• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona build from Titanium

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Hi Everybody,

I finally decided to build my ultimate grail vintage daytona but I need your help. I might be biting off more than I can chew but I wanted to do a titanium case. It seems like it's possible as with some compromises. The crown, caseback and possibly the pushers might have to be steel due to limitations unless the case is redesigned. I will probably have to use a nato strap as to make the bracelet in titanium would be tricky. What I do need thought is either a gen spec case for reference or measurements if anyone has them or recommend who sells them so that I can mockup the case.

I've been out of the game for a while so I'm not sure where to begin to look for a seller anymore as most of the ones I have tried are no longer in business. I'm also looking for a someone who sells dials, hands and crowns so that this build can come together nicely. The last piece of the puzzle will be the movement which im aiming for a Valjoux 72. I'm hoping someone here has one they are willing to part with otherwise I need to shop around.

If I'm able to get this up and running I will post progress pics. If the thread goes dead its because I got no where lol.

Reactions: Hec and Karbon74

1675lover

23/7/22
0d79cee7543b80dfaf8e559a1b9c3420.jpg

Reactions: Mercedesslr

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
This should be awesome! Kuared does GEN-spec cases and also builds complete V72 watches, using his own dials, etc. He would be a good place to start! Search for him on Instagram!

Reactions: Mercedesslr

R2L

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Interesting project. But before you go down the rabbit hole of having a case manufactured from TI, have you checked out the possibility of getting a TI PVD coating for a regular SS case? Not sure where you are located but this company is in EU/TR that may be able to help:

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
Interesting project. But before you go down the rabbit hole of having a case manufactured from TI, have you checked out the possibility of getting a TI PVD coating for a regular SS case? Not sure where you are located but this company is in EU/TR that may be able to help:
I never hear of this but it would actually make life a bit easier and the color more uniform

Reactions: R2L

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
To save some money, you can experiment on a cheap Pagani Design Daytona Homage (PD-1644), and send it to them to TI PVD coat it. If you like it, then splurge on a proper rep Daytona. If you dont, youre only out a few Euros/$
Thank you so much for the information. I’m trying to figure out how to reach out to them as I see they have a WhatsApp number. However, when I clicked it, it looks like it’s just a random person so I’m not sure if it’s them.

Mercedesslr

Supporter
Certified
2/12/19
That's the one. Him and Phong are the two I think of when talking V72 Daytonas.

Interesting project. Always fancied a custom Ti Sub case! Please post your method and progress!
Thank you so much once again. Any idea where I can see phong stuff? Curious to compare price points.