• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona 116500(Black)GEN and APS Comprehensive Comparison

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
Hi everyone, I'm Steve, I'm back and I seem to be back more often these days, hope you don't mind, haha.

Time flies, it's been more than a year since I did this kind of work, and I still remember Steve's first comparison post started with the daytona series, and recently the APS factory also released the daytona series, and it just so happens that I still have the genuine 116500 black in my hands, so let's take this opportunity to go back to the beginning.

As we all know, the market for the 4130 Daytona is currently dominated by two factories, clean and BT, and the choice of most models is either C or B. Although there are other factories joining them, they have failed to take a share of the pie from the "CB" combination. Today we will see how the newcomer APS performs.

c1ec9004.jpg
9673b844.jpg

Front Dial View

4dab6526.jpg

79ea51b9.jpg

Natual Light View

556c72bf.jpg
09d4d60b.jpg

View Under Light

acd09081.jpg

Sunlit view

By comparing the view in multiple environments, we can see the difference between the color of the subdial and the Gen. In fact, the color deviation is secondary, after all, it is inevitable, but mainly the reflectivity of the APS is a bit strong, which is where I think the most improvement is needed.

663f3348.jpg
cb5e0abf.jpg

Bezel View

The APS bezel is also a clean factory replacement bezel, the best ceramic Daytona bezel on the market today, with the same frontal width and lateral height as the Gen.

0b8ea49c.jpg
32e20134.jpg

Crystal Side View

The overall crystal is excellent, the thickness of the beveled edges is well controlled and the transparency I personally feel is good.

5d202c43.jpg
b544215a.jpg
902af4ce.jpg
711914bd.jpg
763bd806.jpg
3ed3e4dc.jpg
37b8fb3a.jpg
c5f19b01.jpg
2abe120b.jpg

Bezel Platinum coating

The Bezel is filled with vacuum plated 18K white gold, the colour is a slightly greyish white rather than pure white, the colour is almost indistinguishable from Gen (some of the figures appear slightly yellowish in the comparison view as the gen has been around for some time)

Last edited:
Reactions: RX7GP

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
3c432f44.jpg
57e6e8ab.jpg
c5970f2f.jpg

Crown and stick side view

The overall stick and crown maintain the style of a major manufacturer, especially the rounded edges of the stick,Objectively speaking, APS has taken great care in this area of detail.

949ce9df.jpg

68ca5dc1.jpg

Luminous Filled View

The luminous filling is also very granular, especially the stick, which is not inferior to gen.

eaf19a5b.jpg
31779dc6.jpg
3b81410d.jpg
28b8d37c.jpg
92294df2.jpg
92a1175f.jpg

Oil font View

Overall, the oil print is a bit lacking and the edges are a bit irregular, but of course all the small details are equal to the naked eye (Gen and reproduction are equal), so this is a minor or major problem. However, the font "DAYTONA" is a little too bold and feels a little too big.

95d61f47.jpg
eebb110e.jpg
a730e6eb.jpg

subdial view

The length of the hands is fine, they are in line with the Gen, but the Middle Axis is slightly flawed, the centre is raised a little high and there are some burn marks.

7d8251fc.jpg
c5cd103c.jpg
67af040a.jpg
00c507e9.jpg
23a8fe25.jpg
78de799a.jpg

side view of subdial

In contrast to the Gen, the subdials are a bit different in terms of grain and lettering, but of course this can be ignored, and as mentioned at the beginning, the main thing is that the reflections are rather severe.

Last edited:
Reactions: VIO88

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
85330530.jpg
fe266554.jpg
9378c669.jpg

Middle Axis View

The Middle Axis is the same problem as the subdials, the centre is raised too high, if it were sunk a little it would be very close to the Gen.

17f2beec.jpg
5f0769cc.jpg

Rehaut Side View

The engraving and clarity of the typeface are very good, but of course this is standard for a major manufacturer

098713cc.jpg

Endlink side view

The curvature of Endlink presents a good feeling and is overall very similar to Gen, with the same amount of sink at the lower edge as Gen

657b8d73.jpg
0dd4e670.jpg

Chronograph head view

In both the screwed and unscrewed position, the outer leakage of the chronograph crown remains consistent with Gen. As far as the pressing hand is concerned, after repeated tests, I personally think that APS is very good, the overall pressing and rebounding process is relatively smooth, with a strong sense of damping and rebounding, which seems to be off-topic, as these aspects are also influenced by the chronograph components of movement.

31053249.jpg
1ade4ed7.jpg

Case side view

You can review the data comparison chart at the end of the Comments for yourself, after all, the eye can make mistakes, but the data is not misplaced. Haha.

07610907.jpg
c18baead.jpg

Caseback view

The detailing of the back cover is very fine, the teeth are very rounded, especially in the frosted and brushed areas, which look very clean and neat.

7e794940.jpg
5707031b.jpg

Case engraving View

The case is engraved in parallel with Gen, which lacks depth, but this is due to the difference in craftsmanship and the difference is inevitable.

df3c350f.jpg
6cb8e5aa.jpg
6cb8e5aa.jpg
e628db50.jpg
bd888bd5.jpg
8de8257f.jpg

Strap Details View

Check out the strap details for yourself. There is not much more to say, I'm afraid I don't have enough vocabulary, so I'll have to save it, haha.

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
7ddc8ccc.jpg

Laser Marker View

The shape of the laser markers is still the same as in other reproduction factories. The gen is irregularly arranged from the side, something that no factory has done, although it is not a very important detail.

efbaac91.jpg

Luminous View

The luminous colours remain consistent. As mentioned earlier, the graininess is very strong and the actual result is the same.

Since we did not open the caseback to photograph the movement, as you may know, APS is equipped with the Shanghai (VR) calibre 4130, which the factory claims to have a power reserve of 70 hours, but after actual tests, it was confirmed that the movement has a power reserve of 66-68 hours, although it does not yet reach 70 hours,But the difference is already small, as the actual kinetic reserve of each movement varies slightly.

65555f7b.jpg
9aa17683.jpg
a338a7f8.jpg
80b01cd7.jpg
9e7cc409.jpg

Data comparison chart

Note: All watches are measured in a clamped state, and there may be errors due to the slight deviation of the position of the caliper. In addition, GEN intercepts the strap, and the factory has a steel strap protective film that has not been torn off.

Well, today's post is here, thank you guys for watching. If there are any mistakes, please correct me. If there is anything else I overlooked, you can put it up, and I will try my best to complete it. Welcome to comment and exchange!

I will continue to bring you more detailed comparisons between replica watches and GEN’s. And it is also for you to choose the favorite models conveniently.

Illustration: Some photos deviate from the real object due to the light source. For details, please refer to the content. The size of the comparison picture is relatively large, you can download it and enlarge it for comparison.

Thanks.

There is no perfect replica, only the one you prefer.

Steve

Telegram: u/Theonewatches_steve

WhatsApp: + 86-17081934955

Wechat: The5711

Last edited:

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
Great review Steve! I'm actually trying to decide right now which version to go with.. Was leaning BT..
Would you rate this APS above it now?

Tompa

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Thanks Steve! Amazing work as usual. The details on That braclet looks realy realy good

Last edited:

Sdc83

Renowned Member
20/1/13
Overall it is a good rep. The dial definitely needs to be updated, with "Daytona" writing less bold and above all with subdials less wide and with shade like gen. I also hope they make a 116520 with a better dial than Clean.

raspan1123

Certified
1/2/17
yikes, the dial is pretty meh…

comparison of the white version would be great as the sub-dial sizing seems to be more accurate on the white…

Emceerice

Getting To Know The Place
25/3/19
Nice to see somebody is able to get the coronet right. Sub-dials are disappointing.

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
Great review Steve! I'm actually trying to decide right now which version to go with.. Was leaning BT..
Would you rate this APS above it now?
It is not better than the BT at the moment, if the factory can improve the problems that exist in the sub-dial, then it's not bad, after all, the factory has just released it, just to see if it will be upgraded and improved in the future, and of course the SH4130 is yet to be tested by the market.

Micolash

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/23
EU
Overall it doesn't look bad, but those subdials need to be updated, they are awful!

Thanks for the comparison

johnchpark

1/12/22
South Korea
It is not better than the BT at the moment, if the factory can improve the problems that exist in the sub-dial, then it's not bad, after all, the factory has just released it, just to see if it will be upgraded and improved in the future, and of course the SH4130 is yet to be tested by the market.

I appreciate that dealers can give honest opinions, without just trying to sell everything as "best".
Thanks for the review