• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Difference between SA3230 & VR3230

Tommy’S

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/7/22
Italy
Which are the main differences between those two movement SA3230 VR3230, how could i verify which is SA and which is VR, i cant find differences, any help pleaseeee!!!
Which movement is this one showed?

Reactions: Omerrrr

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
One takes gen parts and is a true clone (vr) the other is a movement that is based on the gen and is an alright replica of a gen movement.
Doesn't take any gen parts, replacement parts are very hard to source as no parts from gen or vr will fit

Reactions: Tommy’S

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The VR movement is the better option between the two by far. It’s not a true 3230 clone, more of a well decorated 3130 clone. The easy way to tell the SA3230 from the VR3230 is that the vr3230 has actual ball bearings as the rotor pivot, and the vr3230 has its regulation arm and beat correction arm facing inwards (not outwards like the SA) and the vr3230 has a fake hairspring stud facing outwards.

Reactions: funkeymonkey

Tommy’S

Banned
23/7/22
Italy
One takes gen parts and is a true clone (vr) the other is a movement that is based on the gen and is an alright replica of a gen movement.
Doesn't take any gen parts, replacement parts are very hard to source as no parts from gen or vr will fit
Thank you very much mate, do you even know How can i undestand if the one on the photo is a VR or a SA? Thanks again

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Thank you very much mate, do you even know How can i undestand if the one on the photo is a VR or a SA? Thanks again
The finish is rougher in sa movements.

But @KJ2020 is one of the experts here. He would be able to tell you more.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Here’s a post I wrote on Reddit a few months ago that will help you recognize all the different Rolex clone movements.

Here’s a pic of a vs3235 to help you identify the parts to keep your eye on:

Red: real ball bearings on rotor pivot
Blue: regulator arm points outwards
Green: beat adjuster arm points outwards.
Not pictured: fake beat adjust or arm that’s seen on vr323X movements that points outwards while true beat adjuster arm points inwards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/wxu9vm

Tommy’S

Banned
23/7/22
Italy
Here’s a post I wrote on Reddit a few months ago that will help you recognize all the different Rolex clone movements.

Here’s a pic of a vs3235 to help you identify the parts to keep your eye on:

Red: real ball bearings on rotor pivot
Blue: regulator arm points outwards
Green: beat adjuster arm points outwards.
Not pictured: fake beat adjust or arm that’s seen on vr323X movements that points outwards while true beat adjuster arm points inwards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/wxu9vm
Thanks mate!!!
Very helpfull, love those kind of reply, i can spot that my QC with VR3230 is definitely a SA3230, i cant see the real ball bearing, Hopefully i ask for Movement Photos so i can reject QC.
Thanks again

Reactions: dogwood

Santos78

Looking Around
6/11/23
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have little experience in this hobby at the moment, I would like your advice to understand if it is possible to use the vr3230 movement to replace the 2813 that equips my explorer 1 and what modifications should I make for correct assembly??

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have little experience in this hobby at the moment, I would like your advice to understand if it is possible to use the vr3230 movement to replace the 2813 that equips my explorer 1 and what modifications should I make for correct assembly??
It’s potentially possible. But likely impractical. The dial feet would need to be clipped. The hands may not fit the new movement. The stem height is likely wrong. The movements are different diameters so you’ll need a custom spacer ring. It would be a labour of love if you’re a watchmaker and can do the work yourself. If you need to pay someone else to do it, it’d be cheaper to buy a new explorer 1 with a vr3230 stock.

Reactions: Santos78

Santos78

Looking Around
6/11/23
È potenzialmente possibile. Ma probabilmente poco pratico. I piedini del quadrante dovrebbero essere tagliati. La lancetta potrebbe non adattarsi al nuovo movimento. Probabilmente l'altezza dello stelo è sbagliata. I movimenti hanno diametri diversi quindi avrai bisogno di un anello distanziale personalizzato. Sarebbe un lavoro d'amore se fossi un orologioio e potessi fare il lavoro da solo. Se devi pagare qualcun altro per farlo, sarebbe più economico acquistare un nuovo Explorer 1 con uno stock vr3230.
Grazie per il chiarimento, è il mio primo rep che compro e ho contattato alcuni tds, che non mi hanno risposto, che non hanno spedito nel mio paese, e altri problemi, quindi mi sono arrangiato e ho preso due seiko per imparare comprando i pezzi su aliexpres poi, come ho potuto, ho acquistato il rappresentante. il rep dovrebbe arrivare entro 10/15 giorni, appena arriva dovrò controllare tutto quello che mi avete detto, spero si possa sostituire con il vr3230 senza troppe complicazioni, ma posso convivere anche con un 2824, ma no con un 2813!!

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Grazie per il chiarimento, è il mio primo rep che compro e ho contattato alcuni tds, che non mi hanno risposto, che non hanno spedito nel mio paese, e altri problemi, quindi mi sono arrangiato e ho preso due seiko per imparare comprando i pezzi su aliexpres poi, come ho potuto, ho acquistato il rappresentante. il rep dovrebbe arrivare entro 10/15 giorni, appena arriva dovrò controllare tutto quello che mi avete detto, spero si possa sostituire con il vr3230 senza troppe complicazioni, ma posso convivere anche con un 2824, ma no con un 2813!!

Ok, then good luck when your parts arrive. I agree the 2824 is much preferable to the 2813.

Also, please note: this forum is in English (other than the specific sub forums). So please translate your replies to English before you hit submit.

Reactions: Santos78 and RDRoss

Santos78

Looking Around
6/11/23
Ok, then good luck when your parts arrive. I agree the 2824 is much preferable to the 2813.

Also, please note: this forum is in English (other than the specific sub forums). So please translate your replies to English before you hit submit.
I'm sorry, he translated the page for me and I didn't think he was sending the message in Italian... you're absolutely right, I need to be more careful about this

Reactions: dogwood