• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DG3804 . Second hand always stops at the same position.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
Hello everyone,

I just got a GMT 1675 build back from a modder with a DG3804 movement inside.

The watch was not working due to second and minute hands touching themselves according to the modder.

He gave the watch back a few days ago and told me it tested it for 24 hours, the watch ran fine.

However, despite wearing the watch and winding the movement, the watch keeps stopping again, again and again. I have to shake the watch every now and then to make it run again.

Over a single hour, the watch is losing approximately 10 minutes.

What I found really strange is that the second hand runs normally but will slow down and stop every time at the 35-36 seconds mark on the dial.

What do you think? Is that a coincidence or is there a specific issue I should be aware of?

Thank you very much.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I had a lmpo that did this, it was the second hand touching the crystal at the same point, like yours strangely not every time but randomly, when it stops try gently tapping the crystal with your finger nail and see if it starts again

Reactions: Plantagenet

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
I had a lmpo that did this, it was the second hand touching the crystal at the same point, like yours strangely not every time but randomly, when it stops try gently tapping the crystal with your finger nail and see if it starts again

Hi mate. Thanks a lot for chiming in.

This time it stopped at the 50 seconds mark. I followed what you did, tapping the Plexiglas and it started again.

Is this an easy fix or should I send it back to the modder?

Last edited:

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
But in all honestly, I am not even sure it is the cause. This domed Plexiglas looks like it is way higher than the second hand.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
But in all honestly, I am not even sure it is the cause. This domed Plexiglas looks like it is way higher than the second hand.

It’s hard to tell visually the crystals are a lot thicker than they look, the only real way of knowing is to remove the movement and see if the second hand is raised up and not parallel with the dial, or maybe just loosen the movement a bit and try it then, if in doubt take a few videos as proof and send it back

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
Thank you, Spitfire63. I will look into that.
It is the first time I'm dealing with a dg3804 movement, I thought the movement was at fault but if its just the hand at least I don't need to buy and wait for a new dg. :)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's the second hand touching the crystal.

The DG3804B has a tall and stack, the second can easily touch the crystal if the hands aren't installed correctly.

Mbari

7/1/13
Check the movement spacer and make sure the spacer and movement are on the same plane. I have had this happen a few times and it's always been the movement spacer. I don't know why it's so intermittent. Hope someone more experienced can chime in.

Also in my case, it's been a Viet or milk case with eta adapter using a dg movement. Hope it helps a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
tripdog Mbari thank you gentlemen, I will report back when this is solved :)
I was also advised that a small gasket might raise the crystal just a little bit to fix the problem (no crystal gasket currently)

Last edited:

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
I removed the crystal and put the watch to test under a glass.

So far it is running fine. Thanks a lot everyone for your input!