• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Defective Bezel on Planet Ocean: My First Buy, Go Figure!

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
Hello All,

I just recieved a new Omega POU replica in the mail today from China. My first replica (newbie). I found this particular online store through some research on the web for credible suppliers for watches.

The item really is beautiful and very realistic...other than a fairly large oversight on the part of where it was manufactured. The rotating bezel is defective - I'd attach a pic but don't know how on this forum. Basically, the arrow on the white insert (zero position) is noticeably crooked/off-center and wasn't printed properly. The round white insert breaks through the right hand edge/line of the zero position arrow.

Could someone give me some advice in this situation? I did send a message to the seller concerning the problem earlier today asking for a resolution.

1. How does a (hopefully, credible) online store normally address these issues? Send a new watch and, if so, who pays shipping costs? Would he simply send new parts to replace the defective ones?

2. If he does send parts, what's involved in replacing the rotating bezel? Is this something I'd be able to handle myself (I am somewhat technically skilled as I work in the engineering field)? I'm a bit shy about taking it to a jeweler for a repair as they might spot it as a fake.

3. Any other good advice? I'm all ears.

Please advise and thanks a bunch!

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
what color bezel?
There are aftermarket ones..

Harley357

1/9/08
gorilla1969 said:
The rotating bezel is defective - I'd attach a pic but don't know how on this forum.

You can upload a picture to a free photo hosting site like photo bucket or similar and then post a link to it.

Harley357

1/9/08
I fixed the link for you, so it shows here. Someone will chime in on what to to. If it was mine (and assuming everything else is perfect) I would look for a replacement bezel insert.I have only sent one watch back so far and that was for a defective movement.
DEFECT.jpg

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Check out this ebay item number. It is a possible source for a replacement insert. There are others. Just do a search.

item # 310084059891

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
Puretime was the supplier.
I heard (mostly) good things about them and they have a well-constructed website so I figured they were worth a try.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
I'd send him an e-mail with your photo as an attatchment and tell him you're not happy...mentioning you're a forum member won't harm your chances of an amicable resolution either... :wink:

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
As with most people, the band was a bit long so I took it to a place where I thought it would be a bit more discrete to adjust other than an actual dealer or established jewelry store. I seriously considered purchasing a inexpensive kit on Ebay to adjust it myself but heard some horror stories about assorted difficulties on this forum about removal of the pins. I knew a capable guy at - and don't freak - a fleamarket locally so I figured I give him a try to be safe.

Glad I did for my sake - took the poor guy...and his father (a jeweler all his life)...about 45 minutes to do it with a full set of professional tools. I almost felt a bit guilty as I watched firsthand their ordeal. To my initial dismay, I became bit alarmed when he stated that he personally owned a real 007 series Seamaster at home and that he was an huge enthusiast (and owner) of higher-end watches such as Omega and Rolex. Even with the defective, offset 'pearl' marker, he was completely fooled by the watch. He complimented on how nice a watch it was several times and how lucky I was. Later, he got a bit preturbed as the band wasn't coming apart (or coming back together) quite as he expected, not to mention some of the pins bent fairly easily (as the materials were likely not as high grade as on a real Omega). At that point, I smelled a hint of confusion and borderline suspicion from him as some of the expected Omega tolerances and quality were absent.

All-in-all, it did make me feel really good about my purchase other than the major oversight on the bezel by the seller.

With my original problem, I've tried contacting the seller through the website and a private email I got through this forum but haven't heard anything for three days so far. I volunteered to replace the bezel myself if he'd simply send me the part alone. I'd hate to buy a new one on Ebay since they sell for around 45 to 50 USD (with shipping included) which is about 20%+ the price I paid for the entire watch. I will if I need to but what a bummer. If anybody knows a good source for high quality 45mm bezels for an orange OPU at a nice price, please let me know.

Thanks all!

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
UPDATE: Defective Bezel on PO: My First Buy, Go Figure!

Well, I got a reply today from China on the defective bezel. Below is their response, verbatim...
"your UPO is in very good shape, most of other UPO have worse pearls than you have. And as the pearl is now attaching to the bezel itself but not the bezel insert so this cannot be repaired by yourself. Even you send it back and the factory will not fix this for me because most of the bezels are worse than this"

I did reply firmly, but nicely, that I had a hard time believing that a watch costing well over $200 made in China should have such defects. I work in manufacturing for a living and we own a company in China who makes part for us here in the U.S. $200+ USD equals a hell of a lot of money over there. I also commented that I've seen several pics of this watch on the forums and the bezel looked much nicer. I don't expect the seller to help at this point.

For your guys' experience, is what he said about repairing this bezel true? I was under the impression that it could be popped off with a fine-bladed knife or razor blade and then replaced. Can some confirm or deny this comment? I wanted to purchase a replacement bezel on Ebay but need someone who's familiar with these watches give me some advice.

Thanks.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I would ask Angus for a new insert. If the others are that far off they should be offering a 20.00 insert for free IMO.

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
About his comment regarding bezel replacement, is it easily replaceable or is the part, as he stated, not worth attempting on the newer designs?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I haven't been successful doing this without scratching the watch. Others have reported success. They scotch tape the watch and use a case back opener to pry off the bezel or a razor to get off the insert. I have also heard if you heat it the adhesive will give and insert will be free.

My method is to take off the bezel completely and replace it while it's off. I purchased a 350.00 tool to do this. I can help you if you want me to remove it for you. At your risk. Some bezels are difficult to remove if not impossible. I have never had a PO or UPO that gave me any trouble. Send me a PM if you want help.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
i wouldnt send it back.. it will cost you more to ship it than to fix it yourself.

Get a new insert as suggested above and follow the tutorials here on the forum on how to replace the insert. Its not very difficult and makes for a fun project.

Just use the search function and you will find everything you need.

dizz

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
You guys have been great.

I read in another post that aftermarket bezels will not fit the 45mm UPO unless they are an actual replica part.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Ebay offers a U.S. supplied bezel which is about $40-$50 and there are Chinese supplied ones listed which are much, much cheaper. Does anyone know if the Chinese-made will fit better since they are a knock-off? At about a price of $1, I also worry about the quality of the China-made ones.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The ones on ebay are all chinese. Wholesale outlet is a big seller of aftermarket bezel inserts, Clark is another. They say swiss quality but they are not comparable to the gen. So I would go with the least expensive and what looks best from the photos.

gorilla1969

Horology Curious
19/11/08
R2D2, if your gracious offer still stands, I might just take you up on your offer of helping with your special tool (and having some experience with this) - that is, if I can't get it apart without feeling that damage might occur.

As I looked closer at the post describing the bezel removal, it does look like I can simply remove the bezel insert without fussing with the bezel itself - maybe with a fine x-acto knife or similar. It appears be be simply glued (and not usually very good according to others) to be bezel. Since the insert is what is to be replaced, it really doesn't matter it it becomes damaged/scratched in the removal process.

Carefully pry off the insert only, apply some quality adheseive, and re-attach a new piece...?