• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diamonds in Ice Watches

Brunswick

Known Member
28/6/19
Can any members confirm what stones/glass is being used for ice watches eg ZF Vanguard or the bling daytonas from BTF or CF? Is it CZ/mossanite /something else?

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Depends on who you get it from.
Run-of-the-mill rep will have either glass or CZ/moissanite. Something from a modder (that you pay for), will have the real thing (albeit being lab grown - which doesn't matter btw)
I despise iced out watches, but if you love them, I'd strongly advise you to get the modded version, as the cost of "real" diamonds is negligible compared to the difference in look and feel of the finished product.

Harruchi

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
20/3/14
Singapore
Most reps still use CZ but Clean has started using moissanite on some of their daytona's and datejusts. If you see a particular model you like but it uses CZ instead get in touch with a TD I'm sure they can get the factory to use moissanite instead of CZ but of course the price increases.

Reactions: Dave2302

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Depends on who you get it from.
Run-of-the-mill rep will have either glass or CZ/moissanite. Something from a modder (that you pay for), will have the real thing (albeit being lab grown - which doesn't matter btw)
I despise iced out watches, but if you love them, I'd strongly advise you to get the modded version, as the cost of "real" diamonds is negligible compared to the difference in look and feel of the finished product.
Some (rare) watches has also a version with Real Diamonds (with Certificate ) , like this Lady Royal Oak .

I despise iced out watches (like Rappers ones) but i always liked a tiny strip of diamonds, especially on Woman watches...and the difference is Real.

For a casual use, a CZ/moissanite is more than fine...but for larger Diamond areas (like for example the entire bezel) the difference is tangible.

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
For a casual use, a CZ/moissanite is more than fine...but for larger Diamond areas (like for example the entire bezel) the difference is tangible

So, you are saying that if you want a "diamond bezel" on say a Daytona (i.e. 36 diamonds in baguette) , go for industrial diamonds rather than moissanites, even though it costs more because the difference is noticeable? Or, are you saying moissanites are almost as good as industrial and cost less and will be fine on a bezel? THANKS!!

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
So, you are saying that if you want a "diamond bezel" on say a Daytona (i.e. 36 diamonds in baguette) , go for industrial diamonds rather than rmoissanites, even though it costs more because the difference is noticeable? Or, are you saying moissanites are almost as good as industrial and cost less and will be fine on a bezel? THANKS!!
Well,

for me the difference is between CZ (Cubic Zirconia) and Real Diamonds.

I alway wandered if anybody has ever bought some 'Real Diamonds ' Rep to see the difference, for example let's take the Lady Royal Oak Offshore, both versions are from RXW Factory.

This has CZ (Cubic Zirconia ) and costs 408 $

This has Real Diamonds with Certificate and costs 808 $

IS the difference tangible ? IS the cost worth it ?

I'm speaking of 'out of the box ' replicas, in aftermarket you can do basically what you want with Mlissanite, CZ, Diamonds, and every kind of synhethic or natural stones.....

CZ

dsc_0892_6.jpg

Real Diamonds

dsc_8083_4.jpg

CZ

dsc_0889_-_-_.jpg

Real Diamonds

dsc_8080_-_-_3__1.jpg

I choose this watch for comparison since i despise the ALL Iced Out watches, i love a Diamond Baguette or such, but no Full Bling, i absolutely reject it :sick::poop:🤮

watchfreak812

Precision Seeker
Certified
25/6/23
UK
From my experience, 99.9% of the time it is glass or CZ / moissanite. You could invest in something more precious via a modder route, but it starts raising the price.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
Great post, I agree with what you say (y)

It's actually very helpful to me, (I think) since my next purchase will be a mid Q Daytona. Like you I am not a fan of Blingy shite, but on a rep, like a ladies or a Daytona, then yeah a few well placed "Diabics" add to the beauty of the piece.

The problem I have is I would want to see the 2 in hand before paying a significant extra for Diamonds versus Cubics, and, yeah right, unless I go on an epic voyage that is never gonna happen.

My wife has a 20 year old rep Pearlmaster 80299 like this one, with proper cubics, (my pic is not the actual watch I robbed it off an internetamabob pic) :D
It was a well made rep which these days we would call mid range, I'd expect to pay circa £4-500 these dayz ;)

Now, your photos are very good quality, way better than my measly efforts, but the shade differences of Bezel and Dial etc I am assuming are different lighting, different location etc etc .............

So, based upon that last sentence I would honestly have to see both in hand, viewing by naked eye, rather than my trusty macro headset, although macro not really necessary as afaik no one walks around with a headset on lol .............

So what I have gone round the houses to say is, me personally would go for Cubic over Diamonds every time, because if I'm buying at sensible rep prices IRL no one can spot the difference between them ;)

Feel free to flame me guys, I'm relatively new here, but not to collecting, I did used to buy a lot and sell some reps back in my 40's (20 ish year ago), and IMHO a good quality rep is just that :)

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
For a casual use, a CZ/moissanite is more than fine...but for larger Diamond areas (like for example the entire bezel) the difference is tangible

So, you are saying that if you want a "diamond bezel" on say a Daytona (i.e. 36 diamonds in baguette) , go for industrial diamonds rather than moissanites, even though it costs more because the difference is noticeable? Or, are you saying moissanites are almost as good as industrial and cost less and will be fine on a bezel? THANKS!!
I may be wrong, (often am :ROFLMAO: ) but I read that as nicer to the touch and / or more value in monetary terms ;)

HTH

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
So, from the above,, I can assume that CZ are AROUND $US 400 and real diamonds are around double that (in this case $US800ish). For me personally, I would pay the $US800 simply because they are "real diamonds".

But as others have said it's REAL hard to tell the visual difference from photos (probably taken in different light).

I was hoping someone might have said something like "I've used both and definitely real is better - you can (fairly) easily see/feel the difference between Mossainite Verses CZ Verses Real" - hopefully someone can chip in?

Another thing, seeing these watches are so "blingy" why doesn't anyone use a Jubilee bracelet?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
From my experience, 99.9% of the time it is glass or CZ / moissanite. You could invest in something more precious via a modder route, but it starts raising the price.

From my experience, 99.9% of the time post whoring is a waste of your time. Your post count just ends up getting reset to zero and everyone thinks you're a dick.

Not worth it in my NSHFO.

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

Greeneyes88

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
Certified
9/8/23
us
CZ's cheapest you see a lot of these
Moissanites cost a bit more however they will test positive on most diamond testers
Lab Grown Diamonds the cream of the crop these cost much more however they are the same as "Nature Diamond" same makeup just grown in a controlled laboratory instead of nature oh and they cost about 75% less than a Nature Diamond