• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"custom" Rolex dial from legit? Site.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Vendors can make and sell refurbished/custom dials legally if they are using an actual Rolex dial as the base. I'm sure there's plenty of fudging going on in that market, so buyer beware. The base dial gets sandblasted to bare metal so aesthetically what you buy is no different than if they started with a cheap blank.

Also the customization that is done is completely up to the person doing it so there's no standardization or guarantee that anything will be gen-like. Fonts, markers, minute tics, colors, placement of elements, etc., is all totally unregulated.

I see a lot of things wrong with that dial compared to gen ‐ the 12 o'clock triangle is small, the hour markers too big, the DEEPSEA spacing is wrong, other text alignment and spacing issues, the color is off, fading into black is off. The biggest flaw is the 6 o'clock marker is crooked. I'd rather have a Noob DSSD dial that you can get from a TD for $35 than this one.

oP2KI.jpg

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Vendors can make and sell refurbished/custom dials legally if they are using an actual Rolex dial as the base. I'm sure there's plenty of fudging going on in that market, so buyer beware. The base dial gets sandblasted to bare metal so aesthetically what you buy is no different than if they started with a cheap blank.

Also the customization that is done is completely up to the person doing it so there's no standardization or guarantee that anything will be gen-like. Fonts, markers, minute tics, colors, placement of elements, etc., is all totally unregulated.

I see a lot of things wrong with that dial compared to gen ‐ the 12 o'clock triangle is small, the hour markers too big, the DEEPSEA spacing is wrong, other text alignment and spacing issues, the color is off, fading into black is off. The biggest flaw is the 6 o'clock marker is crooked. I'd rather have a Noob DSSD dial that you can get from a TD for $35 than this one.

oP2KI.jpg

Thank you! Very informative.

Reactions: KJ2020

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes that's my watch. Also available for viewing as the "Megalodon" (Deepsea Shark) haha.

15779469458640.jpg

That's a very nice dial you linked. It's unique, an MK1 having a distinctly different dial crown than nearly every other Rolex. The crown spires are much shorter on the outside and get taller toward the center spire. People like it or don't, you have to decide. I'm surprised you would go to an all black dial when the blue is so nice.

If you aren't happy with the ARF dial, chances are you wouldn't be happy with the Noob. Its a rep dial afterall, with non-rounded corners on the hour markers, etc. Plus the chance of lume mismatch. You'll run into the same issue with a gen dial and ARF hands.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Yes that's my watch. Also available for viewing as the "Megalodon" (Deepsea Shark) haha.

15779469458640.jpg

That's a very nice dial you linked. It's unique, an MK1 having a distinctly different dial crown than nearly every other Rolex. The crown spires are much shorter on the outside and get taller toward the center spire. People like it or don't, you have to decide. I'm surprised you would go to an all black dial when the blue is so nice.

If you aren't happy with the ARF dial, chances are you wouldn't be happy with the Noob. Its a rep dial afterall, with non-rounded corners on the hour markers, etc. Plus the chance of lume mismatch. You'll run into the same issue with a gen dial and ARF hands.

Well, the blue dial is impossible to find in gen.
Maybe I should just be pleased with the watch as is.
​​​​​​
​​​​​

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well, the blue dial is impossible to find in gen.
Maybe I should just be pleased with the watch as is.
​​​​​​
​​​​​

That's always a safe call bro. In fact I make myself not change anything on a watch for a while after I get one, cause great plans can take a while to develop or become available.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
That's always a safe call bro. In fact I make myself not change anything on a watch for a while after I get one, cause great plans can take a while to develop or become available.

That is really smart. I on the other hand as a person who seems to always go the extra mile and get a little crazy.

For example: within the four last years I have bought and completely renovated two houses by myself under the course of two months.

I hate to have work that is undone. Lol and I want everything to be perfect. I will redo it untill I'm satisfied even if it takes all night.

I'll see what the next step will be. I've already been halfway through the "make an offer" process at chrono24.

Thanks for the advise buddy. It's always nice to talk to the more experienced people here.

​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited: