• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ANOTHER mass shooting in the US !

scropper

Known Member
30/10/07
The interessting thing here is :
Guns are not needed to make a normal weeks end meet for most familys. You mention car enthusiasts, well car enthusiasts are the smallest group of car owners. Most folks have a car and use it for a pretty decent cause. Guns are really not that needed in a house hold if you think about it.

I agree to what's being said about drug needs and poverty being a major reason for crazy shootings, but I hardly think it's a good decision to throw accassable guns in the cocktail. Kindda like, drunk driving kills, but is it a good idea to walk in on a huge pissup party and shout "cmon guys, drag racing outside, we hired muscle cars and warmed 'em up already, so let's see who's a sissy" - especially in a country where the gap between being well of. E.g having medical insurance etc., and those who have 4 siplings and a drunk mom who works the night shift in walmart.
Honestly I would trust an average afgani kid with a gun more , than a youngster from the US who also has no future, but unlike the afgan kid, the Yank kid has to have his nose rubbed in it every day....

Hard to see where to start working.

Try this thought:
Does anyone think that the amount of folks killed with guns would increase if there were some more restricted rules for fire arms?
I know it's hard for a euro guy to sit here and judge yankee culture,- my views would probably have been different ( marginally) if I had been raised with us gun laws, but still the fact remains, even if these things hsppen in europe too, it doesnt happen as often.

+ a lot

(And if it helps, he sounds American when he speaks...)

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Some Americans demonize European issues. Like gun control, and Healthcare. Why can't we learn from others who have achieved better results. Americans are arrogant pricks. Guess what ? We are not the best country in the world. We are not the smartest. There is a lot we can learn from others.

sgtguk

Known Member
8/7/12
Not sure when this thread went way off the topic that matters but..........guns don't kill people........people do...

My heart goes out to all the families of those children that have been taken from them, they must be devastated.

Mekki

Fake Lover
Supporter
Certified
6/8/07
EU
I think it's a mix from social marginalization + misuses of pills. The use of pharmaceutical stuff is out of control in the USA! That's normal for a country with the motivation: winner takes all....

Gesendet von meinem X10S mit Tapatalk 2

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
Not sure when this thread went way off the topic that matters but..........guns don't kill people........people do...

My heart goes out to all the families of those children that have been taken from them, they must be devastated.

True, what matters is to think about the familys who have lost , but it' hardly irrelevant to reflect on what causes this.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that guns and people are relying on each other in order to preform a gun murder. That line, guns dont kill... The saying is so worn out, it's definately a saying composed by people who are childishly fixated on how potential gun regulation would inflict on their own personal leisure weekend tin can shootings, in the weekends.
Look at the broader perspective.
People dont fly, aeroplanes do,..???? WTF. I call BS on that. Since planes started flying between the continents, More people are taking a trip abroad, now is that because people make the plane fly or because the plane enables us to, or is it because people have more money than they did in the '30's? What to do...mmmmmm lets make everyone poor again? Lets exterminate the people that fly in them? - cus surely, if we just grounded planes, then I'm sure a lot more people would fly around......
Pretty obvious what would work.....

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
but without guns it would be incredibly more difficult.

Maybe when a few morons started goating :goat: for guns in a thread dealing with 28 kids shot dead?

I dont care where your heart goes. I doubt it goes anywhere if you start your post with a gun commercial.
Will you tards stop that crap?
IT HURTS.
There are many weapon related threads, go post there about your cool AK47.
Or in Denver if you prefer.
The cursed day your son would gets a 10c bullet in his brain maybe you'd change your mind.
He sure would

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
I remain determined not to enter the gun law debate, I simply don't know enough about it.

What I do know, for cast iron certain, is that the right to bear arms did nothing to stop those children from being defenseless against an armed lunatic.

I hope Obama remembers his words about change being needed after the emotion has died down a little, because if change doesn't come, these events will become even more regular in the coming years - and that is just too awful a prospect.

maddpappa

14/11/12
We have to ask ourselves why is it safer for or kids to go to airports and courthouses but not their own school. There should be metal detectors and security at every school. Things have to change. Instead of all the military spending, lets use that money to upgrade our schools. I made sure to hold my boy when I got home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
There are those in the USA who are convinced the government would love to see us unarmed, broke, and on some sort of Prozac so the elitists could more easily control the every day citizens lives....would they, the government, stoop so low as to take advantage of a horrible tragedy like what happened here, to advance their agenda to disarm the population and reverse our right to ARM ourselves? :thinking:

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Here we go again... Always out of place.
You have the right to do as you please, but defining yourself a "gun enthusiast" in the same thread dealing with 28 persons shot dead is a total lack of respect for the victims.

Social problems exist in every country on this planet, but killing 28 human beings mostly children, in 2 minutes using a knife or a baseball bat is technically impossible. Very easy using a gun apparently.
Your concept of liberty gives anybody the right to buy an AK47 and use it, even if he is a criminal.
(It sounds silly to me, why not having strict limits? It doesnt change the right to, it only betters security)
However those families have no equal liberty to have children, if they can be slaughtered so easily, just because guns are as available as chewing gum. For everybody.
Liberty... such a complicated word. So often misused.
Any idea what is there on the margin of that liberty?
Other people. People who might have lived and loved in a way we will never know.
What's the plan? Giving every 7 y.o. kid an uzi of his own, so he can defend himself?
Opinions apparently may diverge...
I guess the word "misguided" was right, but aimed wrong.

In the meantime, using the expression "gun enthusiast" in this particular thread is at least awkward. We can never be sure who's reading, it might sound horribly painful for somebody. It reminds me of NRA holding a meeting in Denver after Columbine disaster. Go somewhere else, nobody will object.
No, some people LOVE to be out of order.
There are countless threads dealing with weapons in here, there is a proper section even. Can't say we are against.
This thread might just happen not to be the right place. That's all.

+1
Neither do I Col.
The problem involves sales %, more than liberty.

Once again, RWI blessings for the families involved.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I was telling you where I was coming from, as someone who actually advocates some degree of gun control but is also familiar with the concerns that legitimate gu moaners have. Nothing I said was disrespectful, but if you're serious about combatting gun violence then you have to be able to have a serious conversation about it, and not just shout at people. It's ironic, because the left has (appropriately) attack the right wing media for saying it's never the time to talk about gun control, and especially not in the wake of a tragedy. But apparently even then it's only okay to talk about it if your position is wholesale condemnation of guns and gun culture.

The attitudes on the left are as much to blame for the lack of progress on gun control as those on the right. If liberals continue to be largely uninformed, condescending and dismissive about the half of the country who own guns, no one is gonna listen to them.

But what is the solution? What piece of legislation would prevent something like this? We had an assault weapons ban, and Columbine happened. Countries like Japan and China have double digit death tolls in knife attacks. Mass shootings have happened in European countries where guns are highly restricted. Sensible responses please, I live in this country and am genuinely interested in how we can stop things like this from happening.

Maybe when a few morons started goating :goat: for guns in a thread dealing with 28 kids shot dead?

I dont care where your heart goes. I doubt it goes anywhere if you start your post with a gun commercial.
Will you tards stop that crap?

The cursed day your son would gets a 10c bullet in his brain maybe you'd change your mind.
He sure would

This is far more insensitive and unhelpful than me describing myself as a gun enthusiast.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I agree with JJ that this thread is not the place to lobby for a well-armed citizenry.

In fact, the "guns don't kill people" speech is vacuous in any discussion. Please stop.

As long as both side are contentious and defiant (like the NRA leadership; can't name anybody on the other side, sorry) only the firearm manufacturers will benefit greatly.

How about just drop it and we pray for and support the families in Sandy Hook Conneticut? There is untold amounts of grief there.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
As a man with a 3 year old who is his meaning for living now I cannot image how these poor people are feeling, my heart goes cold at the very thought of how they are feeling right now.

I will say this, this utter crap about guns don't kill people people do is complete an utter garbage and means zero. If people did not have guns they could not use them to kill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

The facts and figures in this article are extremely sobering reading and shows very clearly that the USA is an outlier in gun death statistics.

If you cant see from these there is a serious issue in the US you need your head looked at...

There is hope though it actually seems you country may be going down, but I would not pat yourself on the back just yet, your still way out in front by a large margin.

Once again my heart goes out to yet another set of parents who will never see their loved ones again because some nut went berserk.

D

d4m.test

Such a sad and unbelievable story. It's inevitable that the conversation drifts (or sprints) to gun control.

I'm happy for gun control in Canada being the way it is, and with programs that reward people for turning in illegal guns with no penalty. I have no desire to own a gun right now.

But if I lived in the US, I'd want a gun. Maybe it's just propaganda, but even without hearing of these shootings, I still wouldn't feel safe. The US doesn't need gun control right now, they need gun control 50 years ago. I can sympathize with the redneck low IQ jerry springer types that you see on TV talking about wanting a gun for their own protection. The US seems like a scary developing country to me now.

I'm still young(ish) and just getting serious about having kids, and this news had my mind running circles with dozens of different thoughts and opinions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JaeRSr.

20/2/12
I just saw a video of the parents who lost children shortly after they were given the horrible news. It will haunt me for the rest of my life honestly.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S3!

pobjednik

27/6/10
Shit :( this is just terrible and i can't emagine what those perents must be going true right now! I lost my son for 2 hours ( found him safe and sound ) two weeks ago and i wanted to kill my self every second of that 2 hour time!
Guns are for the police, army and criminals! No one should own one for no reason and i meen no reason att all! I had a gun when i was younger and i know that just by knowing you have one you become a different person in a bad way! So i gave my gun to the police ( i got it in the war in Croatia ).

rud19

26/5/12
I'm so far from the US. I have two 2 kids, 4 years and 18mo old. I can't feel the pain of the parents who lost their children, but my heart cries for them.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
4751f84ee1a37d745e3b726b2bedeede.jpg

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
The gun lobby doesn't want to hear your facts.

I'm not saying that additional gun control isn't justified, but the picture above makes a pretty weak argument for it. There are myriad differences between the US and those countries that contribute to violent crime and gun policy is only one. But even if it is a significant one, what is the solution? What piece of legislation could make a meaningful difference?