pieces

In short, you will never find a rep that looks like this:

wgmt1.jpg

...You can see more excellent pictures here.

pacs man

Known Member
22/4/07
All you need to do is turn out the light. Real GMTs throw off so much light you can read by them.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
man even if u buy new @ grey market, u get box and papers.